Silver Will Never Be Valuable

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Eminem, Nov 6, 2014.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"The Old guy"? On a coin collecting forum?

Could you be a bit more... specific?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lucky43113

lucky43113 Active Member

those are just graphs and numbers im talking walk in to the grocery store and look real world numbers

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The Dollar, once considered the most desirable of currencies, is going the way of others before it. At least metals have a globally recognized demand, and corresponding value, which falls in and out of favor with the faltering of each most recently dominant currency.

I'd much sooner place my trust in metals than in a capriciously valued fiat currency like the USD.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  5. lucky43113

lucky43113 Active Member

i agree the dollar may not always be accepted but no matter where u live you can always trade gold/silver for any fiat currency no matter what that is

6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

You are incorrect, real World numbers are totally in-line with the info presented. You would just rather believe what you want with absolutely nothing to back it up. You want to argue your point, let's see you prove it with some data, otherwise your opinion is worthless.

7. lucky43113

lucky43113 Active Member

i guess ill need to take pics next time i go to the store

8. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Then go back and Google the historical prices. It's all there if you look, let me know how you make out.

9. lucky43113

lucky43113 Active Member

your talking over all numbers im talking what comes out of my pocket everyday i dont care if prices went down in another state i care about where i am since thats what i have to pay

10. Murphys Mike

Murphys Mike Member

I am buying and when I do sell I will be more than happy I don't listen to forums.

11. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

Numismatic silver value...different story...

12. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

13. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

I disagree. We are genetically programmed to respond to and desire "shine"...something that originally helped us find water but that manifested into our fascination with precious metals as well. And stones.

Even "Jake and the NeverLand Pirates" (a very popular Disney cartoon for todays youth) focuses on finding gold doubloons. You put a bag of gold in front of any human being and what they are willing to do for it will amaze you. And I mean ANYONE.

billy b likes this.
  14. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I don't believe that is true, our "love" for Gold is a learned trait, and not something that is innate. If you disagee, why is it that entire cultures held Gold in no higher respect than any other rock. Our own natives Americans, had to "learn" from the Europeans of Golds "worth". Until then, it was just a curiuos rock that was too soft to form into a spearhead, so they threw it back into the river. They were not the exception to the rule either. Many other cultures had the same attitude towards Gold.

I don't think the shine theory holds true, as folks would mysteriously collecting and hording aluminum foil, if it were just the shine. Certainly our youngsters would be picking up every bit they found if it was something built into our DNA, but that does not happen.

They reason folks are willing to almost anything for Gold is not a desire for they metal itself, but the thought of all the fiat it can be converted to. I mean you can't spend a doubloon, right?

15. lucky43113

lucky43113 Active Member

Lots of cultures worshiped gold like Egyptians and mynas

16. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Never said they didn't, I just said it was a learned trait, and not innate, if it was innate, ALL cultures would have worshipped it, not just "lots of"

17. OldGoldGuy

The programming in humans to flock towards a sparkle or shine is a real thing. I am not debating that, I am telling you a fact. Look it up. It was a mechanism that allowed our ancestors to pinpoint water on a horizon. In fact, I think they reference a study about this concept in the documentary Discover Channel did on gold mining. When I have a minute I will find that part and post it as it

I also think you would be hard pressed to find any quality or behavior that is uniform across all cultures except the desire for food, water and shelter. So naming one example of a culture that does not, or did not at one point in time value gold, disproves nothing.

But you did prove my point in your statement. The SPARKLE, the SHINE certainly did get noticed, and in turn, that gold got picked up by the Indians in your example. However, being uneducated and finding no immediate uses to their primitive needs, they tossed it. But they sure as heck saw it glimmer and grabbed it. I believe you are confusing or extrapolating an incorrect conclusion with the comment about tinfoil hoarding. I really don't know how to explain it better. When early humans were crossing some plains with hungry animals stalking them, dehydrated and hungry, that sparkle on the horizon indicated water. Not gold. It is the sparkle that signaled a place where they could stick their face in the ground and drink some ebola infested water and live a little longer till that hungry beast caught up with them.

The learned aspect is as you said in your last paragraph, todays youth know that the gold is valuable, maybe they don't know why, but they know they can get a whole lot of dope, or video games, or whatever with it.

If we were able to do an experiment with a perfect group that has been untainted by modern values, we could prove this idea that humans are wired to like gold. If you put a child in a room with a few marbles, some made of gold, some made of a dull black plastic, I guarantee you the vast majority would choose the gold ones to play with, keep, etc. Knowing nothing of metallurgy, economics, etc, the only reason left would be that it is "different" or "special". Is it different or special, who cares? The point is, the gold marbles would disappear first. I was actually able to loosely test this just now with my son, an infant. He unquestionably crawls towards the shinier object when given a choice.

18. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I see, so they had to be educated about its value.... That is my point :)

If all your are saying is folks take notice of shiny objects. I do agree with that.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  19. OldGoldGuy

Ha. Actually, yes. That was all I was saying. In hindsight, it was awfully wordy, wasn't it?

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And that's why so many fortunes have been made from iron pyrite.

21. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I like silver much better than gold. Gold is a very precious metal, but it is also very dangerous. I prefer the cooler metal.

Draft saved Draft deleted