Tell me about 35% War Nickles

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Jun 10, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Was on APMEX site and found the 35% War Nickles just wanted to see if this
    Was worth adding to my junk pile..LOL

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

My opinion would be pass.

dwhiz likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

5. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

No. Unless you can get them well under spot.

6. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

From what I've read the small manganese content within the war nickels makes extracting the silver more difficult and therefore more costly.

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

They're fun but I don't think they really add any significant value. If you're not buying them under melt, you're probably losing out in the long run. Just my two cents. I like to dig through them to look for varieties and errors. :)
    1943 P Lamination Error.jpg

Ordinary Fool likes this.
  8. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

You are better off looking at 90%.

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They are only a good deal if you buy them at face value like I do.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They're bulky for the amount of silver they contain, and trade at a big discount. You'll find that war nickels seem cheap to buy, but they'll seem a lot cheaper when you try to sell.

APMEX currently has them listed at 19.43x face, with a buyback price of 14.30x. That means you lose 26.4% selling back.

Compare that to ASEs, at 18.01/19.85, a 9.3% hit. For 90%, it's 11.91/13.19, a 9.7% hit.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Ordinary Fool

Ordinary Fool Active Member

They are far better to hoard than a zinc penny and even a copper penny. Neither of them are bad to hoard since they contain industrial metals and logic dictates the world's mines won't produce infinite quantities, scale of economy mattering not.

Cupronickels aren't bad things either and those who are holding masses of them, will win when the mundane metals market is inevitably corrected just as it was partially corrected about 15 years ago.

If nothing else, they will become more collectible when our country ceases being the last to use nickel for coins. If any others currently still do, it's certainly not of any significant scale and keep in mind, nickel isn't dirt cheap like bismuth or zinc.

It is used for many things, including the building of war machines which is why you are holding a war nickel devoid of nickel. It was in more demand than silver.

If you think nickel is cheap or of no use, head down to your local farmers co-op and price a 99Ni welding rods comparing it to common 6011's or 7018's.

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Why are you thinking of buying them? If it is for the silver value, forget it. If it is as a hedge against inflation of a financial crisis consider buying them below spot. But don't expect to make a profit on them unless silver jumps up a lot.

13. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

You can buy a roll (of 20, $1 face, 1.125 asw) for spot through Apmex. If you're dead set on getting some, I don't think it would hurt to pick up one roll.

You'd be taking little to no risk on such a small amount, and you'd have yet another item to add to your collection. Beyond that, though, it would be an unwise investment.

Apmex buys them back for 26.5% LESS! My local coin shop is 25% under spot. My other local coin shop will not buy back.

14. mpcusa

Sounds like a loser :( i think i will stick with the pre 64 Kennedy,s

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are no pre 64 Kennedys.

16. Ordinary Fool

I buy them in circulated grades for 50 cents each and finding some of the varieties in those nickels typically puts me in them much less.

Easy study and some of them are readily picked off even worn down in lower grades. The 3/2 for example.......... all you have to do is look carefully.

17. Ordinary Fool

@Seattlite86 I'd guess I find a laminate error at least every roll, if not multiples per roll.

The one you posted looks like a keeper for sure and looks busier than just a typical run-of-the-mill laminate error.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Ordinary Fool

@Mad Stax

Just like our 95/5 cents have uses as-alloyed and melting makes production ready:

"Nickel Manganese is one of numerous metal alloys sold by American Elements under the trade name AE Alloys™. Generally immediately available in most volumes, AE Alloys™ are available as bar, ingot, ribbon, wire, shot, sheet, and foil. Ultra high purity and high purity forms also include metal powder, submicron powder and nanoscale, targets for thin film deposition, and pellets for chemical vapor deposition (CVD) and physical vapor deposition (PVD) applications. American Elements produces to many standard grades when applicable, including Mil Spec (military grade); ACS, Reagent and Technical Grade; Food, Agricultural and Pharmaceutical Grade; Optical Grade, USP and EP/BP (European Pharmacopoeia/British Pharmacopoeia) and follows applicable ASTM testing standards. Typical and custom packaging is available. Primary applications include bearing assembly, ballast, casting, step soldering, and radiation shielding."

https://www.americanelements.com/nickel-manganese-alloy

Who cares about merely extracting the silver from a perfectly, or at least easily usable/tailorable industrial/mil grade alloy?

Ya reckon that was part of the plan just in case they had to be melted in the event the war went on longer than hoped? I do.

Some might complain about extracting stainless from 2205's other pesky metals if our coins were made of them for no seeming rational reason at all. Or maybe 17-7 with its pesky carbon and such.

Plenty of metals/elements on this planet are much more expensive than silver or gold, even if they were priced as shown today on the debt clock.

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I like the war nickels very much. But not for the silver/ bullion. Just a cool coin that they only made for a few years. The last one I got was in a Coin Star. 1942-S, worn very smooth, but I didn't have any 1942 silver nickels.

20. mpcusa

Sorry typo LOL

Michael K likes this.
  21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It's my favorite :)

Draft saved Draft deleted