Storing Silver Bullion Bars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mjk1971, Jan 13, 2007.

1. mjk1971

mjk1971 New Member

Hello!

I am looking for an Airtite or Airtite like product that would fit 5 and 10 ounce Johnson Matthey Silver Bars, as the Airtite bar holders fit one ounce bars.

Does anyone have any thoughts/leads on where I could get such products?

Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

As far as I know, they don't make them that big...

I've got one or two really nice ones that I wouldn't mind putting them in just to keep'em shiney and not get scratched up...
    However, I've been told that typically, people that store large amound of Bullion Bars store them for the Bullion value, not the Numismatic value and they aren't that worried about it...

Also, you can clean a 10 oz bullion bar without anyone crying that you just ruined it or whatever that you get when you mention cleaning coins...

4. mjk1971

mjk1971 New Member

Thanks!

I think I might do the vacuum sealer thing if I can't find Airtite like products.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

mjk:
    I have never seen any holders for the large bars, or any bars for that matter, although they may exist.
    However, I disagree, let the bars stay as they are and don't clean them.
    Given the choice between two, one original and one cleaned, I'd take the original one everytime.

6. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

You also have to ask yourself?

What is the plan for these 10 oz'ers? is it an investment? Are you going to sell them when the price of silver hits several dollars above what you paid for them?

Or are just going to hang onto them for your own collecters value???

If they are just an investment and your selling them when the spot jumps enough, I would not spend the money on something to put them in or worry about it...

The bullion guys will not give you any more for a shiney 10 oz'er than a tarneshed one or one with "Beautiful tonning"...

I guess if its just personal preference, you gotta do what you gotta do.. :)

I seriously keep mine in a large gun vault that also hold most of my coins, my rifles, Pistols some ammo and a few other valuables....

We hid it and bolted it and built it into the walls so it could not be seen unless you knew where it was and it would take a week or so to get out and I have no idea how one would get it up the steps... Even with 6 guys...

My problem now is, my safe/vault is getting full and I want a second one.... Buying it is not the big problem thats the little one... The Big one is, how the heck do I get it down in the basement, thats where I want this one as we have no place to put it upstairs... The one i want is like 1600+ lbs...

Draft saved Draft deleted