Silver getting crushed today

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Soiled, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Dj, I'm pretty new to silver but it's a commodity. Prices can go up and down and all around. I suggest doing some research before buying. I didn't do any when I made my first purchase and paid really high premiums from LCS's. Sold over the weekend and made a little money because it went up $3.50 from when I bought it. I got lucky. I will not buy again til I have some bills paid off. Some even say not to buy unless you are very sound financially. If you are then then that's good, still do some research before you join the table.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Soiled

Soiled Everyone has coin Avatars. I chose space.

Imo no. But if you buy now and it goes to 15 who cares. It'll be at 50 before you know it. Trying to call the bottom or top is virtually impossible.

4. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

idk, I feel like I'd just be extremely mad if I bought at 17 and then it goes to 15. Not sure why but I just would. I wanted to buy at $14 but both my jobs layed me off days before it happened and I just got my new job today so I totally missed the whole thing and am ready to spend every penny I got on bullion so I want the most I can possibly get.

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

That's not a good idea. Never ever lock in all your investments into one commodity. You will be wishing otherwise, very soon.

6. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Well I should probably clarify my "every penny" is only $109.79. I'm a deeply in debt 20 year old who's been without a job since October.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  7. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

The answer is - Maybe! But I don't think it will for a long long time.

I'll either be very right - and silver will go past $18 this year during the election frenzy, and then to $20 by June 2017 - or it will fall off a cliff - which doesn't seem to be the direction it's heading.

8. Brett_in_Sacto

Focus on finding a job and paying off debt. You don't want to be in a commodity that ties up what little free cash you have.

Chances are the debt you have will have a higher interest rate than you can expect in metals appreciation. So you will actually be sending yourself deeper into the hole by buying metals.

How is a 20yr old deep in debt? Dare I ask? I hope it's only student loans, which at least should lead to higher income when you graduate! If you say credit cards or car payments - you're in for a rough life!

saltysam-1 likes this.
  9. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I know the answer.
    Yes, it will close at $15.27 on November 20, 2016.

Guaranteed. Bank on it.

Bman33 likes this.
  10. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Let's just say the age for a credit card should definitely be 21+ IMO. Got one to build a credit for a car loan and it did the exact opposite. My "deep in debt" is really only $5,000 but even that's hard to pay when on only a couple hours of minimum wage each month and has a high interest. Kinda glad now that they declined me on the Lotus Exige I got the card for.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I would suggest getting your personal finances together before you do anything.

Garlicus and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

If you really want to get a little silver at face value save up $500 dollars and you can do some Coin Roll Hunting for half dollars.

13. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

I've been coin roll hunting dimes for a couple years now. Still do. But I wanted to get a few ASE's and it looks like I've lost that chance now.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Dimes are tough, the consensus is you average one dime per box of 50 rolls. Not a good pay back on that and the time and money to get $1.35 of silver makes it not worth it.

15. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Really? It's the opposite for me. I get the clear rolls cause they're really easy to search fast and average like 3 per box. So quick with the clear rolls that I can search it in the car and hit up multiple banks per day (which I usually do).

But I have tried halfs before and found a lot but they're not common to get in my area and the banks don't like ordering them for me.

Bman33 likes this.
  16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That's cool you are having luck with dimes. The number I gave was through my experience and others in the Coin Roll Hunting Forum.

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

You seem enterprising and have common sense enough to succeed in life. Don't give in to your present situation. Your a bright mind and are trying your best to improve yourself. I think you will, and soon. Keep at it.

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, and the Cubbies were supposed to beat Miami in the 2016 World Series :p

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Alright, silver closed at $17.12 for the week. I am going to a coin show this weekend and if I can get some ASE's for $2.50 over spot I'm buying.

20. Brett_in_Sacto

So here's my big "I TOLD YOU SO" to everyone that said there was no inflation - happening or in the near future. Mostly - this is for Kurt - if he's still following, since he was pretty adamant about there not being any inflation. :bookworm:

In short - I'm stockpiling metals where I can, and I've moved the lion's share of equity funds into bonds and money market.

www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/05/17/consumer-prices-post-largest-gain-in-three-years.html

U.S. consumer prices recorded their biggest increase in more than three years in April as gasoline and rents rose, pointing to a steady inflation build-up that could give the Federal Reserve ammunition to raise interest rates later this year.

The Labor Department said on Tuesday its Consumer Price Index increased 0.4 percent last month, the largest gain since February 2013, after rising 0.1 percent in March. That took the year-on-year increase in the CPI to 1.1 percent from 0.9 percent in March.

There were also increases in medical care and food prices. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast the CPI gaining 0.3 percent last month and advancing 1.1 percent from a year ago.

[​IMG]

slackaction1 likes this.
  21. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

"Debt is dumb, and cash is king." - Dave Ramsey

Tell your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.
    http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

Give yourself financial freedom.
    http://www.daveramsey.com/baby-steps/?snid=footer.tools.babysteps

Draft saved Draft deleted