Stacking in Canadian 80%

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Hi, All

What are the community's thoughts on stacking in Canadian 80% coins? I like the silver dollars and halves (.6 and .3 asw each). Numismatically, there are some rarer dates, of course. What about the more common dates?

Does anyone on the board "stack" these?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have a type set of Canadian dollars and a set of dimes.
    Other than that I don't hoard the 80% because I think it may be harder to sell.

4. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have a type set of Canadian dollars and a set of dimes.
    Other than that I don't hoard the 80% because I think it may be harder to sell.

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I have a complete set of Canadian silver dollars (plus a few duplicates) which I paid close to spot for. Many are proofs in the original presentation cases. I think these may be salable in the future and a nice profit if silver goes up. But I have never considered any of the lesser denominations,.

Jason.A likes this.
  6. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I used to stack the Canada silver dollars back when silver was high. It was more easier on the pocket than Morgans and Peace dollars if you still wanted the heft of the tangible material. I used to stack rolls of the 1958 totem dollars, they are really cool.

Jason.A likes this.
  7. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Silver Canadian coins are detested by most my lcs's around where I live. They wont even take them. Doesn't matter what denomination.

mikenoodle likes this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

If I lived in Canada I would stack 80% Canadian Silver. I don't though. If there are U.S. Dealers that have great buy back prices on Canadian 80% let me know!

9. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

You know, there is ebay where you can easily resell them at a premium if you need cash. So, the policies of your local coin shop aren't that important.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would argue that they are. The fees and shipping make eBay a bad place to sell your bullion if you are basically selling them at or near melt value.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  11. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Check out the sold listings for Canadian halves and dollars. Most ask for separate money for shipping and all sold for above spot at the time of the listing.

That makes me confident that I could resell for at least spot even including ebay fees and my buyer pays shipping.

I understand your general point, but I am not talking about reselling for an above melt profit. I am showing that ebay allows for at least at spot resale of 80% Canadian silver. That reassures me if spot rises enough in for me to unload in 20 years, eBay is the place to go, not my lcs.

12. Silverhouse

Doesn't matter, reselling Canadian silver, except for the maple leafs is futile in my area, even then the maples tend to milk spot horribly.

13. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Did you miss the "ebay" part of my post? The policies of your local shops are irrelevant.

14. Silverhouse

eBay has some great Canadian coins, but I normally don't sell on eBay. Either way I stand by what I said. In my area Canadian silver is detested and most shops won't even take them.

15. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Ebay is not for everyone.

Bman33 likes this.
  16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

But why would I forego the additional profit by selling at (or near) spot minus fees? Doesn't it make more sense if all things are equal to buy silver that I can sell in more places at a higher percentage of melt and profit? Unless by buying Canadian 80% you are purchasing it at a price less than spot, but I didn't read that to be the case from your post.

17. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

All valid points. You can make more money later
    That's a fair point. However, my general strategy of silver investing is as follows:

When the price seems particularly low, I buy government issued bullion (such as Maples, ASE, Brittanias, etc.).

When the price is higher, I buy no premium or under spot Canadian 80% silver currency.

When the time to sell comes (presumably when the price of silver has gone up significantly over the years), I will sell the government bullion for a very nice profit and a premium, and I will sell 80% Canadian currency at the much higher spot price of the day.

Now, of course silver could tank. However, if that's the case, then I only paid higher premiums when the price was lower than average, and I paid spot when melt was higher. So, it's a bit of a hedge to buy both.

The problem I see in 90% American currency is it's harder for the ordinary person who is not a dealer to resell and recoup any of its premium. That's why I buy more Canadian and less American.

Draft saved Draft deleted