'Sup with that?: 19 USC & 2606 or Another bureaucratic Pyrrhic Victory

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Been buying from Savoca for a while now and never noticed THIS:
    20201021_162934.jpg

Seems like they are now having to reassure me, the buyer, and possibly cover their own buns, by sending me, with my purchase, this declaration that governments whom have/had nothing to do with (except for maybe a few scraps of ancient DNA) the societies and the people of their region of living have no right stealing back what I reasonably purchased to use for their own nefarious means! Hmpfff
    Ok, to get off my soap box, here's 1 of the three show stoppers I recieved (I've already shown you the Philip V Macedonian in a separate thread
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ou...hilip-and-perseus-from-ancient-greece.368506/).
    And I CANNOT wait to share the third Roman coin...
    But, to keep it legal, here's a crazy unique Macedonian shield coin of PYRRHUS!!!
    Oh, you've seen the type before. Maybe. Yeah, on Saturday I sneakily snuck up from under everyone's noses a retrograde reverse of this highly desirable and sought after all time great general for chicken scratch!
    giphy-3.gif
    A type I cannot find another example of immediately.
    Oh yeah, he was Alexander the great's 2nd cousin on Olympia's side. Why yes, he was Hannibal's 2nd favorite/greatest general, wedged between, Alexander and Scipio. And yes(!), he DID chase the Roman's, in their PRIME, off the field of battle... twice... much to Pyrrhus consternation. Creating a personal favorite word reference, a pyrrhic victory:wacky:
    16029536987605157954538919483773-removebg-preview.png
    Kings of Macedon. Uncertain mint. Pyrrhos (of Epiros) 287-285 BC.
    Bronze Æ
    18 mm., 3,17 g.
    very fine

Please post your comments, so long as they are accompanied by shield coins, coins of or related to Pyrrhus or any thoughts on this silly, frustrating aaand concerning notice recieved... with a cool coin pic of course:woot:!

Andres2, zumbly, Herodotus and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ah, kool coin...love the chicken..and ya can't blame'em for the disclaimer...:)..they are probably doing like 'the good doctor'(& others), selling coins from previous collections...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  4. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

The "Like " I just gave you is for the coin, very nice I might add!!
    Not for the bureaucratic jibber jabber that Savoca sent you.
    527 Byzuntina empia copy.jpg
    This is close as I get to an ancient that I have pics of.

Alegandron, DonnaML, ominus1 and 7 others like this.
  5. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

The United States has agreed to what are called "memoranda of understanding" with a number of nations regarding the import of antiquities, including coins. Many types of ancient coins can only be imported into the United States if it can be proven that they left their country of origin before the effective date of the appropriate memorandum (or with an export certificate). These memoranda flow from the 1970 UNESCO Convention which regulates international trade in "cultural property". Signatory states are obliged to address concerns of fellow signatories, resulting in the memoranda which outline the remedy (i.e. import restrictions). This is nothing new. So far, the memoranda have been only sporadically enforced. Some European auction houses have had shipments to the US detained or seized and are taking proactive measures, such as the letter referenced above.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  6. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Lately I see a lot of problems regarding import of Ancient Coins, recently I got a similar problem in Zwitzerland, it was stuck at the border for 2 weeks since they suspected it was 'cultural property'.

Anyway, great addition of our great general Pyrrhos, King of Macedon!

[​IMG]
    Kingdom of Macedon. Pyrrhos. Bronze coin (287–285 B.C. and 274-273 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Macedonian shield with monogram of Pyrrhos (ΠYP) in central boss.
    Reverse: BA - ΣI, with Labrys monogram in middle. Macedonian helmet within oak wreath.
    Reference: HGC 3 I, 272 (this coin); AMNG 1
    4.13g; 17mm

Edessa, ominus1, +VGO.DVCKS and 4 others like this.
  7. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

The amount of cultural property stored away in warehouses around Berne is an international scandal-but hey oh !

Finn235 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Personally, I just think it is a CYA letter. I read it, file it, and don't worry about it... NEXT!

On to posting COINS!!!

SHIELD COINS:

upload_2020-10-22_14-45-14.png
    RR Malleolus Albinus Caecilius Metellus AR Den 20.0mm 3.7g Rome 96 BCE ROMA - Roma seated L pile of shields spear and sword Vict Cr335-1b Syd611a

upload_2020-10-22_14-49-17.png
    Marsic Confederation denarius 89 BCE Italia-Italia seated on shields victory Corfinium mint Campana retro B 105 HN Italy 412a Sear 228 RARE

upload_2020-10-22_14-47-16.png
    Syracuse Sicily Pyrrhus Epirus 278-276 BCE AE Litra 11.4g 23.3mm Herakles Nemaean Lion scalp - Athena Promachos tbolt shield SNG Cop 813, SNG ANS 852 Left

upload_2020-10-22_14-48-25.png
    RR T Quinctius Flamininus 126 BC AR Den Roma Diosc gallpng T-Q Macedon Shield S 143 Cr 267-1

Edessa, Andres2, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chuckle....
    upload_2020-10-22_16-13-35.png

Ryro likes this.
  10. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I might add that letters such as this are not intended for the buyer but for customs agents examining the parcel.

Andres2, ominus1, Ryro and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Love the responses so far, but still waiting to see another retrograde reverse, on any shield coin, led alone the always popular Pyrrhic type:wideyed:!
    Take a closer look if you missed it the first time BA= start of word King
    Followed by the Pyrrhus monogram
    And the remainder of basileus... BACKWARDS!!!
    16029536987605157954538919483773.jpg

Edessa, Johndakerftw, Andres2 and 2 others like this.
  12. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

That's cool it is retrograde. There are quite some varieties in the reverse, monogram of Pyrrhos in the middle, or a labrys in the middle or no monogram at all, just BA SI. But I haven't seen a retrograde inscription yet, good find!

Ryro likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Dude, I ALREADY posted a RETROGRADE shield coin... Oscan language is retrograde.

[​IMG]
    Marsic Confederation denarius 89 BCE Italia-Italia seated on shields victory Corfinium mint Campana - Oscan language retrograde B 105 HN Italy 412a Sear 228 RARE

Draft saved Draft deleted