Superman Maples

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

imgres.jpg Anyone buying these? I have ten so far and am planning on buying a tube of them. Beautiful coins!

jaceravone likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Just don't pay more than metal value.

4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Too late, I paid $3.50 over spot for mine. They are a hot item at Coin Shows and my coin club. They are RCM so that makes them legit.

5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I haven't and probably wont buy any of these, but I will pay up to that much of a premium for a round that I really like the design of. Although other than eagles, I don't usually buy multiples of the same round. If I fall in love with a design on a round i'll get one for posterity. Again, I'm a buyer, never a seller, so spot price doesn't concern me too much.

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I'm usually a generic round guy when it comes to my bullion. I think these are so awesome though. Going to spend a lot on them for collecting and selling.

Nathan401 likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Most people will call them gimmicky, but I think they turned out well and a nice change of pace from the same design every year. Might even get some cross over appeal with those too

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I would like to see a Batman one next year. The radial lines add such a nice touch to them.

9. baseball21

Those lines are actually my favorite part about them. I do think they make a great contrast and add a little extra to any design they use them on. Hopefully more things in the future will implement designs like that. Australia did a similar one this year with a Kangaroo that I think turned out great. Nice changes of pace from just vast open fields every time

10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

These are official currency too! That is one thing I like so much about them. They are not just rounds.

11. baseball21

All the government issued rounds will have a denomination on them well below their melt value. Not everything that comes from the British Crown countries can actually be used though particularly England and Canada where last I heard the Royal mint had told banks to stop accepting some for deposit or at least they didn't have too. I believe the series most impacted were the 20 for 20s and things like that. But I would double check anything from Canada or England about whether or not it is really is considered currency

12. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I'm confused. A Superman coin with a British queen on the front and CANADA on the back. If memory serves me, the Superman motto is "Truth, justice and the American way." I don't get it.

medjoy likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Ahhh, yeah, about that. Better read the fine print on Canadian (and British) ideas surrounding bullion coins with a face value. Turns out they're not really as "legal tender" as you may have thought they were, not that it matters much. Definitely NOT currency.

14. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

There was a comic book I saw a while back. It was sort of a "what if" graphic novel based on "what if the craft that flew baby Superman landed in Communist USSR." It was called Red Son, and it was Supe as a champion of Russia with a hammer and sickle o his ches
    There was a comic book I saw a while back. It was sort of a "what if" graphic novel based on "what if the craft that flew baby Superman landed in Communist USSR." It was called Red Son, and it was Supe as a champion of Russia with a hammer and sickle o his chest.
    Your comment made me think of that. Good point.

Bman33 likes this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That kind of took the wind out of my sails. So Kurt, it's not like an ASE as far as redeemable value? You're right that it doesn't matter much because I'm going for the bullion value money wise.

16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I read that comic book also. Written by Mark Millar. One of the best Superman Stories ever IMO.

Nathan401 likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Yup. If silver ever gets near $5 CDN, it's "game over" anyway.

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I think that was added later. Canada claims Superman is Canadian, and Toronto is Metropolis. I believe one of the people who drew him was Canadian which is why they believe this, even though Superman was invented by two American kids in Cleveland.

treehugger likes this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

Worse yet, the capsule from Krypton lands in downtown Mogadishu, Somalia. I got your 50 cal on the back of a pickup truck right here, pal.

20. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I was with the 10th Mountain Division in Somalia back in early 1993-1994 time frame. We set up camp small former Italian town called Merca along the coast closer to Kismayo. We actually have a book published about the exploits of 2nd Battalion, 87th Rifle Regiment 10th MTN Division called "Somalia on $5 dollars a day" written by Major Stanton. I was literally transported via my mind back to those days when you said Mogadishu, Somalia. Just wondering? Those were the days...glad I am a civilian now.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Here's my Superman's. One of the first things I bought when I first started getting into coins...

20150415_20150415_091323_opt.jpg

Santinidollar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted