Silver Will Never Be Valuable

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Eminem, Nov 6, 2014.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Well dollars vs cents, i will take dollars every time :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It means that silver is widely used. Because it's useful.

Okay, condescensiondispenser, since your wealth and leisure gives you all this time to repudiate things I never actually said, maybe you can go off and actually look at industrial applications of silver vs. gold.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will gaze on the wonder of this sentence one more time:

"Nobody ever goes there any more; it's too crowded."

Kentucky likes this.
  4. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Yes the fact that it is $17 an ounce ( or did it break $18 ) affords it uses that Gold is too cost prohibitive to be useful for.

This "usefulness" argument is brought up all the time by the silver side implying and sometimes straight out saying that silver spot is going to go up soon because it is so useful. The usefulness of silver does not in any way equal increased spot price. It is already factored into the price and in fact the silver price is dependent on continued usage. Usage which could be threatened if silver went to even $25.

The fact that Gold is not used as heavily in industry is in fact a positive for Gold, not silver. Golds price is not dependent on industrial usage or investment demand in the hundreds of millions of ounces per year. Silvers dependence on both of these is just 2 reasons why its appreciation potential is very limited and why the GSR continues to increase.

Almost anything super cheap is "useful". Trash and manure are becoming quite useful in industry because they are so cheap. You could run around saying industry uses more pounds of manure and silver than gold and be correct. But when you keep relying on a meaningless argument like that then its obvious silver doesn't have much of an argument

Copper I see is far far more useful in industry than silver. Hmmmm. I wonder why that is ?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  5. mpcusa

well I think Silver is a very affordable investing option in comparison
    to Gold, Platinum and Palladium, been working on Silver about 2 months
    now have a nice stash, so this week I started on 1/10 once Gold Krugerrand
    and a 1/10 once APE :)

6. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Yes mpcusa it is. My first PM purchase was silver as well. I have no problem with silver its some of these on the silver side who refuse to accept reality. I still have a little bit of 90% and a beautiful 1916 dime.

7. mpcusa

for me, I have been buying 10 OZ Silver bars which is real close to the cost of
    a 1/10 ounce Krugerrand so I just started switching that up as of late

8. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Yeah there are some nice 10 ounce bars. I got one at jmbullions spot price deal with free shipping. Took me a while to break even though. Its just with buying silver you have to really do Your research. There's a lot of misinformation.

9. mpcusa

I tend to go for poured bars, however there are usually heavy premiums on them
    just for the cool look, thinking about getting some bison bars they have a nice
    Natural look :)

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Including words?

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The odd part is with industry, Industry is always looking for a better, or as good but far cheaper components to manufacturing.

For example, with catalysis/electrocatalysis reactions in catalytic converters the auto sector is looking at alternative non-PMs for lowering the costs and improving the product. Just do a quick search on platinum alternatives, such as MIT working with Tungsten. If someone becomes successful at this replacement, then the 70% of platinum/ palladium/ Rhodium usage demand would disappear. And I would think subsequently the bottom would fall out in those PMs price per oz.

The industry in solar cells also apparently has successfully replaced silver with aluminum.

So as one hedges PMs in manufacturing always be aware that manufacturing is always looking for lower cost alternatives, just like any other product.

And we all know that PMs are not worthless. They're worth their weight in that particular PM. Which the argument can be made that they are limited in value and subsequently could be considered worthless as cryptocurrency, by comparison are worth far more than they weigh. :)

But we all like the shiny metals anyways ...
    I wouldn't mind stacking 10 oz silver bars ... or 10 oz gold bars :)

12. mpcusa

By the same token, new uses can be created as well, all PM,S and alike metals
    Have a specific purpose and use, i dont think there will be a radical change, however
    Have you been watching PALLADIUM lately ? its the MANIC DEPRESSIVE of PM,S
    Huge swings but mostly in a positive direction.

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

devil's advocate here...

words aren't useful???

14. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

WOW, 23,000 views and still no answer. For those purchasing fractional gold, and maybe silver, be patient and save up for a full ounce. The premium you pay for fractionals makes recovery of the premium almost impossible unless you are counting on the zombie apocalypse.

goldcollector likes this.
  15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Actually, I think that is absolutely backwards. As long as normal trading it taking place fractional will always have a premium. But if the apocalypse comes then all gold will be equal and the premium will not hold up.

16. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

What makes you even think people would want gold in the apocalypse?

17. mpcusa

There,s nothing wrong with investing in 1/10 once gold, true you will pay a higher
    Premium, however the affordability factor is there and you can buy more individual
    coins versus saving up for 1 OZ coins, i did manage that this time around but its
    not everyday that i have an extra $1,400 laying around but i like the result :)

18. mpcusa

19. mpcusa

20. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Seems backward to me. If this were true then all companies would buy their inventory one item at a time just so they could say they have a lot of it. Saving up to buy 1 ounce rather than buying fractions will always yield a better price unless you are in a hyper-inflation environment. An ounce of gold is an ounce of gold, no matter how it is aggregated. An ounce of gold with a 2% premium is always better than an ounce of gold with a 4% premium. For the long term you maximize profits.

If you collect you buy in fractions because of uniqueness. If you invest you buy in the largest increment you can save for because your cost is lowest.

21. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Where did I say they would? All I said was that all gold will be equal. If they don't want it then it will be all equal at $0. If they do want it then it will be all equal at $X. Point being that smaller sizes will not have a premium.

Draft saved Draft deleted