Storing Our Bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by hyperinflation, May 23, 2011.

1. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member

Sorry If this has been posted before but I think it will be good for the newbies and for a good discussion. How do you guys store your bullion? What kind of holders are best for 1 oz rounds 2x2 holders or air tights? Do you use a safe, safety deposit box, bury it under ground, etc

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I keep my ASE in Air-tites inside a safe with silica gel inside of it. I always play it safe with my coins

4. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member

Sillca gel is good for the atmosphere right? Where can I get some, that's the packet that comes with new shoes right?? Lol

5. DMiller

DMiller Junior Member

http://www.jpscorner.com/Silica_Gel_Desiccant.htm

Shipping costs more than the silica itself, assuming you don't get one of the fancy rechargeable container deals, so I generally wait to oder from JP until I have a lot of stuff I need. His shipping speed and service have always been top-notch though.

6. dan8802

dan8802 New Member

My ASEs, Maples, and Phils are in their mint tubes. Any extra oddball 1 ounce coins are in airtites. My junk silver is stored in those square rolls, along with my junk morgans.

Not sure if its the best option, but every thing is in a Safe deposit box (not "Safety", hyperinflation :) ) I have a silica packet in there too.

7. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

Two words FALSE WALL

8. cvicisso

cvicisso New Member

I store everything in Lighthouse Quadrum 2x2 plastic holders. The 90% silver is in square tubes.

9. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

Everything is either in a tube, hard case, soft plastic flip case, or sealed in original plastic. Anything not airtight (and some of the airtight stuff, mostly 1 oz rounds that would slide around) are kept in plastic ziplock bags in a fireproof (up to 1 hour) safe with a large silica bead bag inside. I do like toning, but not as much as a good luster. Side note, bars are way easier to stack than rounds!

10. cannonfodder

cannonfodder New Member

A much cheaper route is just go to the craft section in your Walmart and grab a 5 pound canister of silica gel. It's used for drying flowers, that's why it is in the crafts section. If for whatever reason your Walmart dowsn't carry it, just go to a craft store like Michael's. For my safe I just put some in some plastic trays I have, and if you want to throw some in a smaller space, or in something like an ammo can, just make your own silica packs with an empty tea bag which can be bought cheap, too. No sense paying high prices for silica plus shipping when you can roll your own. I bought one of the 5 pound canisters about 8 years ago and still have at least 2/3 of it left. No need to worry about drying the silica out in the oven when you buy it so cheap and can just replace it if it gets saturated with moisture.

11. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/silica-gel-unit-450-grams.html

One of these which has enough silica to dry out 33 cu. ft., can keep a small space dry for a long time. Has an indicator on the bottom of the box to let you now how saturated the silica is getting. The bag just sits on the indicator. The circles will turn from blue to pink as it gets saturated. Once a year, take the bag out, cook in the oven for 3 hrs at 245 degrees. Let cool. Replace. Every once in a while, you can replace with a new one just to start over fresh.
    This may seem over-sized for some applications but small packets can become saturated and useless in a month or two. Then what's the point?

12. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

Ditto, just need another safe...

I also have a few "special" coins in a safe INSIDE my safe.

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I've saving all my copper bullion in the penny boxes provided by the bank and I have them stacked two high under the bed. As far as silver I have a small safe and I keep most of what I have in 2x2's and airtites.

14. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Check out my reply to the similar thread. http://www.cointalk.com/t177865/ # 6

It basically explains how to keep your coins air dry and safe from oxidation (toning).

But I do like the posts about the large quantity of silica that's available at various craft stores. My main point in preserving these coins/bullion is to put them in a vacuum re-suckable bag (Reynolds) that you can reopen, add coins, remove coins and also replace the silica pack, and resuck closed.

I own a 2006 W Indian/Buffalo 1 oz. .9999 gold Proof $50 coin, that I really loved the way it looked. It may very well be my most beautiful, favorite coin. But, as I've mentioned before, MY PURE GOLD developed a red spot on the obverse. I never took it out of the OGP and now there it is with a spot. I think this support Doug's point about every coin, even gold, will tone.

My point is, that you can do the best you can in preserving the various coins you possess, but nature will intervene and do what it wants when you don't expect it.

Good luck in you're attemps and, please, let me know if you have a better process for preserving your coins as you bought them.

No storage is perfect. But if you hermetically seal a coin to where you can never break it out again then you should sell it to someone who can appreciate it and, even actually look at it.

Thanks,

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

¿Que dice?

edit: Never mind. I get it......:)

16. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Hi Everyone!! I'm resurrecting this thread to ask a follow up question. I'm starting to collect 1 oz non USA gold coins. I will be using air-tite capsules and have plenty of silica gel desiccant. My question is in regards to the storage methods for all the different size coins.

For the silver bullion I collect the coins range in the 38-40mm range so I can use a common method of storage; air-tites and a coin "box" with round openings for the coin capsules.

However with gold it seems the range is a little bigger. I've seen anywhere from 30mm up to 37mm. So are most people just grouping the coins from the same country together? So all the gold maple leafs together for example? Or are you mixing the coins?

If mixing what do you store them in. Since I just have a couple I'm looking to find a way to store them so they don't move around much and potentially get damaged. I'm thinking since I'm using air-tites that I would just store them in the air-tite tubes. But just worried there may not be capsules or tubes that fit every different size.

Granted it will be a while before I'll have more than a handful of gold coins but figured I would ask now so that I could be well prepared.

Thanks!!

17. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

You folks are all spot on. Tubes, air tights, a proper safe, silica gel are pretty much mandatory, particularly for large amounts. And there is something to be said about having safe deposit boxes for some particular coins and bullion.

However, 'small' amounts can be pretty easy. For example, you could take a 50 or 100 oz silver ingot, paint it black and use it as a doorstop or perhaps a bookend. Geez, you can stash a tube of AGEs in a box of oatmeal.

Lot's of places to hide stuff.

peace,

rono

18. stoster38

stoster38 Member

19. Govt Mule

Govt Mule New Member

As an alternative to silica gel, diatomaceous earth, (DE) is an excellent desiccant. Food grade DE is non toxic and is useful for other purposes. You can place a small amount in a scrap of cloth from an old t-shirt, tie the corners and it will do the job.

I also like to keep bullion within access. Don't want to count on the bank's safety deposit box. Break it up into 3-4 "stashes" in case a culprit locates 1 stash, you don't lose your entire collection.

20. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Question on the air-tite tubes http://www.jpscorner.com/cap-tubes.html. If it's one size fits all, for the "H" series capsules, does that mean if you have different diameter H capsules that you would want to put the largest diameter in first and then smaller ones on top? Would the capsules move around or does the tube somehow prevent that. Anyone use these with different sizes? Or do you just get 1 tube for each H size capsule?

21. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Sorry to repeat but at least from what I've been reading online there is only one size for tube for some of the capsule series. So any "H" series capsule would fit in the "H" tube. Am I understanding that correctly? If that's the case, and you are using these tubes, do you have a different tube for each "H" diameter you are storing? So all the 40mm are in one tube, all the 38mm in another, etc?

Draft saved Draft deleted