Slabbing, Bullion Only Coins, Right or Wrong ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Jun 11, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It looking around the web looking for my next purchase, i see allot of Slabbed Bullion
    Coins selling for huge premiums !! though i am a TPG guy myself and believe in that
    Process, the grading of bullion coins doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me, who really
    Cares what the grade is, its bullion plain and simple and one of my favorite phrases

FIRST DAY OF ISSUE

OR

FIRST STRIKE

all gimmicks to make you pay more :(

Johndoe2000$ and brandon spiegel like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I'm not opposed to slabbing gold. Silver not so much.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Collectors of them care. Once graded they are no longer just bullion. People don't have to participate in that segment of the market if they don't want to but it has existed for years and we are long past the point where once graded it should be called just bullion.

imrich likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I can't see why uncirculated silver get slabbed unless it's a proof coin silver or gold. otherwise a huge waste of money in my opinion.

6. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Tell that to a MS69 ASE. They are graded but have no real premium.

slackaction1 likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That has nothing to do with ASEs from the US Mint. That is true of almost all products not intended for circulation from the US Mint

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Only benefit I would see would be slabbed gold coins for verification.

ilLOminatus likes this.
  9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Slabbing bullion isn't for me. However, there is clearly a market for all the "gimmicky" stuff. Is any of it worth it? Short answer is: yes, but not for me.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It all depends if you think gold is only for investment.
    Then anything above spot is too high.

Do you consider price differences between a Proof and a Uncirculated?
    Or between a PF70 and PF69?
    Where do you draw the line? and where do *other people* draw the line.

It all varies. If someone collects various gold pieces based on their *numismatic* value, then there are going to have different opinions based on someone collecting based on the Bullion value.

I have various collections based on bullion, numismatic and a combination of both.
    So it depends what *you* are collecting it for and if it's worth slabbing or not.

11. mpcusa

For a bullion only coin, sure you can say verification however most are easily checked out, if you have a local expert that you trust or buy from like APMEX
    Or another well respected Bullion dealer you would generally have no issues

And do i really care if i have a PR70 or PR69, i would say not !!

12. Clawcoins

But some people do. So your definition is related to what you are comfortable for.

Other people's discussions/arguments don't matter to you. But they all have their own reasons.

I don't like slabbed gold either. And I get my gold from Provident/Apmex in at least AU even for their choice selections.

slackaction1 likes this.
  13. mpcusa

Not to put anybody down for what they collect, but the added value by getting something graded just for the purpose of a number in a coin thats sole purpose
    Is the bullion content doesnt make much sense, i would never do it however we
    all float are boats differently :)

14. Clawcoins

Yes, but it all comes down to opinions.

To me, rounds and bars are solely for bullion content.
    Coins are for bullion content *and* numismatic collectibility. And one may define a ASE/AGE as a coin or as strictly bullion .. it's what ever floats that persons boat.

15. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Personally, I don't see the point. Unless you have something special, like a 08/07 uncirculated silver eagle error, or a 1995 W-Proof silver eagle, I wouldn't bother. And even then, they would need to grade high for it to matter.

If all you want is a collection of [insert bullion coin] where you have a given grade for each year, go for it. Beyond that, the plastic doesn't really add anything to a strictly bullion coin other than empty volume that takes up too much space.

mpcusa likes this.
  16. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

While I realize that slabbed bullion may not be the 'cat's meow' for everyone, it is for some.
    And here's why. I'll just pick a random ATB 5oz coin.
    2015 North Carolina Blue Ridge Parkway Mintages - Bullion 45,000 Collector 17,461
    For the collector SP coins most will grade out at 70 or 69. The means you have a population of around 17,000 that would/could slab at or near the higest grade possible.
    On the other hand, the bullion coin, while having a much higher mintage, few will grade at a 69 and virtually none at 70. Just look at the PCGS population report and see how many of the bullion coins there are that graded at 70. Now compare that with the population of the SP coins that graded at 70. In my book that makes a high grade bullion much rarer that a high grade SP coin.
    However, I'll say that a lot of dealers don't like them for one reason - size. They take up a lot of room. When I go to sell a high value slabbed ATB 5oz coin I have a hard time finding the right dealer to give me more than melt. But when I do find the right dealer, then I can get a really good deal.
    For those of you who may not see the value of a coin encased in plastic, I'll just say on thing, "GSA." Look at the values of some of the GSA hoard silver dollars compared to a simular silver dollars - same date, mint and grade. People seem to be willing to pay an very high premium for plastic.

slackaction1 likes this.
  17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You could leave the ASE out of the slab, save $30 and create a pure play on the labels...

mpcusa likes this.
  18. mpcusa

As always buy the coin not the holder !

19. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Lipstick on a pig.

20. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

This thread didn’t age well.

GoOoldmember and AdamL like this.
  21. slackaction1