Silver getting crushed today

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Soiled, Apr 1, 2016.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I totally believe you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

What about a Mekong catfish? I'm pretty sure it's a commodity but is it a regular commodity as in Mekong catfish or is a really huge commodity as in Giant Mekong catfish.

The reason I ask is because a Mekong catfish caught in 1981 was 8 ft. 10 in. long and weighs 646 lbs. I believe they called it a Giant Mekong catfish. But shouldn't it be obvious that a 646 pound catfish is a giant? Perhaps a poll would help. Which camp are you in: Giant Mekong catfish or just Mekong catfish?

slackaction1 and abuckmaster147 like this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Like all commodities, there are standards specified by each market as to what qualifies.

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The key is that "cash/money" is very specific. Very entrenched in modern society.

If one wants "money" they have to convert commodities to money in order to buy something else; this is excluding forms of bartering etc. But it's not always guaranteed someone will want to barter another commodity for their commodity; whereas "money" is usually always accepted.

This includes Gold, silver, fish, etc.
    Of course the further you get away from a stable commodity such as gold, then it has a shelf-life which affects it's money valuation and barter valuation.

Of course, sometimes you can bury a commodity such as eggs in the backyard in the dirt. After a year it would have no value to most people, but if you have ever been to Japan it is a delicacy. I'm glad I can hide behind being a Vegan from time to time.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

But then what do you do about a sense of humor? Most vegans I've met have none. And it's not just me who says that. Ever listen to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me on NPR?

7. longnine009

Conversely, what if a 646 pound Mekong catfish is not a giant at all? What if someone caught a 5000 pound Mekong catfish? You can't very well call that a giant when you're calling a 646 pound lil runt a giant? Now you'd have to add a new grade. Such as Apocalypsie WOW!! Mekong catfish.

8. Clawcoins

Ha !! It's just a nice term to use and I cook Vegan from time to time.
    When you don't want to eat something nasty it's nice to know when to use certain categorizations to be allowed to skip it. lol

9. Clawcoins

you'll have to send them all to a TPG to be certified a certain weight, quality, variety and whatever else you can categorize a catfish. Entomb them in plastic wrap !!

10. V. Kurt Bellman

"The horror, the horror..."

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Carl Kasell died.

12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Not sure what that has to do with silver. Seems like a total, out-of-the-blue non sequitur.

But I did hear it. I had never seen his name in print before and always thought it was Karl Castle.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think most of us here can agree that we would rather stack gold than giant catfish. At least if our "investment horizon" is more than a day or two out.

14. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

If you would stop ignoring what Kurt says, then you'd get the context.

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Ah. I have to admit, that did not occur to me. But I think I will continue the way I am.

16. Clawcoins

I'd need a bigger safe. And add freezing stuff to it.

slackaction1 likes this.
  17. -jeffB

Pretty sure that even the silver I bought at its 2011 peak has held its value better than your 2011 frozen catfish. ;)

18. longnine009

The first TPG that slabs a large Yap Stone (the real deal, not a cast copy in Sakrete) will have a hard to beat promotional gimmick.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  19. longnine009

That would depend on how much someone pays for a 646 lb catfish. Asians like their fish. 10 minutes on an auction block is all that's needed not days. The Japanese bid big bucks for giant Blue Fin Tuna; wonder what they'd bid for a giant catfish.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  20. -jeffB

Ah, so you're a flipper, not a stacker, then.

Clawcoins and slackaction1 like this.
  21. longnine009

I was under the impression that most of you would rather stack frolicking unicorns from Wall Street.

Clawcoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted