silver????

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by playin4funami, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I think some of those dealers just don't know what they are doing too.
    Look at the above example. Overpriced one day and under melt the next time
    Dont take it personally or get cynical about it...it's just an offer either way...take it or don't.

But your right you have to watch out for yourself and have the knowledge to know what is a fair price and what isn't.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

The way I started out was to just jump in and buy silver. The longer you wait without owning any; the more it may cost in the future.
    When I started a one ounce bar cost $8.00. I sold a few later on at $14 each. Some people don't like the bars but it is a unit of .999 pure silver.
    Englehard and JM are the two best brands.
    I got a few 1 oz. art bars as part of a small estate purchase. Didn't really want them but had to buy the whole shebang. Then I started looking at prices realized on eBay. Those have a small collector base and some rarities sell for $30 to $40 each!
    The silver eagles I started buying at $13 each. Just bought what I could find a few at a time until the price went up to $17. I quit buying at $18 and over. Now I just buy the current year and will get the 2010 ASE when it's available. And I do expect that to be around $20 but I only need one.
    One thing is certain. The price is headed upward eventually over time-..
    Just like the price of everything else in this world.
    So I would suggest just buy some.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami Junior Member

Thank you

THANK YOU all for all the help and advise,it's really a big help to me,I have quite a bit of silver in my coin collections but havn't yet bought any for purely investment purposes,the info and help you have provided will come in real handy and it is much appeciated.

5. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

That dealer must think you are naive.....haggle him down.

6. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

You should never invest yourself 100% so that if a problem surfaces, you'll have to sell your silver. For one thing, as other's have said, you are a long way off from selling. If you sold immediately, you'd take a small lose (the dealer's premium). Also, if the price of silver drops, and you are 100% invested, now you won't be able to buy at a cheaper price.

7. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

Serious
    Very true don't put all your eggs in one basket. :D

not so much :D
    it's why I keep an extra $1.50 in my shoe for when inflation hits it will probably cost me $1.50 to make a phone call at a phone booth :D and that's if we still have those...

8. cphine

cphine Junior Member

SJVM,
    Can't seem to get a PM to send, so I'll just respond here.
    It's taken me a LOT of rolls to get my $100 (actually up to $118.75 now that I look at my spreadsheet...mostly 40%ers though). I got really lucky the first couple weeks I started looking, about three months ago, but since then it's been slim pickings. I know some other folks are making the same rounds I am now because I've bought some of their obvious castoffs and the tellers I've made friends with at one bank mentioned that someone else had started coming in.
    I live in Charlotte, NC and we have a bunch of banks which makes it easier for me than someone in a more rural area. There's more competition though. I've probably been through 10-15k worth at this point, but frankly I stopped keeping track. About 20% of my finds came from one lucky bank visit in the first week I was looking...which only fed the addiction, LOL.
    I've been graced with several proofs and post 2001's as well, so it's great for the collecting and not just the silver.
    How bad have I gotten? I've just gotten back from a cruise and I stopped at a bank next to my hotel in Port Canaveral to ask for their half dollars to look through on my way home. Sad... :)

9. playin4funami

playin4funami Junior Member

speaking of looking through half dollars I bought 120 bucks worth from a bank yesterday,found 1 40% silver coin and the bank asked me NOT to bring the halves back,I did find a bank that had old rolls of nickels from another bank that went out of business and have found some war nickels in them,and the newest coins in the rolls are 1964,but the tellers seem very unfriendly about exchanging change etc.

10. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

I would do the same.

A spreadsheet is a great idea, thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted