Silver getting crushed today

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Soiled, Apr 1, 2016.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

One burp in so many I can't remember...good time to buy stocks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

anyone want to buy my Gold tooth???? Just kidding I would have to pull it from GGG grandma's crypt. :) :)

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I still have a silver filling in one of my teeth. The rest were long ago replaced with the newer ceramic colored cosmetic implants that blend with the color of the teeth, but for whatever reason I still kept that one last silver one. So when silver goes to the moon anybody want to buy my filling? Maybe I can retire from it when silver hits $500,000 an ounce. :p:rolleyes:

abuckmaster147 likes this.
  5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I really admire buzzards. They are very patient---circling for the "long term." You can watch them for 15 minutes and maybe see them flap their wings three times.

And then they get rid of the mess from Natural Selection's victory over the weak and/ or stupid.
    And yet people seem to hate them?

Perhaps Nature should have some kind of institution that provides "accommodative policy" to circumvent what would otherwise be yummy roadkill.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

One thing I'm starting to realize, ultimately the amount of gold and silver on Earth doesn't matter. In another 50-70 years asteroid mining will be a real thing. By the time my future grandchildren (if I have any) reach my age, the silver and gold reserves available to humanity will be measured in Billions of years. The Earth will turn to a burnt husk around a red supergiant sun long before it all runs out.

7. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

It's interesting to speculate, but it doesn't really matter. The supply of gold and silver may grow if asteroid mining becomes a thing, but population will also increase by that time as would the economic output of the world. Therefore, a natural increase in the supply of money would need to happen to account for the additional value of the goods and services that new population provides to the planet. Therefore, it wouldn't seem likely that an increase in metals would really affect the price of those metals if population expands and the value of the global economy expands by a relatively similar amount.

8. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Seriously, only the very economically ignorant did not expect China to fight back using currency manipulation. I also expect that soon, when they see little change of trade or threat, they will declare that China will no longer be a buyer of farm products from the US. ..I am now favoring bullion short term over stocks until trade becomes more normalized. , IMO, Jim.

p..s. to Add the VIX ( volutility index is up over 25%. Recently only saw that much during 2008 crash and 9/11 years. Over 30 is very significant if it happens.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

With options on the GDX , a straddle gives a person the chance to bet on both it going up well or instead going down well. Only if it stays near the current will one lose. I do not think it is going to stay in this position myself. I just don't know if its going to continue up or crash down and do not want to buy physical bullion or sell it when things are in spooky land. Jim

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

If someone knows the market for gold will peak and stocks recover, the smarter play is to sell into strength and buy weakness. I have been doing this a little buying platinum and gold the last year instead of equities. If pm pops up and stocks decline, I will start buying equities.

I like buying assets "on sale" when others are not much interested in them if they are valuable long term assets.

runninghorse1 and -jeffB like this.
  12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I like to dabble in rare AV coinage. Seems you are having lots of fun, plus great investment in long term.
    John IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0705.JPG

Attached Files:

13. longnine009

So stackers are crazy and paranoid? Dow futures was down 200 points a few hours ago now it's up 200+ points.

14. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I actually wouldn't be so optimistic about this. China may have realized how much they can mess with our market by how they value their currency. So, increasing the value back to 7-1 may be a temporary decision to raise the market and we'll see very soon they will devalue it again.

I would love it if the possibility that us labeling them a currency manipulator and threatening to take them to the IMF is what caused them to adjust back last night, but I'm not that optimistic.

15. longnine009

Uh oh looks like Gollum may be winning the struggle with Smeagol. Only up 80points ---

"Forget that! Look over there, something shiny; is that one of those crazy paranoid stackers?"

16. longnine009

The way the global economy is going countries such as Vietnam will soon have capacity-- if they don't already. Is there a reason why they might object to picking up China's exports?

17. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Small stuff - a 2500 point drop would be more significant at current Dow levels :rolleyes:

Mr. Flute likes this.
  18. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

True. 2-3 thousand would be significant given the wild swings these days.

19. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

I think it may be time to change the name of this thread.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. abuckmaster147

21. abuckmaster147

I would like to unload some gold jewelry but really do not know who to trust in my area, Then again I think I said that when gold was close to 17 a few years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted