Silver getting crushed today

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Soiled, Apr 1, 2016.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

If it is bullion, or a 0.9999 coin issued primarily as bullion (think of Liberian $20), then yes I do. If it is a silver coin with a history behind it, then no I do not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Maybe "generally", but not "always".
    I've bought ASE tubes too, but not strictly as bullion. It's the preference of the person buying whatever bullion, coin, etc. Some people collect certain bars for their rarity / stamps etc above bullion valuations.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Very difficult to get the premiums on specialty bars back out when you sell :(

5. 2011steeny

2011steeny Member

OK, but the ASE market has a history, even if it is only 31 years old. Case in point, it's more difficult now to purchase back dated ASE's, then it was just 10 years ago.

One could say that any & all silver COINS, (w/ a numerical value & legal tender), will have a history on them. Regardless though, silver is a precious medal, and it is a source/type of bullion.

As a collector of PM's myself, what I consider as "just" bullion, would be; (silver)

999.9, 999, 95% (sterling), rounds, bars, etc.

90% (pre 64), Culled, undetectable (date, mint mark, features, etc.) US silver coinage

80% (Canadian), Culled, (same as above) older silver coinage

50%, Culled, (same as above) many Canadian commemorative's, and some world coins

40%, Culled, (same as above), silver Ike's and other world coinage

& 35%, Culled, (same as above), Wartime Nickels, and other world coinage

6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

It is rare to buy those early ASE by the roll. It can be done, but most ASEs bought by the roll will be 21st century, and more than likely from the last 10 years.

7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Looks like we got sidetracked here. I was asking what to put my ASE collection into. I was thinking Dansco and someone said they just put their collection in tubes. Then I asked how to best take care of a collection in tubes. Anyways, rock on everyone and do as you wish with your ASE's!

8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Ah! I guess I missed that. The word collection makes all the difference. Each year I get a tube of ASEs. One is carefully put into each of my Danso albums using gloves and then the others are just tossed aside with not a care at all because those are bought as bullion. If I am able to acquire extra coins for the date I just pu them in the tube without bothering to handle them carefully

9. 2011steeny

2011steeny Member

I guess I jumped in late as well to this part of the forum. This is actually the "Silver Getting Crushed Today" forum, so I assumed, (and yes everyone knows what that means), we were just on the topic of Silver in general.

Anyway, you had asked, what to put your ASE collection in. I am a numismatic, hobbyest, coin collector, PM investor, and ASE extraordinaire. OK, seriously, my first question would be, how long have you been collecting ASE's. Second, what type of ASE's are you trying to collect, (uncirculated, proof, burnished, or special sets? Third, (for your safety don't give me a number), what type of ASE's have you started with so far? Forth, are you collecting for the purpose of investment, or satisfaction? Lastly, (for now), are your purchases primarily for uncertified, ungraded, coins?

Get back with me a little later and I'll respond back to you tomorrow, I'm going to bed, it's almost 2:30am here.

10. Clawcoins

Hey look .. a squirrel !!! or Silver zooming up
    I guess being the 14th the 225th silver medal is going to start selling today and *this* has to be the market's reaction to it LMAO

btw, I think I bought on the lowest dip on the chart :)
    [​IMG]

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

This thread goes off on tangents so don't worry about it. I have had tubes of 2016 ASE's and currently have tubes of 2017 ASE's. I just ordered 10 random date ASE's online. I have been involved with them for a year and a half, a lot of times giving them away as gifts. I am just trying to collect uncirculated ASE's. Not interested in anything else. I am collecting for satisfaction. Also Ungraded. Note, I plan on collecting these with my niece and nephew, so they will be going on the ride with me. I will be giving them considerable help. The LCS I go to said often times we can trade out. I have a tube of 2017's I will use as ammo.

12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

So I just came in from working outside and found that silver jumped $0.50 and the dollar index dropped 0.5%. What did I miss?

13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I don't know, I just saw that too. Glad I bought at the low dip yesterday.

14. Clawcoins

CPI drop and weak US Retail sales data (like that's new ??) .... so ppl pulling $ out of retail stocks and putting in the "safe" PM bet for now.

abuckmaster147 and sakata like this.
  15. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Oh well I guess I missed another time to buy. To much money going out on the farm right now though. I still need a 16 Panda. But $25.00 plus ship is outright crazy!!!
    And Bman I have not forgot. Just been busy.

16. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

On this matter, (collecting ASEs) I would stay away from tubes. As previously mentioned, they are easy to damage them. I would go with a Dansco album myself.
    Now back to our previously scheduled program. Yep, silver seemed to go up .50¢ in the blink of an eye.

17. Clawcoins

I stay away from cardboard type albums because over time they may tone the coins/ASEs, etc.
    I don't like toning. But some people do. :)

Albums do make it very easy to look at the coins.

18. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

To bad silver is not getting crushed today. It was almost in buy territory.

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

The ASE's were yesterday. Looks like that spike we saw this morning has been flattened by New York too.

20. Clawcoins

It really bounced up didn't it ? wow, quick move.
    [​IMG]

I could actually tell them to keep the ASEs on Buyback and make a small, very small profit.

21. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

Still wasn't cheap enough. Spot needs to be in the low 16s for me. 14s are better.

abuckmaster147 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted