Silver or Gold

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by schepys_coins, Jan 6, 2019.

1. schepys_coins

schepys_coins Eric's Best Friend

what do you stack Junk silver, silver rounds, or gold if you stack all three then what is your personal favorite ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Gold in flips or airtights, silver in the same or coin tubes if not perfect, silver dollars in tubes or bags and junk silver in bags. I've never had a problem.

4. schepys_coins

schepys_coins Eric's Best Friend

ok

5. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

IMO Gold seems right, right now. I’m more or less always stacking silver but gold is my choice, today.

Best choice for testing the waters? The previous post lauding the Canadian Maple Leaf is spot on, no pun intended. It comes in silver or gold. The comparable premium is less than that associated with the American Silver Eagle.

SilverSurfer415 likes this.
  6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Most precious metals are down right now, so a good time to invest
    In Gold or Silver :) for me i prefer 10 OZ Silver Bars Johnson
    Matthay or Engelhard

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Here’s where my thinking is. You are a young collector and likely don’t have a great deal of cash laying around. I collected for many years with thin pockets. Everyone is telling you correct. The fractional gold is pretty to look at. But you will never recover the premium...... I started buying worn silver halves and such in the 1980’s. Usually a piece or two at a time from pawn shops. The pieces are numismatically interesting, and the silver value is always there. Start simple and stick with it and before you know it you will have yourself a tidy little stack that has some value.

8. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

You can find 1/10 gold oz issues from the American, Canadian, and Perth mints pretty regularly for only around $5 over spot. Buying a tenth of an oz of gold for $135 right now requires gold to reach $1350 to break even. Taking that 4% risk is pretty smart. Check with your coin shop or Provident Metals or JMBullion every Monday morning for specials.

I bought several tenths in 2018 for an average of $128. I'm doing just fine right now with gold at $1300.

9. mkan20

mkan20 New Member

for gold, I buy anything I can find that's close to spot. I won't pay a high premium for modern gold bullion. seeing some good deals on 1/2 and 1oz coins compared to 1/10 and 1/4oz stuff.

I do collect pre-33 gold coins (graded only), so my margins tend to be higher on those. I don't picture myself selling the pre-33 stuff so its something i'm willing to live with.

don't forget to collect what you like!

crazyd likes this.
  10. mpcusa

Buy what makes you money...LOL

11. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I might have missed it and probably doesn't matter anymore as you probably already made a decision, but I look at it like this: It all depends how much money you are looking to invest in metals.

Because I don't want to tell you what to do, here's what I would do under the scenario:

If I was just starting out and had basically $100 or nothing in metals and I was wanting to move $2,000 into it. I would go for silver right now as that could get me ~110 1oz ASEs. They don't take that much room as we're only talking 5x 20 coin tubes and 1x 10 coin tube. Now I could do whatever you want with them at any time. Sell a quarter, half, third, etc. One is not bound to just a single coin going this route.

"But the premium needs to be recouped!" -- I think it's safe to ignore the premium at today's price of $15.65

Now same scenario, but with $20,000 instead. I would probably buy half of it in silver and the rest in gold. It's hard right now for me to ignore silver because I honestly think it has no place to go but up.

If I already had stacks of silver and cared about the space then I would probably pick up gold.

12. mpcusa

I think most people our passive investors, to make real money you have
    To invest allot of dollars, 401K or major savings theft....LOL, to make
    any real impact !

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So you're saying... gold would have to go up one hundred percent for you to double your money, but silver would only have to double its price? o_O

ilmcoins likes this.
  14. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

Sounds about right!!

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

6 or half a dozen, it's the same.

16. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

Sure. Gold is way more expensive.

Draft saved Draft deleted