"Slabbed" Bullion ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jfscmedic, Nov 8, 2016.

1. jfscmedic

jfscmedic Well-Known Member

It's like Engelhard Silver bars. Recognized by almost everyone.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

This. The slabbed market is generally for people collecting a set. Stackers are just buying rolls or monster boxes or whatever and putting it into their pile

4. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I buy proofs, burnished and 1 bullion slabbed each year. I also have a Dansco with bullion ASE's. I also subscribe to the mint for the proof and burnished.

I do it for my own reasons. I am not doing it because I think I'm going to make money.

6. ilLOminatus

ilLOminatus Member

There are two ways of looking at this from my perspective:

1. Bullion is just bullion, in this case any kind of bullion as long as it is a full troy ounce or a multiplier of a troy ounce or a clear fraction thereof, is "just bullion". Some people collect this because it is bullion and thus puts no premium on the actual condition of the bullions, be it government issued coins or private issued medals. They can be dinged, scratched, bent, oxidized, etc as long as they weight 1 troy ounce (or multiplier or a clear fraction thereof), they will be fine as "bullion". A 1996 ASE has no premium over a 2016 ASE because both are just 1 troy ounce of silver

2. This is my perspective, where I collect bullions that are coins. For me there is value in keeping the best specimen available and thus where the slabs come in. These bullions are not merely 'just bullion' for me, but also as collectibe. They come in proof, gilded, colored, burnished, etc, each type is unique because they are collectibles. They also come in all sorts of packaging, with wildly different designs that make it a hassle for me to keep and store them, which is also where the slabs come in. This is why the coin supply companies come up with coin trays, dansco albums, etc so you can display your collection in a neat and orderly fashion. I keep my coins that are bullion in slabs because the slabs let me store and keep them in a neat and orderly fashion

what do you think?

7. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Forgive me, it's early...not enough coffee yet I guess...but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying other than you slab your bullion. If that is your bottom line, a beautiful coin is a beautiful coin and to slab any coin is in my opinion a wise move. Is that primarily what you're saying? :confused:

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I thought about this approach too. I would pay the extra premium to have a third party verification that yes this is 1 oz of gold. On silver, I wouldn't slab but I do take the finest care of my bullion both coins, rounds, and bars. I do this so I can sell it back with not problems or discounted items. I called a major online dealer and they have great buy back pricing. They said they want them in uncirculated condition to get best price though.

9. Defenderone

Defenderone Active Member

In my opinion, a bullion is more of an "investment" (buying and selling at the right time) than a "collection" item or object and investments has its ups and downs which one does not control. The true value is in the metals and not the coin itself.

Santinidollar likes this.
  10. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I'm 1985 Ronald Regan signed the bill creating American Silver Eagles and American Gold Eagles so Americans could own gold and silver and the government could reduce it strategic gold and silver supply. They started striking them in 1986.

In 1986 PCGS made it's debut and one year later NGC. For several years ASEs & AGEs were not graded, then the TV shows and marketeers got the idea that if they graded coins, they would consistently grade a 69 or 70, they could charge more for them and create a demand for them slabbed. Over the years they've added things like First Strike, Early Releases, and now First Day of Issue (I still don't know how they pulled that one off). They're even offering the same coin in red, white and blue holders for a crazy price.

What they've done is create an artificial demand for MS and PR 70 coins and it seems to be working. Look at some of the Sales (not asking price) for MS and PR70 early American Silver Eagles, they are selling for 5 figures on eBay. Three things make a coin valuable: rarity, eye appeal, and demand, the sellers have created a demand for certified bullion coins, there are thousands of people out there who add to their certified sets of ASEs each year.

My opinion? Whatever what makes a person happy. There are companies out there that sell certified ASEs for basically bullion prices plus a few dollars, so the question of what happens if the price of silver drops (it has since Trump's win) is you will get less for the silver you bought when silver was higher, whether it's in a slab or raw. I have a set of PR69 ASEs in NGC black core holders (except for that pesky 2009). Why, because I want to and it makes me happy to have them that way. Will I make more money having them certified and graded rather than raw? Only time will tell, but in the meantime I enjoy them. Would I recommend that everyone have a set also? No, do what makes you happy, the few extra dollars I paid for the certified version is worth it to me.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  11. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Authentication is a big deal for gold. Buying and re-sale.

12. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I know it's important on both ends. I sent my Pre-33 Gold to ANACS just for authentication in case I want to sell it one day. Non of the coins were of any rarity, but at least there is confidence from the buyer they are real.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nixon took us off the gold standard in 1971. And then Ford signed proclamation Pub.L. 93-373, which legalized gold ownership.
    "August 14, 1974. Congress authorized and President Ford signed into law the restoration of the right of American citizens to own gold. The bad news was that Americans had to wait another 4-1/2 months for the law authorizing private gold ownership to go into effect as of December 31, 1974."

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Check you're history book. Roosevelt took us off the gold standard in 1933.......

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Ken is correct. Private ownership was re-legalized during the Nixon administration.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

17. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

He may be referring to Nixon and the GSA Hoard. He has that little message on the lid of the black box the government slabbed Morgan Dollars came in.

18. Deadline

Deadline Active Member

Does anybody know if the online or any bullion sellers buy monster boxes of ASE's and have an employee go through it just to see if there are any 69 or 70's in the lot? I suppose if they are going to sell individual coins from the mint sealed boxes it would be wise to go through them.

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I was replying to the poster who said Reagan made it legal to own gold.
    FDR made it illegal to own gold, but our treasury money still required our dollars be backed by 40% worth of gold.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They don't presort them, they just submit the entire monster box for bulk grading and have anything below a 69 returned unslabbed

21. Deadline

Deadline Active Member

Thank you! Do they do the same with their unslabbed proof coins as well?

Draft saved Draft deleted