The coin you want vs. the coin you can afford

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inquisitive, Sep 12, 2014.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Consider this Inquisitive......I'm not sure of your age, but when I was younger I lusted after classic commemorative coins but could never afford them. Now I can. All things come to he that waits.........

spirityoda and Inquisitive like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ehhhhh, maybe. When I first read the title what I expected was something along the lines of - I want an MS65, but I can only afford an XF.

There are virtually countless examples of that happening. And because of the cost involved and an individuals personal circumstances, they may well never, ever, be able to afford the 65. But that won't ever stop them from wanting one. This situation, while not exactly the same, is similar.

My suggestion was more one of expanding your horizons, looking around, and maybe finding a pattern the design of which the person liked every bit as much as the original one they wanted, and maybe even more, but for a fraction of the cost. Thus making it affordable.

It's kind of like the guy who dearly loves chocolate ice cream. But when he goes to the ice cream shop and orders some - he is told they are out. So, he tries strawberry for the first time in his life. Once he tastes it, his reaction is - OMG this is good !!

It's the same thing with coins, how do you know what you will like, or how much you will like it, if you have never looked at it ?

For example, I always loved Saints when I collected US coins. But the ones I always wanted were so far out of my reach that I couldn't ever even dream of owning one. But then one day I switched over to collecting world coins. After a time, this coin came along -

1364 Cavalier D'Or obv.jpg 1364 Cavalier D'Or rev.jpg

Now here was a coin that was 10 times as rare as the Saints I always wanted. It was the finest known example in existence at the time. It had 100 times the history that any Saint could ever have. And yet the Saints I always wanted would have cost me 20-30 times what this coin did.

I found out that I just absolutely loved strawberry ;)

4. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Doug, I would double-like your post if I could.

Thank you for your wise words (and that is a gorgeous coin, even if I have no idea what a 1364 Cavalier D'Or is.)

spirityoda likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck, I did that for ya........:)

spirityoda and Kentucky like this.
  6. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

I love patterns. And I think that I would save up for one. However many of the trade dollar patterns run far past 1k. The goloid coins are neat and you could find one low 60 for a little over 2k if you look hard enough. Coinfacts is a great reference for info and more important pricing. There are patterns up for bid on eBay right now. I have the URL bookmarked on my iPad and check it often.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...53&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313#item5adf32a42e

My advise is not to buy bin coins but bid on the open auction coins starting at 0.99. The bins are usually overpriced compared to coinfacts prior sales.

I started a pattern thread here and posted a goloid I own. I'm by no means a pattern expert or a coin expert at all but they are very pretty coins to own.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/post-your-patterns.250266/

7. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

NO! I refuse to join the dark side!:D

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I said that in post #2 :)

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Triple

10. onecenter

onecenter Member

I had no idea there was a nickel pattern piece of the Confederation Centennial 25-cent piece. The Canadian Confederation Centennial is one of my favorite sets of coins minted anywhere.

It is amazing what learn on Coin Talk!

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

dark side is where it's at (way more variety). join..we got cookies. lol :hilarious: if not strawberry...Pistachio!!! :)

green18 and Inquisitive like this.
  12. GDJMSP

1546-56 Aust Neth real d'or obv.JPG 1546-56 Aust Neth real d'or rev.JPG 1581 Rose Noble obv.jpg 1581 Rose Noble rev.jpg Lion d'or -  1375-67 obv Louis De Male.jpg Lion d'or - 1365-67  rev Louis De Male.jpg
    Oh if you only knew how many people have said to me - and then did ;)

'Course I gave them, shall we say, gentle nudges along the way :)

edit - I tried to fight it, but the devil won :D

13. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

In answer to the OP's original question, I would recommend (as others have said) holding off for the coin you really want.

For me, its not about potential resale value of the "better" coin, it's more about the thrill of the hunt. Searching for your desired coin can be exciting, and finding it even more so. "Settling" for a more pedestrian coin would leave me feeling unfulfilled. Keep looking (and saving) your coin is out there, and you will know it when you find it.

Just my 2 cents.

spirityoda likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

I will of course echo everyone's advice regarding saving up and exercising patience when it comes to a coin you want. I have always said that patience is second only to knowledge in this hobby. And that patience is usually the hardest virtue there is to acquire when it comes to coins.

But, it is still important to recognize that sometimes a given coin will forever be out of your reach, or at least have a very high probability of forever being out of your reach. And when such a thing is recognized, that is the time to expand your horizons.

15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I promise to read all posts before replying next time :)

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I've always wanted an 1804 Dollar but all I can afford is an Eisenhower Dollar.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  17. MadMartigan

MadMartigan Active Member

Start saving your pennies

spirityoda likes this.
  18. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Personally if I bought coins below my expectations all I would do is begin to hate and resent my coin.

19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Obviously, you have looked at the bi-metal multiple times. Do you have some coins you examined only when you bought them, and never since?

If you do have coins you paid too little for, but give little attention to, they likely will bring little when resold and, because you got little enjoyment from owning them, will have paid you no dividends of any kind.

I think you and medoraman both understood my point, which is to prioritize your spending toward those coins you know you will admire repeatedly, versus those which seem too cheap, but aren't truly special to you.

- Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted