Silver vs CPI vs Stock Market

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Phil Ham, Feb 22, 2015.

?

Where are you investing most of your money?

1. Bullion

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. US Equity Market

28 vote(s)
    56.0%
  3. Global Equity Market

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Real Estate

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Bond Market

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Money Market

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Under Pillow

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. None of the Above

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Dividend reinvestment has been my friend over the years. I remember when microsoft was $7.xx/share, google around $90. Bought apple years ago @ $50. don't renember how many times it split. same w/ microsoft .

GoldFinger1969 and -jeffB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Well-Known Member

Apple went to $80
    Then a 2-1 split to$40
    Them back to $80 for another 2-1 split to $40
    Then to $770 then a 7-1 split tp $110

midas1 likes this.
  4. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Hmm it looks like silver is dead last throughout the entire duration of the chart. Who woulda guessed ?

5. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Doesn't matter where you start. The results the same. Go ahead start it at 1999 and Gold, Stocks, NASDAQ, Anything have all done better than silver.

I was just reading in the paper today how this past decade was one of the best for investors pretty much ever. Just about everything brought great returns and inflation was low. Silver gained nothing.

midas1 likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem MODERATOR Senior Errer Collecktor Moderator

And all will reap their just rewards in time.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Tell that to the people who bought in 2010 and sold in 2011.

Or the people who sold in 2017 or so and never delivered the goods.

GoldFinger1969 and Clawcoins like this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I don't have it handy, but start in 1970 and see what the comparisons are.

We have lived in the largest stock market return in history. We have also lived through a massive inflation of the GSR due to entry into the world market of cultures who exclusively value gold and not silver.

Will these things continue? That is debatable. Tens of millions of baby boomers will be liquidating stocks in the coming years to finance retirement, into an already very high PE market. Put a recession into this mix and one could foresee a 50% declining stock period fairly easily. Will Asians continue to covet gold or will their economies evolve and they gain more belief in local stocks and bonds?

I am not saying I know any of these things, just saying assuming bull stock markets or GSR inflation moving forward is a big IF. I do not like having all eggs in IFs. I diversify. I have lost money, (versus other investing options), in pm, land, and some other things. However, I do not diversify to be 100% right, I diversify so as to not be 100% wrong. I make my bets, spread the risks around some, and wait to see what transpires. Jumping in and out of positions is not my style for retirement money.

GoldFinger1969 and -jeffB like this.
  9. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

i'm up so much w/ aapl,msft,googl,intc, and RCEL if the market lost 50% it would be a big yawn for me. Besides, i've never had the need or desire to w/d from my roth acct. at this point, i view aapl msft & intc as blue chip stocks.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

You might be, but most investment decisions are discussing the next dollar. I was just making the point that past performance may not be the best indicator of the next 10 years.

midas1 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I agree w/ you. I was fortunate to discover these stocks in their infancy
    and had the bucks to buy them at insanely low prices. Oddly enough, my attempts at diversification have always had significantly lower returns.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  12. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"That's a concentrated stock portfolio, with fairly high P/E and tech-heavy components"

Very true. My ROTH acct saw a gain of 68% in 2019.
    Curious to watch how the coronavirus plays out. Will be an opportunity to get into solar and other passive energy stocks.

13. crazyd

crazyd Active Member

I wonder - for those who own (or rather still have a mortgage) if they are "investing" more in 401k's or PM or savings then they invest in trying to own their their home?

I see statistics of housing being 30+ percent of most peoples monthly spending and I would be shocked if people are investing more than 10% in their 401K or other investment savings. Its why I chose real-estate in the list above

I mean I am not necessarily investing in my home to make a profit but to have a nice comfortable place to live without that major expense in retirement.

14. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Oh wouldn't PlatinumCollector know all about that :p

Draft saved Draft deleted