Silver Rounds or Silver Bars, Post Em' if You've Got Em'!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Aug 19, 2020.

1. beaver96

beaver96 Active Member

Staying in Australia. thumbnail_IMG_0996.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0993.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0999.jpg

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harrync

harrync Active Member

Interesting info. You are most likely right that 1960 was the last year that they produced stamped bars, but I suspect they were producing unstamped bars after that. Why? When the Treasury announced that silver certificates would no longer be redeemed for silver based on $1.29/oz after June, 1968, my brother and I started buying up all the certificates we could get. Most at $1.05, but we went as high as $1.10. Then when we had a bit over a thousand dollars worth, we took them to the SF Assay Office [now the mint again] and redeemed them for silver bars. [More than one person said we were fools to redeem them, since they would be rare collector items for sure.] You had to have over $130 to get a bar, because they were all 100 oz, plus or minus a bit. The disappointment was that the weight and other ID was done with a felt pen! Since the demand for these bars did not begin until the mid 1960's, I suspect they were produced around 1965-1968. No way to really prove they were mint products, so when silver spiked in 1979-80, I am afraid they did go into the melting pot. If you didn't have $130 worth, you got little manila envelopes with $1 worth of silver granules in them. I still have one of them. They only other place to redeem silver certs was the New York Assay Office.
    silver baggie 3.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. BJBII

BJBII Member

Found in my dad's hoard . . .
    12 oz.

Attached Files:

5. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

One of my 10 oz silver bars I got a few years ago online.

I love the design and I hope you can still get these.

[​IMG]

6. beaver96

beaver96 Active Member

I picked this one up last year.
    baa (2).jpg ba (2).jpg

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted