Silver getting crushed today

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Soiled, Apr 1, 2016.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Sure, but how many did? I bet a lot did not. I personally know many people who lost of lot and got out before they lost more. It is the same as silver. How many sold close to the top? I bet not many did.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't disagree with that. Their individual decisions though don't change which has had the far better track record. Part of investing is knowing when to buy/sell/hold. Even the best investments can look mediocre with bad timing on decisions.

sakata likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It's probably better sakata has me blocked. It would only raise both our blood pressures if he responded to me.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

THAT is the psychology that kills fortunes in a panic situation. My dad, my uncle, and I were buying up beat up banks, insurance companies, Ford and Ford Motor Credit bonds like there weren't going to be any more. We did GREAT! Oh yeah, I did sell big right at the VERY tippy top in gold (the actual top day), but I missed the top in silver and had to settle for a secondary high after the first dip. I sold a slew at $40.40 an ounce.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I would've lost quite a lot if I'd sold stocks near the bottom in 2008. I didn't, and nearly all my stocks regained their losses and then some.

I would've lost quite a lot if I'd sold the silver I bought in 2011 any time in the last couple of years.

I hope you aren't suggesting that "buy high, sell low" only happens to stock speculators, and PM speculators, er, "investors" are immune...

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Stock "Investors" are not immune to stock price crashes, such as Valeant, GoPro and many others where the valuation crashes and doesn't really come back; or worst bankruptcy (ZERO valuation) such as RadioShack, The Limited, HHGregg, or even Toys R Us ...

8. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Not Toys R Us? "Oh, the Humanity!" What they need to do, is contact the Swiss CB or get in touch with one of the Fed's Dark Pools and request the rescue package ASAP. "Wealth Effect" and such. lol

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If you say that three times in front of the mirror in the dark, the Lone Ranger's horse will appear to you. :)

10. baseball21

All of those could be seen coming from a mile away especially Radioshack. That's like thinking Blockbuster was going to return to glory.

losthomer likes this.
  11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I think that in these days of rapidly increasing technology it is probably very difficult for a retail store selling these things to keep ahead of things. The business model would have to change too much.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Hee, hee, hee. There used to be a Blockbuster in the town nearest where I recently lived, but Blockbuster sold it to the manager, who still runs it at a nice profit. How? Absolutely crappy Internet bandwidth. Most people can't stream video there on a bet. Just this past Monday, I was able to stream a video podcast successfully for the first time in my life.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. baseball21

There's a reason most of them went under. Really only Best Buy seems to have survived and they almost went under too, but they also greatly expanded the products they sell and ditched a lot of the movies/music they used to rely on. People sometimes forget that with retail companies their own life can be good market research for what stores they use, what they see busy, what their friends use ect especially if you live in populated areas. We used to have several radioshacks and circuit cities, it was easy to see where they were headed.

My mind was blown last year when I was in Australia and there was not only a Blockbuster but people used it, like near you their internet overall was far behind ours in major cities. In the US where I am I can't go more than a few blocks without tripping over some restaurant or stores wifi. Felt like I was in a time warp.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

I warped into downtown Harrisburg and a whole new world of bandwidth opened for me. I can even download a movie in less than 24-48 hours, which is what it used to take. And my commute is 2 minutes on foot. Annnnd I don't get horse poop on my tires.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Wow you guys have been busy and I did not get even one alert.

16. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

Sears stock anyone?

baseball21 likes this.
  17. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Anywhere near the City House B&B? Nice place to stay.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

City House is just west (on the river) of the northern end of the Capitol, and my place is just off the southeast corner of the Capitol, but yeah, it's walking distance. I'm a block from the Amtrak station, from which I'll travel to many a national coin show. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are upcoming ANA events.
    Whether I use MDT or PHL to get to Irving is still open. I may just use the "CAR". We have a Real ID compliance issue here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    CoinCorgi likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I notice that PM buyers around here keep a close eye on prices. That's only common sense.

If one is to buy stocks, I suggest not only doing that, but to read and keep up with each company one owns. That includes quarterly earnings, analyst ratings and comments (I know some analysts CAN be completely wrongheaded, so don't depend on one report) and industry trends.

The old advice of "put it away and forget about it" is an open invitation to heavy losses -- even in good market times.

Just my humble opinion.

baseball21 likes this.
  20. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Years ago, before I knew much about investment, I had an investment advisor (recommended by an in-law) whose philosophy was buy and hold. And he took it seriously. I eventually took control of my own investment, but only after he had lost me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

21. baseball21

So basically he got paid to do nothing

Draft saved Draft deleted