Sold of My Entire Bullion Collection In Order To Purchase BitCoins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tyler, Apr 1, 2013.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If he told ya he'd have to kill ya.......:)

definer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't fool with raw bitcoins anymore. I bought what I thought was a real nice one once and tried to get it certified and it came back a no grade for questionable toning. No more getting burned by the bitcoin doctors for me, that's enough. From now on I don't even want to look at a bitcoin unless it's PCGS certified and with a CAC sticker on it.

4. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

This is the best one so far:
    http://freebitco.in/?op=home

Here are a couple of others that pay out "little bits" (pun intended):rolleyes::
    http://www.getbitcoinsquick.com/index.php#freebtc
    http://faucetbtc.com/index.php

You'll need some kind of wallet software. I use Bitcoin that you can download from here:
    https://bitcoin.org/en/download

The program will take just a little effort but a lot of time to set up since it has to download quite a bit of data when first executed.

I'd suggest doing a bit of reading (wikipedia is a good place to start) beforehand (or while the software is setting up) so you can see how it works. I don't think I'll be in the mode of buying coins near term because there are still a number of legalities to be determined, but if I can get them for free, why not?

5. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

no no, i am with you on that. i actually still have 5 that i committed to holding until the last one is released. i wouldnt mind having a few tiddlybits change though. i appreciate the links.

6. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It was interesting to read, especially the comments made :)

If the value increases of a bitcoin, so will the capital gains tax when sold, which will have to be declared just as increase in stocks occurred and were sold. Operations using bitcoins in US could be prosecuted with income tax evasion if not declared by filers. Also even though capital gain losses can be deducted, there is a limit of 3000 per year from normal income, with excess carried over. That will be the main problem facing users of bitcoins.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree it makes it tricky. I sure hope those retailers jumping on the bitcoin bandwagon have good accounting systems. Such gains could even trigger more frequent filing as well.

9. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

The new regulations about taxing bitcoins like investments makes it less attractive to own them. Since it's not a currency it is taxed when it goes up in value.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am sure some conspiracy buffs are screaming its conspiracy against bitcoins, but in my view its the correct call. Bitcoins have more in common with gold fro World of Warcraft than it does with Euros, Pounds, or Yen.

11. firefli

firefli New Member

wow!! My very first thought was something real bad just happened in the world that collapsed the dollar. Thank god for April jokes.

12. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Tyler should have been serious. A BTC was $116 on April1 2013 now $1120. Im seriously thinking about jumping in.

13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Sure, look at silver in the period 1977-1983. Anything can happen over the short term. I think I'll stick with real money until bitcoin has proven itself over 5000 years. I am looking for a 20-30 window for my where I put my money..

Two Dogs likes this.
  14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

How Ironic. An April Fools day prophecy that became true. I do know there is risk in it just like PM's and that it can fall in price, maybe much more drastically than gold an silver.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's gone up! Quick, buy it!

To be fair, silver was $28/oz on April 1 2013; two weeks later, it had dropped to $23. And we all know where it is now.

16. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Which is exactly why I prefer silver. It has moved only slowly over the last 50 years, except for too very short lived aberrations. But it has moved and that is what I want. I am not into get rich quick schemes. I want something which I know will still be there when I need it.

17. meteor

meteor New Member

Would have been smart if you did. July 2017: $2700/BTC

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes a fictional currency that can be swallowed up in the internet abyss at any time for no reason, that's where you want to put your money.

Ancientnoob and imrich like this.
  19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You mean like FIAT HELICOPTER GREENBACKS? ;)

(Disclaimer: I hold a fairly large position in FIAT HELICOPTER GREENBACKS, and exactly 0 BTC. Yes, I know I'm likely missing a golden opportunity to profit at the expense of greater fools.)

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The bit coin could just be another tulip bulb hysteria.

21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

This thread is a rather tired April Fool's joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted