"Slabbed" Bullion ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jfscmedic, Nov 8, 2016.

1. jfscmedic

jfscmedic Well-Known Member

How many people buy Slabbed Bullion VS Raw. I rarely buy it slabbed unless it's a good deal. This weekend I bought two 1997 Silver Eagles MS-69 NGC for $30 each and a 1997 $5 Gold Eagle for $145. Also a raw 5 ounce silver bar for $95

20161108_115843.jpg 20161108_115956.jpg

green18 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is just my opinion, but "bullion is bullion" regardless of the packaging. I have to ask @jfscmedic if silver were to drop to $10/ounce, how easy do you think it would be for you to sell that MS69 SAE for $30?

Chris

midas1 and tommyc03 like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Graded bullion coins: no, no and no.

tommyc03 and spirityoda like this.
  5. cpm9ball

Major varieties and errors would be the exception.

Chris

6. jfscmedic

Like I said 99% of my Bullion is Raw. My question I guess is do some "Bullion" pieces carry a premium slabbed. I know MS-69 1997 Eagles are SELLING anywhere from $40 to $78 online. One guy told me that one date in the Silver Eagle series Graded MS-70 by PCGS or NGC brings over $1,000 :jawdrop:

7. jfscmedic

Here is a 1997 MS-69 NGC Eagle sold for $78 with 11 Bids. And a 1995 PCGS MS-70 Silver eagle that SOLD for $6,000 !! Of course my opinion of someone who would pay $6,000 for a Slabbed Silver Eagle is they have more Money then they do sense LOL

1997.jpg 1995.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Like this one ( stiff collar strike ) .
    34f.jpg 13r.jpg 4571-horz.jpg 4574-vert.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

You still haven't answered my question.

If silver dropped to $10/ounce, how easy would it be for you to sell your MS69 SAE at $30?

The point is that bullion follows the rise and fall of the price of silver more than a collectible coin would.

Chris

Eaglefawn likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

11. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I don't understand slabbing bullion. Almost all of my bullion is raw, however, I did buy one slabbed silver oz coin. It was the Austria 2001 10 Kreuzer Franz Joseph I commemorative silver round. I'm not sure why someone would slab such a thing, but I was happy to get a high grade example without paying a premium for the slab. I left it in the slab because why not?

Clawcoins likes this.
  12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

13. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I would usually agree with that, but some of the bigger coin shows, have the grading companies there and run great specials .

I could get this graded for 10 bucks and it's a great conversion piece too ..

jfscmedic and tommyc03 like this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I'm curious how slabbed billion has done in a down market above bullion.

For instance in 2010 even though good was marching up was the value of a slabbed bullion more then the variance before or after a large market shock when people weren't buying much of anything.

I wasn't tracking bullion or slabbed during that time frame.

15. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I would probably buy slabbed Gold just for the authentication, but not ASE's.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bman33 and Danjohnson like this.
  16. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

I've purchased a few slabbed gold 1oz's. Been offered raw or slabbed for the same cost at times so seemed like a no brainer.

Only thing I don't like about it is storage. Hate keeping my raw coins separate from the slabbed. Feels weird, unnatural and sloppy. (lol), life is weird and clearly I've been immensely blessed to be bit*hing about this!

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Some do yes, well really all the 70s do but the most modern ones are very small premiums as people have come to expect them to be of that quality. The 1980 and 1990s MS 70 ASEs some have very substantial premiums and a few dates even 69s have premiums worth noting. It's mostly the grade that causes the premium though there does seem to be a small one for it being slabbed over melt value in many cases even if its just a few dollars

18. jfscmedic

To be honest I can't really answer your question. I don't know. Like I said I normally don't buy slabbed bullion either...market changes effect raw bullion too. Silver Eagles carry a premium over spot. A 1997 Silver Eagle Bids $27 RAW on the greysheet. If the spot price of silver dropped $10 Ounce even raw bullion would be hard to sell at what you paid for it.

19. Clawcoins

# 1 Bullion is tied to SPOT price.
    If you have a question of current valuation, then refer to # 1

Numismatic valuation is dependent upon demand which would be it's own market valuation separate from the spot price.

Eaglefawn and Danjohnson like this.
  20. jfscmedic

I guess it all boils down to the fact that Eagles (Gold or Silver) are US coins. Even though they are most often used for investment in bullion some people collect them as US coins. I'm sure most people who buy slabbed Eagles are not just buying them for the bullion value.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  21. Clawcoins

I pay a premium when I buy eagles over a generic bar.
    But then I'm more assured that the US coin will be recognized and more accepted by someone in the future if/when I get around to selling it.

Draft saved Draft deleted