The Dark Side?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Razz, Sep 29, 2019.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Note to self- I should make a similar dictionary over here. I think it's been done (by @geekpryde, maybe?), but perhaps a new and expanded version is in order.

(When I don't have 268 other irons in the fire.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

They can have a little fun over there on the Far Side...

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 6.19.24 PM.png

I cannot see a national mint getting away with this on a COIN.

lordmarcovan, Razz and Maxfli like this.
  4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I've lurked on the CU world forum for years, and that's where I first saw the term 'dark side' applied to world coins.

5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

It's an exponential leap. Going from being just a US collector to a world collector is kinda like . . .

[​IMG]

lordmarcovan, Chris B and Razz like this.
  6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Yes, I made one, but its exclusively acronyms. And yes, it would need to be expanded for World Coins. Thats a whole special lingo I have zero knowledge of. I'm glad to add it to the existing one if someone can compile a list for me that can be vetted by a few people to ensure accuracy.

7. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Two of my favorite world coin types: Mexican Cabalito and the Japanese Meji Dragon.

This isn't the DARK side, it's the RIGHT side!!! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Meiji dragon yen? Check!

Caballito peso? Very high on my to-do list!

mlov43 and ewomack like this.
  9. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

The dark side is just better in about every aspect right now. Here are a few of my favorites that are about the same cost as a pop 10,000 Morgan :D

This one is a 1690 3 Kreuzer from Salzburg. You can't tell in my crappy images but the coin is bent as struck. They used a coin roller press and some coins, especially the first struck, would come out bent. This one is in incredible condition as well with great eye appeal and still glittering mint luster on mark free surfaces. NGC graded it MS66 rightfully so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was acquired from the above @lordmarcovan and may be my favorite coin still. It just looks exactly how a 600 year old gold coin should look IMO

[​IMG]

Then like others have mentioned I love all the different Mexico types and am slowly putting together a type set for these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mlov43, Mr. Flute, ddddd and 6 others like this.
  10. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

I just stumbled across this thread. It's great reading all these accounts of collectors getting into world coins. As for me, I was never much of a US collector and then when I finally got a job and could afford coins, I was soon working overseas in the developing world. I soon found myself frequenting the bazaars, souks, and the money changers. The more remote the village, the better. I was lucky to be exposed to such a variety of coins at a price I could afford. I was able to get many items a couple of centuries old. And I've never looked back. World coins have been a passion for over 50 years.

Stork, ewomack, Chris B and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted