Out of the ashes: Philip V and Perseus! The second greatest Philip and Perseus from ancient Greece

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

The Diadochi had splintered Alexander the great's empire 10 ways from Tuesday by the time Philip V

sevt-s.jpg

exploded onto the scene with his daring exploits that resurrected Macedon like a Phoenix from the ashes!

56408587_2602744999798392_4448096198795984896_o-483x1024.jpg

Followed by his less successful but no less daring son, Perseus, the father son duo would lead Macedon back to the heights it hadn't seen since Philip II all the way to the lowest of lows, an all out Roman partition of lands and then takeover. Perseus is considered the last king of Macedon... at least for a couple thousand years until another king would take over the realm.

tenor-19.gif

Handsome and fit Philip V cut a dashing figure. Nicknamed beloved of the Hellenes, for all he'd given to the Macedonian people (through cunning, piracy aaand diplomacy) Philip V is someone that dared to be great.
    Which is why I was so pleased to get this beauty (who kinda looks like she's emerged from the ashes herself)

16029537564965600288625232255314-removebg-preview.png
    Kings of Macedon. Pella, District Bottiaia. Time of Philip V - Perseus 187-168 BC.
    Bronze Æ
    24 mm., 9,63 g.
    very fine

It was his cousin, Antigonus Doson, that was regent to Philip V until the young man came of age.
    IMG_4212.jpg
    Antigonos II Gonatas/Antigonus III Doson
    Æ (13mm, 1.8 g,1/2 unit). Uncertain Macedonian mint. Macedonian shield with monogram of Antigonos in central boss / Macedonian helmet sans bushel flanked by grain ears ; kerykeion to left, green patina.
    Possibly singular for the type

And despite all the wars and lives lost ultimately it was Perseus who history looks back on as the one to lose it all
    20190615_205950_271FB41D-CF08-48C7-B9AE-DA7992478FD9-3216-000003D03A1589AE.png
    Perseus
    (179-168 BC).Bronze. Pella or Amphipolis.Vs: Head of Perseus with Phrygian helmet and Harpa over the shoulder right.Rs: B-A. Eagle on lightning bundles standing to the left, head turned right; In the field left monogram, in the section Sigma. 19 mm. 6.01 g.HGC 3, 1099. rare.

Here's a few MSCs of theirs from my collection:
    upload_2020-10-17_11-9-7.png

So please help me celebrate their legacy by posting your Macedonian coins, Roman takeover of macedon coins or whatever raises your Phoenix from the ashes:hilarious:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...ah, good 2 C u Ryro....on this special occasion, i will post a coin of King Perseus 179-178BC..:)..(that i just took..again:D..1st pic shaky)..from what i remember about him, he was basically a prisoner of the Romans, wasn't he?!...although they said he was a 'guest'..kinda like 'liberation' & conquering eh?!:rolleyes: perseus 002.JPG perseus 005.JPG

4. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Wow ! Cool poster !

+VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice group, @Ryro !

MAKEDON

PERSEUS

[​IMG]
    Makedon Perseus 178-168 BCE AE 23 Poseidon Club

PHILIP V
    [​IMG]
    Makedon Amphipolis Philip V - Perseus - lost empire to Romans - helmet
    Tetrobol

No Gonatas...

7. Ryro

If you like that, you really need to go to burger king!

8. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great coins @Ryro! I really enjoy your shield coin collection!

I should get more coins of the Macedonian kings, I have too few.
    Here a coin minted by Perseus to pay Cretan mercenaries:
    [​IMG]
    Kings of Macedon. temp. Perseus. 179-168 BC. AR Drachm. Third Macedonian War issue. Magistrate Hermias, Uncertain mint in Thessaly (Struck circa 171/0 B.C).
    Obverse:
    Head of Helios facing slightly right.
    Reverse: Rose with bud to right; EPMIAΣ above, Z-Ω flanking stem.
    Reference: Price, Larissa, pl. LV, 247; SNG Keckman 795.
    2.67g; 17mm

9. Ryro

Excellent coin to add to the thread!
    His story had lots of ebbs and flows but ultimately is a sad one.
    Man, I had to search for a loooooong time to get a nice harpa reverse (now I've a few:troll:). His namesake's weapon of choice:
    share5848413496555896604.png

+VGO.DVCKS, Edessa, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  10. Ryro

An absolute show stopper right there, my man. VERY envious :troll::troll::troll: of that late hellenistic masterpiece:artist:
    Complimentary, my tet from the period comes from a different branch of the Diadochi
    20190326_172150_ACE5DBD0-870B-4974-9441-1B8D7515863A-406-000000E6E32D723A.png
    MACEDONIAN KINGDOM. Alexander III the Great (336-323 BC). AR tetradrachm (15.98 gm). About VF, countermark, graffito. Late posthumous issue of Perga, dated CY 27 (195/4 BC). Heracles wearing lion-skin, AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus seated left on backless throne, right leg drawn back, feet on ground line, eagle in right hand, scepter in left; KI in left field, Seleucid anchor countermark in rectangle in outer right field. Price 2941.

+VGO.DVCKS, Edessa, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  11. ominus1

...so that's what that is on the obverse behind his head on me coin...kool!m:)

+VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  12. ominus1

..ahaha...i think he might've been talking bout the utter 1 ><(or do you get those at BK too??:p)

Ryro likes this.
  13. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Philip V Ar stater 197-179 BC Obv Head right diademed Rv. Club within oak wreath HGC 1059 8.37 grms 22 mm philipV-3.JPG

+VGO.DVCKS, kazuma78, Edessa and 9 others like this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have a Perseus around here somewhere ...

I didn't get it because of the Macedonian shield, though. I bought it because it's got a cool harpa on the reverse:

[​IMG]
    Perseus, 179-168 BC
    Greek AE 14.8 mm; 2.77 g
    Macedonia
    Obv: Macedonian shield; wheel-ornament in center.
    Rev: ΒΑ-ΠΕ above and below harpa, star below.
    Refs: Sear Greek 6809; Historia Numorum, p. 235; SNG Cop 1281; Lindgren II (Europe) 1339; Gaebler 12.5.36.

+VGO.DVCKS, Edessa, Bing and 3 others like this.
  15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins @Ryro and thanks for the interesting thread.

Ryro likes this.
  16. RS Buffington

RS Buffington New Member

This thread just caused me to join... As I’m looking for Macedonians in my disorganized hoard of coins, my wife is starting to give me those looks that indicate I should be heading for my cave with this venture.

+VGO.DVCKS, Ryro and Roman Collector like this.
  17. Ryro

Welcome to the wonderful world of ancients!!!
    tenor-2.gif

Show some pics so we can help!
    I'm pretty good with Macedonian coins and we have some guys who have forgotten more about ancients then we'll ever know, that may very well chime in!
    20190628_185337_FBE96F3C-2808-4530-BBFA-F68DC8DFA1A6-985-00000125FE2BDE01.png

18. RS Buffington

RS Buffington New Member

You would know that the first Macedonian coin I’d find in my case would be a barbarous counterfeit. Max dia 26mm, wt. 16.5gm 9B4C1272-DBFB-4FF0-B537-FB8F6D9FA8ED.jpeg

Johndakerftw, Edessa, Bing and 2 others like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I knew nothing of this period before I bought this coin from @AncientJoe. @kazuma78 owns it now. It was one of my favorites during its tenure in my Eclectic Box collection.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted