The Eagle Deals

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by JBOCON, Mar 15, 2015.

1. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

I have now purchased two rolls of American Eagles, and feel like I got a good deal both times. The first roll from MCM
    image.jpg
    Then the second roll from APMEX.
    image.jpg
    I am done with the Silver Eagles for the year unless we get another price drop :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

If the price drops again then you will have overpaid on the two rolls you have already acquired, or lost the view that you got a "good deal both times". Purchasing from some dealers (non-APs) also means the product already carries mark-ups against your profiting earlier in the chain: Mint > Mint AP's > MCM > you. It's not a good deal until you sell them at a better profit than from whom you bought them. Takes time in bullion to get a good deal.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Do those prices include shipping and handling?

5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

The ad on eBay says Free shipping

6. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

Free shipping from both companies

7. krispy

krispy krispy

Keeping in mind though that such "free" incentives are already figured into the costs of overhead these large volume dealers trade in and save on themselves by contracting shipping companies for lower rates than individuals pay for the same shipping services.

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Maybe not related but I have always thought the Mint acted improperly when they regulated selling to AP exclusively. Why should there be a middleman? If public/private partnership was the goal then they should have contracted with a company to handle orders from you and me, not enriching others. My two cents.

9. Govt Mule

Govt Mule New Member

I agree, that's always been a problem with the ASE in my view. I have read & heard on many occasions that the mint charges a $2.00 over spot fee to the AP (I've never been able to document). Mark up is then passed on down the line. The mint/AP relationship has always left a "brown taste" with me, personally. I understand the ASE's prominent position, and in no way, am I trying to change anyone's opinion regarding the coin.

During the sub $16 pricing last week, I was attempting to make purchases with long term goals (grandchildren). I actually considered the ASE and looked at quite a few dealer offerings on monster boxes. I checked with SDBullion and the Docs were offering ASE's in any quantity (1-1500) for $2.25 over spot. In monster box (500) quantities, this price was close to competitive with Provident & BGASC.

I am not attempting to shill for SD, but for those of you who like the ASE and make purchases in small quantities, check their pricing.

Draft saved Draft deleted