The 2017 prediction thread - What's next for metals this year?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

So here we are in a new year, with a new government - and a new playbook!

Let's throw some ideas and thoughts around, and figure out how we all make a buck or three on metals this year!

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I long ago gave up the idea of being able to see what an investment market will be doing over a year. Events simply move too fast -- and as Brexit and the presidential election showed -- too unpredictably.

Dynoking and Stevearino like this.
  4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Copper should climb up to where it should be...the $3.50ish range

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I predict a new movie will debut on the market as a sequel to Battleship. It will be called.........

Trump This!

Greg Smith and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  6. Brett_in_Sacto

I predicted both :) Of course I'm not betting the farm on my predictions...just small pieces of the barn here and there.

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I've given up as well trying to determine the direction of the PM market...but I continue to purchase a small monthly order of silver bullion. And it has added up quite nicely over the last 12 months or so....now if only the price per ounce would raise a bit more:greedy::D

SilverMike and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I think something globally will happen that will cause metals to go up. Not a zombie apocalypse but something to make stackers happy.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

At that price, 142 alloyed Lincoln cents containing 95% copper will be worth 87.5c.

Chris

Stevearino likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I hope silver rises, after I finish purchasing all my silver... As far as predictions, I bet it goes up and down and settles around $20/ounce (Disclaimer: I have ZERO qualifications to be predicting anything beyond my next meal. If you buy or sell silver based on what I wrote, you are, respectfully, an idiot).

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I started tracking PM options/futures ... they basically drive the market price.
    So options in the future tend to be the PM price NOW.

whatever .. nothing to really try and predict anymore just read the news and more news and try to correlate it to what already happened.

Curtisimo likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since the option trading houses and the gold/silver exchange basically control the bid and ask by the margin, If the margin on accounts are decreasing, the price is going the direction the exchanges want for their gain. If not then the trading margin is increased, and they will depress it back. Many traders were so sure silver would go to $100 and Gold to $5000, they gave the houses quite a run. but the trading margins were increased until it choked off the options and prices crashed back down as no one wanted to risk a bigger loss. The winners were those that got in and out first, and of course the exchange houses. The losers were those that generally bought in later. Holding for a catastrophic world will usually be a losing trade. Buy and Sell often when you have a profit. Many small profits add up to more than any big loss.

13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Count me in the loser column. I bought when silver was working its way to $30. Haven't sold and won't until an emergency, crazy hike in silver or when I pass from this earth.

Garlicus likes this.
  14. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I predict it will go up, then down, then up, then down, etc.

Well, someone had to say it!

15. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

at least you're honest

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Silver: $14-$19
    Gold: $1100-$1400

Pretty much what we all expect, I think.

17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

My only plan: buy low, don't buy high.

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

As long as silver stays about $6.50 an ounce and gold stays above $515 I'm good.

yakpoo and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  19. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

You can get some decent bell bottoms for $6.50.

20. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I bought tubes off ASEs at $7.00.
    I wish I bought a bunch of St Gaudens when they were $400-450. But I was hoping gold would drop .. never did. Now I want a couple St Gaudens/Indians AU+ for my collection but nowhere near $450 .. 2-1/2 x that.

I guess sometimes being cheap doesn't pay.

Garlicus and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  21. Brett_in_Sacto

I am picturing silver touching 24-25 this year, and gold touching 1450-1500. My guess is by early summer, and then we'll see a pullback to levels just above where we are now.

Meanwhile, gold did pop over $1200 this week. Quietly creeping back up.

Now all I need to do is find an abandoned dredge and put it in the American River without anyone knowing, and I'll be rich. :smuggrin::smuggrin: :rolleyes:

slackaction1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted