Silver Pandas

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tater, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'm not sure if this belongs in the bullion section or world coins. I have been picking up a few silver pandas from my local shop when they come in, which is almost never. It's taken awhile but I have from 2001 to the present. I am curious on peoples thoughts about the panda market. We saw some good profits in some of the earlier date pandas, has the ship sailed? Have we seen the boom day of panda collecting? I like the design and have collected them for that reason, this thread is more to see what some of the more seasoned panda collectors think about the current market and if they are bearish or bullish on silver panda.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I bought a 2016 at the last coin show in Vegas for $24.00 best price I have seen on a panda. do I think it will go up ? no. there's tons of them out there. wait for other opinions...

4. I sold the few I had a while ago. All were slabbed so authenticity was not really an issue. I think there will always be a solid market for the earlier lower mintage issues. People are wary of raw pandas due to fakes in the marketplace though. Very cool that you have acquired 2001 to date.

5. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

I recently looked into these as well. The 2015 and 2016 issues have some 1st time ever changes.
    2015 on the face of the coin shows no stated purity as in .999Au
    2016 issue for the first time ever the weight of the coin and purity is in grams not the standard USA measure of ounces.
    Get the gold ones much more bang for the buck.

6. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

The early years had more value because of low mintage like 120,000 in 1993; 168,000 in 1995; 50,000 in 1997; 100,000 in 1998: Then 2010 - 1,500,000; 2011 - 6,000,000; 2012-2016 - 8,000,000.

baseball21 likes this.
  7. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Yeah I worry that the amount of fakes have actually hurt the market. I wish I could find a 2016 for $24 bucks.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

How much is the 2016 now. I bought 20 or so on presale for like $21 per. I like them and 15 came in a hard flat sheet

9. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I've bought groups of 5 on Ebay.....collectible thing, not something I would buy big $$$ worth.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

This. It is not that the ship sailed or people don't like them anymore, it is just the mintage on them exploded which turned them much more into a bullion type coin than the collector type of the earlier dates.

11. BunkerTrapMan

look how tiny this panda gold coin is.
    1/20th oz
    tiny panda.jpg

Cascade and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  12. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I have one of those 1/20th ouncers !! :D

BunkerTrapMan likes this.
  13. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

yeah, they are small. I have a hard time seeing the details on a 1/10 ounce.

14. BunkerTrapMan

All my Pandas.jpg 2 tiny pandas.jpg I liked it so much that I ordered another one.

Here is a scan of the Pandas I have

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Cascade likes this.
  15. ilLOminatus

ilLOminatus Member

I collect all kinds of world silver bullions and have started buying silver pandas since 2000. Back then the prices were still reasonable $25 to $50 for the 1990s including their variants. Now their prices (1990s pandas) have climbed up quite high, which is more a function of the numbers struck versus collectors demand now. Going forward it will just be your normal bullion coins with millions struck, the collectible ones will be the special privy mark issues so if you aim to invest, find these privy marked pandas.

If you do slabs, the current slab styles already show that it is an oversupplied bullion coins. I do mostly NGC and now there are already so many 'slab labels' with the exact same coin to sell even more: red label, panda label, china flag label, etc. I expect them to sign contract with the China Mint directors and designers and engravers any time now to start signing their slabs, lol.

I am still conflicted now whether or not to continue collecting pandas now that they are 30 grams instead of 1oz, oh well

16. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I've noticed that a lot of people are out of stock of the 2016 silver pandas and those that have them have increased the price dramatically, is this a short term supply issue or have the sold out?

17. BunkerTrapMan

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think since this year represent the change from Ounce to Grams it has been in huge demand as a change coin. Last year they did not put the weight of the coin on it either and prices have gone up too on those. All I need is the 1oz to complete the set for 2016 but gold has been going up and it is nearly 1300.00 for that 30 g coin.
    I did buy 2 silver ones when they first came out at 19.65 ea

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just bought my first "1oz" gold Panda and I must say I'm in love. The quality is amazing and the 3 different finishes really make them pop. The panda looks like he's hanging on a tree branch over a lake about to fall in

The only other gold pandas I've owned were four 1991 1/10oz that I bought for $900 at a safe deposit box auction in Nov 2013. Sold them on ebay a month later for $2000. It was a mistake buy too because I thought I was bidding on the next lot. Sometimes bad bids work out lol. Just wish I would have kept 1 but I wasn't really into collecting then aside from morgans

Marks are on the plastic
    20160304_180118.jpg 20160304_180109.jpg

19. Hi:
    You do know that Silver Pandas are only 30 Grams compared to 31.1 Grams for
    most other SILVER products. You are getting short changed.
    CW

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

No short change with these. It is what it is and the premium lies in popularity and superior quality. And of coarse I know it's 30g which is why I put the 1oz in quotes

Draft saved Draft deleted