Sterling Silver Jewelry from Mexico?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, May 14, 2021.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Years ago many people who visited Mexico bought Sterling Silver jewelry as it was very well made and was quite beautiful at the time, like the 1970's. Now on ebay, you see tons of the stuff but we all know Sterling Silver is not for stacking at all. :D I bought a tribal mask pendant years ago which I still wear on my hat, shown in the pic below. The Aztec calendar below is really cool as well but way too big to wear, so here's the question. What do collectors of such Sterling Silver pieces do with them, does anyone know?

tribalmask.jpg 925a.jpg 925b.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I went to Mexico with my parents back in 1990 and there was a guy selling jewelry on the street. There was a sterling silver chain that 6 year old me really wanted. He offered it for $10 USD and I told him "No way José!" My parents were mortified but he thought it was hilarious. Who knows, maybe his name was José...
    Either way, he sold the chain to me for $5 USD. I still have it somewhere.

It is nowhere near as cool as your piece though!

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Buying silver from street vendors in Mexico has always been an "iffy" proposition. I remember my Dad's "gold" ring turning his finger green.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

tribalmask.jpg

This looks so cool. Display it with your Mexican coins. That mask might be worth way more down the road. Wait for more opinions.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I saw some on Ebay just now that bring good money....

mex3.jpg
    mex4.jpg

mex5.jpg
    mex6.jpg

Mex1.jpg
    mex2.jpg

Envy is the word.

7. Antonius Britannia

Antonius Britannia Well-Known Member

There are a lot more people collecting Mexican coins and silver jewelry now.

fretboard and Copper lover like this.
  8. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

That's hilarious. :hilarious: When I go to a coin shop, I check the melt bins for a silver chain. No luck yet but I think its a reasonable goal... :)

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. fretboard

Yeah, I bought mine around 7 years ago. The one on my hat is around the same size as a quarter, I have a smaller one as well. All together, I think I have four and I was pretty amazed when the prices of these started going upward. I think I paid around $15-$20 for the one on my hat and I added the chain from something else to make it a littler snazzier. :D

spirityoda and Copper lover like this.
  10. fretboard

If you check your LCS and antique shops in your area you may be able to find one! On ebay, the 20" Sterling Silver heavy chains can be a bit pricey, depending on looks and style! Good luck! ;)

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Those are great pieces :)

Draft saved Draft deleted