Tell me about 35% War Nickles

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Jun 10, 2017.

1. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Hoarding them is fine and of course a smart thing to do. Buying them at 19x is a whole different story. Of course if I notice one in loose change I pull it out and keep it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ordinary Fool

Ordinary Fool Active Member

@goldcollector Generally, I agree although there are many much less wise things people can do with their money. If you ever get a peculiar interest, price some of those mil or industrial spec metals of silver and magnesium alloys.

Those for radiation shielding would be a fast track clue. Think Trinity and why you would be better off with clothing of war nickels, or the delicate instruments in your special machine, protected with them, instead of plain cheap lead.

Nickels could have been made from a very inexpensive lead alloy with about the same toughness as silver magnese.

Another suggestion is that you'll never buy cupronickel, prepackaged and ready for production, cheaper than 5 cents per coin. It too has widespread manufacturing uses and I believe sooner than later, its price will climb towards that of certain duplex and super duplex metals.

BU war nickels at 20x face? There are lots of coin investments far sillier.

4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I like war Nickels. I like 40% Kennedys too. I hoard everything. Lol.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm having a hard time following this. Why, exactly, do you think war nickels would be better for blocking radiation than an equivalent weight (at much lower cost) of lead? To block gamma or X-ray, you want high atomic number and mass, period. There's no way an alloy containing only lighter elements could beat lead. To block alpha and beta, you want simple plastic and foil. To block neutrons, you want water and distance.

Also, to tell you the truth, the vision of a post-apocalyptic leader striding across a bleak and blasted landscape in fatigues studded with war nickels doesn't make me want to hoard the things; it makes me want to giggle.

But they wouldn't have had the same electrical characteristics, which was one of the main drivers in the selection process.

That's... really going out on a limb, given that 5 cents is the lowest face value of such coins.

Of course there are. There are whole TV programs devoted to "coin investments" that will return you 20% of your original outlay if you're lucky. But given a choice between an expected 25-30% haircut and an expected 10% haircut, go with the lower spread. Unless you really hate long hair.

6. Ordinary Fool

Find out where it is used for radiation shielding instead of lead.

Had you been sitting on many metric tons of common channel iron at the turn of this most recent century, less than 4 years in you could have retired.

Why didn't cupronickel go for the same ride as many very common metals, or did it?

It appears most objecting to war nickels are bullion folks only. BU pre or post war nickels at 20X face aren't offensive to anyone that likes nickels, or maybe even any nice coins potentially very collectible and with valuable surprises waiting to be found.

7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

While I change my collecting style from moderns to ancients I do still like the war nickels.
    I collect for fun as a hobby and not for investment.
    With that said here is 2 that I have photograghed.

1942-S  War Nickel [JA]- .jpg 1943-S War Nickel.jpg

8. -jeffB

I'm not in the field. If you know why I'm wrong, please explain.

My objections are based solely on expected ROI. Of course BU nickels at 20x face can be a great buy, and cherry-picking ("valuable surprises") is fun and rewarding if you have the time, knowledge, and patience. That's not what the OP was asking about; he specifically mentioned bulk war nickels as a junk-silver investment. They're a poor choice relative to the alternatives. The fact that you can easily buy them close to melt masks the fact that you can't easily sell them anywhere close to that.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. -jeffB

Let the record show that I would happily pay 20x face for any example like that. :)

Ordinary Fool and Smojo like this.
  10. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

They should never have been called nickels...

11. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Good god! What the hell are you talking about, looney toons?

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  12. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

War nickels will protect us from nuclear war? Did I get that right? Why is this discussion on a coin forum? I'm a little confused.

Dynoking likes this.
  13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I guess we can call that used condition..LOL

14. Ordinary Fool

@myownprivy if you don't understand, perhaps you may be "looney tunes" Edited

So juvenile ad hominen is ok here? I do it just as well as anyone, if so.

Edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2017
  15. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

If I can get a 1943/2 at a bullion price I'll take it.

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Stop now! No one has a right to retaliate themselves on a comment. Looney toons during their time was considered OK, but as Warner brothers said in the past:

The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in the U.S society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming that these prejudices never existed.

So it should not be used to comment on someone's actions or comments, but commenting on mental disabilites , maritial situations, etc, is even more serious as it is a current understanding.

So STOP, Everyone.

17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I don't recall when or what I gave for the top one the 42 S and for some reason have no record of it. Which means to me I didn't pay much for it.
    Bu the second the 43 S, I paid a tad more than 20x face for.

18. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

I'll admit I paid 80xface for BU warnicks at a rummage sale one time. I just really like nickels and they were beautifully golden toned (first trip through the spectrum). The duplicates I had after picking the sweetest ones to keep fetched 120xface on the bay and made mine free so I was happy. So were the buyers. I do have a lot of extra time on my hands after little man goes to bed though lol.

Smojo likes this.
  19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins in post 26 Smojo.
    All of my war nicks are circulation finds (more fun for me that way, it's easy to just buy a coin but hard to find one in circ.)
    However, one time I was working in a liquor store and every time I opened the register one of the nickels looked different than the others. (tone) I didn't think about it but when I finally looked at it at the end of the shift, it was a 44-P in XF/AU condition which I immediately replaced with a nickel.

Smojo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted