Sitting Liberty Dollar coin - questions

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by naccoachbob, Jan 23, 2019.

1. naccoachbob

naccoachbob New Member

I have recently returned to coin collecting, and my wife thought she'd surprise me with a new/old one. So she bought an 1864 Sitting Liberty coin from the Far East, and this without my knowing about it. The coin arrived today, so I started to try to figure out how to grade it, when a couple of small details caught my attention. I'm going to post my pictures, but hopefully you can get yours from other sources. I used the Mega Red Book.
    Initially, on the Obverse I find the mouth to be opened wider than a correct coin. On the Reverse, I saw some discrepancies in wing positions, and possibly the beak being more opened than it should be.
    I know that everything gets counterfeited in some countries, and based on about how much she spent, I don't think that all's well with this coin. I didn't grade it very high, but there was enough detail that the Red Book showed well into the triple digits - my eye is very untrained though, and she spent a couple sawbucks at the most.
    I would appreciate any help that folks could give.

1864_Obverse.jpg 1864_Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You had me at "Far East". Fake.

4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

+1

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yup . . . no good.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well, I’ll put it this way. Twenty years ago my wife purchased me an “original” Beatles poster. I had it framed.... But not before I noticed the print was dated 1989. A good twenty years after the Beatles demise. The frame covers that date. And to this day that poster hangs on my Beatles shrine wall..... And as far as my wife knows, it is an original. And I love it for the thought that went into the gift. I am sure you will treasure this coin much the same.

7. naccoachbob

naccoachbob New Member

Thanks Randy. As soon as I heard those words out of her mouth, I reacted as all you folks did. But my reading of Mega Red Book's instructions to determine quality did much to lead me.
    Could others pass along to me what you saw in the coin to "fail" it? I'm gonna need more than "Hey it's the Far East" :)
    The cat's out of the bag as to my suspicion of it, but she was just thinking about me, and that's worth any PR70DCAM valuation to me.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am not of the more educated numismatists here. Others could offer specifics. On your coin Lady Liberty simply jumps right out at me as having an "off" appearance. Almost cartoonish, really. Another giveaway to me is the faux toning. Look near her foot. It almost appears brushed on........ Once you spend time looking at more and more coins, when you see one that is "off" it jumps right out at you.

9. naccoachbob

naccoachbob New Member

Thanks, Randy, much appreciated.
    I had noticed the foot as well, but had no idea why.
    I used to play golf. A LOT OF GOLF! :) And I would buy Titleist golf balls online from an auction place. Whenever I would get a dozen, I'd spend a little while putting my "mark" on each ball. Normally that was just a dot over the "T", or whatever whim I had at the time.
    So with this dozen, I was half way thru with it, and something didn't feel right. Literally "didn't feel right". Whatever paint or covering these guys had given the balls was absolutely wrong. Believe it or not, I emailed Titleist pictures of the balls and the packaging, on a Saturday night. Immediately got a response that they were counterfeit. Took them to the course with me and had a couple of low hdcp players hit them on the range, and putt and chip with them, and they said the ball felt "odd".
    So "feel" whether physical or not I guess does have a part to play in these things.
    I appreciate everyone's help on this.
    One last thought: It is portentous of the how the upcoming day will treat you when you've forgot to put the cup under the Keurig spout.
    Bob

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I stopped at "Far East" too
    Look at the oversized "4" in the date

looks at this oversized 4 in the date (one of many various examples) .. located in the Far East
    upload_2019-1-24_14-18-41.png

Did you ask her how much she paid for it ?
    There's a bunch of other identifiers too. You have to learn to be super critical and very unbiased in identifying fakes, and then you can still be gotten. In this case it is obvious to (1) the location it was bought; (2) numerous identifiers such as the 4, the L in DOL, etc etc

Versus an Original
    upload_2019-1-24_14-20-20.png

FYI .. this happens all the time. So we're very "dry" about it and fortright. Just look at the other fake this after noon the Trade Dollar which fakeness is a bit more clear https://www.cointalk.com/threads/trade-dollar.331564/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  11. naccoachbob

naccoachbob New Member

Wow, they really pop out don't they.
    Thanks much.
    It was maybe 20 or 30 or so. And after hearing that from her, I was rolling my eyes too. I'd hate to bring up the number of times that I've made mistakes in coins and other things.
    It's a good lesson learned.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A shame but a good lesson that wasn't too expensive. Keep for reference to compare.

13. naccoachbob

naccoachbob New Member

Posted in error. Will fix in the morning.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted