SilverTowne Melts Thousands of Gold First Spouse & Commems

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Hobo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. wesleyscott

wesleyscott Senior Member

No thanks. We are talkiing about gold coins here, versus whatever coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wesleyscott

I don't believe you are correct. According to the legislation to make the coins, they will wait til Bill dies, then make his coin, then continue with the others.

4. wesleyscott

Not as far as the Presidential dollar coins, or the first spouse coins. You have to be dead.

5. alldrr5

alldrr5 Member

Let's be nice & not say "dead"... how about "passed away". Republican or Democrate they served our country to "the best of their ability".

I would/am honored to be able to own any coin honoring a leader of our country....be it gold, silver, or a generic metal such as the new Pres. dollars.

cheers

6. wesleyscott

OK fine. Passed away it is. And yes, I am proud to own the presidential dollars and first spouse coins from any of them that served, whether I liked what they did or not. And no matter what the material the coin was made of. I would consider it patriotic.

7. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

I agree. There isn't a better way to drive demand than to suggest that the coins are destroyed. I'm not buying it.

8. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

Not always ! :eek: The Peace Dollar

Anthony de Francisci's design featured his rendition of Lady Liberty on the obverse. His wife, Teresa, was the model for the sculpture.

9. wesleyscott

Things have changed. That was almost 90 years ago. Read the legislation for the Presidential dollars and/or the first spouse coins.

10. Philly Dog

Sometime you never know. Just look at what you could have gotten a
    1895-P Morgan for back not to long ago. Just saw where one sold for 92,000

This will make you sick

From the 1963 Red Book 1895 P Proof $1,500

From the 1966 Red Book 1895 P Proof $4,500

From the 1968 Red Book 1895 P Proof $4,750

From the 1975 Red Book 1895 P Proof $6,750

From the 1976 Red Book 1895 P Proof $8,000

From the 1980 Red Book 1895 P Proof $17,500

11. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Thomas Kilby and Calvin Coolidge were both alive at the time they were on commemoratives. And technically the woman on the Sacagawea dollar is still alive... not Sacagawea herself of course lol but the woman who modelled for Goodacre is still alive.

12. wesleyscott

We are talking about coins, legal tender, not commemoratives. You cannot be alive to be honored on a coin.

13. Danr

Danr Numismatist

well there does exist the possibility, the numbers back it up.

14. Philly Dog

Last time I checked the Sac Dollar was a legal coin:eek:

15. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

There are apparently a lot of collectors out there with millions of dollars to spend. Every issue of Coin World has advertisements or post-sale notices for coins costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Dropping $20K or so for a beautiful collection of gold coins might not seem out of line to someone in that league.

Just imagine an article in the 2020 issue of Coin World: "The First Spouse coins have an odd history. Initially the subject of frenzied speculation, the first 3 issues of this series set records for the fastest sellouts of any mint product in history. However, as collectors realized that the frenzied buying was mainly speculators looking to "flip" the coins for a quick profit, prices took a nosedive and the coins in the series became white elephants. Simultaneously, the price of gold soared in 2007 and 2008, causing a large number of these coins to be melted for their bullion value. Today, few examples of the early issues exist and complete sets are extremely rare, bringing 6 figure prices at auction."

16. wesleyscott

It is. And is Sacagawea alive?

17. wesleyscott

Sacagawea (1788-1812).

18. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Since when aren't commemoratives legal tender?

19. wesleyscott

Have you tried to spend one lately (a commemorative)?

Plus, yes, you cannot be alive and honored on a coin. When is the last time you saw a coin (or commemorative) put out by the US Mint, in the last, say....50 years, of a person who is still alive?

20. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

You guys bring up interesting points. This is what I found:

"Since the new Presidential dollar coins are intended to circulate, they will bear mintmarks from the Philadelphia and Denver mints. A proof version will be made available to collectors.

Not to be included, unless they are dead at least two years when their turn comes, will be former presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush (Bush 41), Bill Clinton and incumbent President George Bush (Bush 43) and his eventual successors. That means the set will include 120 coins at a minimum.

The first spouse gold program has no such limitation. For example, if the Lyndon B. Johnson were currently in production (he died in 1973), Lady Bird Johnson (still alive having just celebrated her 93rd birthday on Dec. 22) would go on the first spouse coin. So would Nancy Reagan.

There is no legal prohibition against depicting live Presidents, or other living individuals, on American coinage. Calvin Coolidge appeared on the sesquicentennial half dollar of 1926. Eunice Shriver appeared on the 1995 Special Olympics commemorative silver dollar. Some American presidents have also appeared on foreign coinage during their lifetimes. "

So it sounds like a First Spouse coin could have a living First lady on it according to this as long as the President is dead for two years.

21. wesleyscott

Ladybird Johnson passed away months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted