The 2017 prediction thread - What's next for metals this year?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Jan 16, 2017.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The very best political posts are the ones where you can tell it's political, but you have no idea which side the poster is supporting. ;)

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

No point in taking sides, the big issues are in everyones best interest.

4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

No point in taking sides, the big issues are in everyone,s best interest.

5. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

This is true. Even if you get lucky and sell your house at the top of the market doesn't that mean you are also buying your next house at the top of the market ?

6. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

A roof over your head is a pretty important investment in your life. I am looking forward to having it paid off, housing costs are a big part of living - especially those in retirement. Besides having no mortgage in retirement - if things got bad - I could sell my home, and the yearly interest off the sale money would more than cover a very nice senior apartment in the area, and utilities for me and my wife.

But I suppose it depends on what your investing for....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Interest rates up...PM prices down.

crazyd and stoster38 like this.
  8. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

just waiting for the time to be right to sell off my 100 kilos!

yakpoo likes this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I bought 27 ounces of silver today at 80 cents over spot. I know full well that the interest rate hike is probably coming this coming week or so but, I was at a coin show and couldn't resist 80 cents over. I predict a dip in PM's for only a couple of weeks, which is good because I have some expendable cash to buy and I am ready to throw down. I predict only a few weeks because there is still a lot of uncertainty out there in the big old world.

Seattlite86 and longnine009 like this.
  10. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Used carefully they can be piggy banks. I've got my primary home which is "home" and then a few other properties that are investments.

The key is never moving the leverage out of a property. Don't get a loan to put against something else. If you get a loan, use it to improve the existing property.

And let's also remember that a lot of the families involved were also trying to "get rich quick" and take advantage of increasing equity.

But I digress. Diversify, make sure you can afford the bad times, and have a rainy day fund.

Seattlite86 and chascat like this.
  11. Aquahollic

Aquahollic ֍ E Pluribus Unum ֎

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Not trying to dig on you, but I really only try to buy at or under melt. If you're already buying over spot, you're already losing money. Just my two cents.

13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

This thread got dug up. The good news is I have been getting Junk 90% at under melt the last three months. I still can't get rounds or bars at or under melt. ASE's I can get at $2.50 over melt. What is your secret?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

If I told you my secret, it wouldn't be my secret :p I will say that I don't buy often and I don't have any specific reliable source. It's more of a moment of opportunity type thing.

15. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Bingo bingo bingo... You gotta hunt, and be prepared with cash on hand.

Last week I bought a lot of scrap gold on Ebay and I could see that it possibly had a diamond ring in it. I bought the lot, sold the ring for 5 times what I paid for it (which was melt value) and took the rest of the gold scrap to my LCS for 90%

I earned 8% Ebay bonus bucks and 2% cash back on the card. I've got all my money back, made a couple hundred on a quick flip, saved a diamond ring from the melt factory - and the bill isn't due until next month.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I remember when in the past of CT ,a financial situation came up that affected the economy of the country as well as bullion, and the dollar ratio to foreign currency, and it seems to be possibly coming again soon to our neighborhood. If you want to make it political here, Don't! , treat it as a 'heads-up' to investment bullion or what ever, make your own decisions.

The news over the economics feeds yesterday concerns the upcoming debt limit speculation in congress, evidently sooner than was expected. Here is a "neutral" paper on the history of the subject prepared by the US Senate Research group. It has been done under many varying administrations, so it should be political neutral, so Please keep it that way. It is important to larger bullion ( and even paper/stock/cash for that matter) investors ,to watch and prepare. The political side can be found on your favorite newsgroups and TV networks, AND keep it there, but just try to understand as best as one can what it is, and then make preparations accordingly ,... or do nothing. Perhaps it is just a ripple, but last time of possible crisis, many of the bullion newsletters tended to shade the facts( IMO) that it was "the end of the USD" , of course it wasn't, but bullion did go up....and then later very down. So be wary and suspicious.

https://www.senate.gov/CRSpubs/d2c8f833-9796-4b3e-9462-6b1755ef463d.pdf

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted