Silver Will Never Be Valuable

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Eminem, Nov 6, 2014.

1. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

My fuzzy math says that 2 billion oz divided by 8 billion people equals 1/4 oz per person. I suspect the 2 billion is a WAG and should be 2 billion +- 9000%. Unfortunately that is also a WAG.

PS: This thread was revived from the dead.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    goldcollector likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

There are not 40 billion people on Earth and theres ahellofa lot more thAn 2 billion ounces of silver out there. Hell there is almost 1 billion ASES now so to say there is only 2 billion ounces that guy on youtube is just as far off base as all the videos you can still find promising $300 + silver by the end of 2013 then again 2014 then again 2015 then again........

4. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Well I didnt even catch him saying that but his extreme prediction of $5 was a lot closer than the extreme upside predictions I often hear in the $200-$300 range so eminem slim shady is still the winner. I was more referring to him being right about the title of the thread. I seriously doubt anyone thinks it will fall to $5 as anything near $10 would surely illicit enough speculation to keep it from falling much further. In fact thats why I believe the bottom seems to be $13-$14. As it approaches that mark there is a lot of speculation even more than normal. Without speculation silver would surely be around $4-$5 if it had to rely on true demand. But Gold and Silver will always have a speculators premium baked in. Especially silver.

Almost 3 years later Edited : LANGUAGE VIOLATION. Its lower today than when the thread started. And the GSR has increased from 54 to 70. I know this thread wont be popular amongst the silver side but its fair to show new members both sides of the story. A new member will see nothing but silver silver silver to da moon and may fall for it. Its important that a new person be told the whole truth. All the silver ra ra "silver has the most upside potential" crap. Its always been there and its always been wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  5. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

You will be buying for the rest of your life then.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Might be a good thing
    Just think, if you have enough then melt it all down and make a coffin ...

Bman33 likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think there's a good chance that it'll never soar to ten or a hundred times its current actual value -- in other words, reach a point where your silver dime could buy ten or a hundred "gallons of gas" or "loaves of bread". (Unless, of course, it's a numismatic rarity. If your dime happens to be dated 1916-D, it already will.)

But do you really think the dollar's value will stay so steady over the next several decades? Do you honestly believe that you'll be able to get an ounce of silver or ten loaves of bread or ten gallons of gas for $25, thirty years from now? I'm a bit skeptical.

medoraman likes this.
  8. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Reading this thread will only make you dumber or angry. Avoid.

9. -jeffB

"I said, I'M NOT SPEAKING TO YOU!!!"

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

As long as a silver dime buys as much in the future as it did in 1964, or even today, then I am happy. I did not buy silver as a way of getting rich. I bought it as a way to avoid getting poor. There are other, easier, ways to get financially rich if that is really important to you. To me it is not.

Silverino and Garlicus like this.
  11. -jeffB

Sure. But I get the impression that a number of people think something like this (reinforced by dire sidebar ads about Buying Silver Now):

"In 1964, a silver quarter was worth $0.10, and would buy a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas."

"In 2017, a silver quarter is worth $3.00 or so, and will buy a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas."

"In 2060 (or 2040 or 2020), a silver quarter will be worth $90.00, and will buy all the bread in the store!"

Nope. As you say, silver is unlikely to make you rich. To get rich, you need labor, and/or investments that yield returns, and/or discipline, and/or luck.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Perhaps in 2060, a silver quarter will buy one liter of uncontaminated drinking water or 15 minutes of uncontaminated air. Remember the old old Yiddish proverb, "Man plans, God laughs".

Stevearino likes this.
  13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

There may be a time when all the silver in the world will not buy a liter of uncontaminated water. That is why I spent some of my money to buy a distiller instead of more silver.

14. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

How do you know?

15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

the odd part is a silver quarter will yield only twenty-five cents of something.
    One will have to convert that silver quarter (or whatever) to the dominant "cash" at any future time.

If I took a MS66 1926 Standing Liberty Quarter to the bank or grocery store today, they'd give me 25cents for it.

If I took it to someone that dealt in numismatics, then I could convert it to $2,600 USD +/-; then I could go to the store and buy a bunch of food.

16. motrenrut

motrenrut Junior Member

Don't get me wrong; I love silver.

17. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

In 1950 it was high quality ground chuck, today it's mystery meat. Other than that you're spot on!

Stevearino likes this.
  18. SilverDemon

SilverDemon New Member

:DJust another lost soul who's looking for results now and doesn't understand markets or anything else in investing or just collecting because we like to , anything can happen at anytime no one person knows the future and you sir certainly do not and because your not getting the results you want you come here hating on metals here's a hint stay out of metals and maybe collect bottles and leave the collecting and investing in metals to the bigs boys because its out of your league :cigar:

19. toyvillage

toyvillage New Member

Boys, boys... We will not even have "currency" in a hundred years. Or, at least money as we know it. We collect (amass) silver or gold because we like to know what real "money" feels like. Does gold have all of the practical applications that silver? I don't know. Educate me. Face it: In desalinization processes, silver is vital. Clear drinking water may be abundant now, but when Reno is a sea side destination.....
    Back in the old days, there was the notion that one silver dollar could buy a pair of Levi's. That axiom stood for quite a long time.
    Sorry for rambling, but this is my first real post and I enjoy your community and its disparate characters. And like Eminem, I know where Van Dyke and 8 Mile is: I lived there. Granted, it was in 1842...
    I didn't even know this post is from 2014! Don't laugh, you'll be old someday too.

20. 7Jacnum

7Jacnum Member

HOMIE Your so wrong I won't waist my time with an intelligent answer because obviously you know more than everyone, HA HA. Give me a break. I won't respond to this tread any longer. What a waist. HOMIE!

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

In a way a waste, since he hasn't been on the site for almost a year to read and answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted