SilverTowne Melts Thousands of Gold First Spouse & Commems

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Hobo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I know. They can skip him if he's still alive when it's time for Reagan's coin because Reagan became eligible while the program was still active.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

That was true in 2005, but not now.

Actually she was 94 years, 6 months, 21 days old when she died on July 11, 2007.

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

few hundred here few hundred there (there are those who got around that limit). They may have bought out someones inventory. Personally I'd say it is true.

5. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Jimmy Carter is alive yes, but he was NEVER well......oops, wrong forum, lol

6. cesariojpn

cesariojpn Coin Hoarder

Reported to the Secret Service. :hail:

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

a complete collection can be viewed at the museum created by world reknowned collector spock :D :D

8. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Nope. I also haven't tried to spend a St. Gaudens or Morgan dollar or even a silver Washington quarter lately, but I'm pretty sure they're also legal tender regardless of whether they circulate.

9. wesleyscott

wesleyscott Senior Member

Ummm. Yeah. Those are commemoratives.

10. wesleyscott

Not. Those are coins.

11. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Actually, the 1932 Washington is a commemorative.

12. wesleyscott

I disagree. That is like saying the 1909 Lincoln Cent is a commemorative. And the 1964 Kennedy is a commemorative.

13. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

You're free to disagree all you want. Doesn't change the fact that the 1932 Washington quarter is a commemorative. I'm sure a quick search could provide you with numerous points of proof.

It also doesn't change the fact that all commemoratives are legal tender. Many of the early commemoratives were placed into circulation when they went unsold. Today, the Mint melts them as they have a higher in intrinsic value than face value. They're still legal tender.

14. wesleyscott

I am ahead of you and already researched it, and found nothing to substantiate what you said about the 1932 Washington Quarter. It is a coin at every coin shop and web site that I went to.

15. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

A super quick search returned this from Coin World:

Coin World
    The 1932 Washington quarter dollar was meant to be a circulating commemorative, issued on the 200th anniversary of the birth of the first president of the United States. The coin proved to be popular and became the ongoing series with Washington depicted on the obverse.

16. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

here's some food for thought:

If Hillary Clinton gets elected president, and both she and Bill die before the end of the program, there will be both a dollar AND a gold 1/2 oz coin for each of them. What a cool coincidence. And another angle to collect them from.

18. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

They would both have to die two years before the end of the program. I'm sure they would prefer not to be commemerated given the circumstances.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Some (including the mint) have interpreted the law to mean that the dollar program ends once the NEXT president is inelegible (in which case Reagan will not get his coin unless Carter has died in time to receive HIS coin. According to the Mint the program is currently scheduled to end with Ford, it does not skip over the ineligible presidents. There is a fairly good chance that Reagan and the first Bush will get their coins though. Both Carter and Bush are 81 years old and would be about 87 by the time the eligibility deadline comes up for their coins. I believe only two ex-Presidents have ever made it to 90 years old, so for them to make it to 87 isn't real likely.

The law does forbid depicting living Presidents, but does not say anything about first spouses having to have died. Interestingly Bill Clinton would be the ONLY first spouse who would HAVE to be dead before he could appear on a first spouse coin. (Because he would have to be dead so the program could continue past him to get to a Hillary coin.)

There is no general law that forbids the depiction of a living person on a US coin, commemorative or otherwise. There is such a law dealing with stamps, there is such a law dealing with US currency and goverment securities, but NO such law dealing with coins. (The restriction in the dollar coin law only applies to those coins.

There is nothing in the law that specifies how long the coins may be on sale. If they do not sell out they can legally remain on sale indefinitely.

Roger W Burdette, author of the three Renaissance of American Coinage books has reported that he has found no evidence in the archives that the 1932 quarter was intended to be a commemorative. (On the other hand, in its original proposed version it was supposed to be a commemorative, a commemorative HALF dollar.)

Draft saved Draft deleted