Silver getting crushed today

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Soiled, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lon haul is the key here. When sliver goes up, I celebrate. When it goes down, I buy more and then celebrate. It's always a win!

Danjohnson, John77 and Bman33 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Buy!!!

Who's Lon? o_O

4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Long haul. Whoops

bdunnse likes this.
  5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel the same way. Going to coin show tomorrow and will probably get a few ounces if I can get something really close to melt.

John77 likes this.
  6. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Buying opportunity.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'm thinking about buying a gold eagle, which I do periodically as an investment hedge, but it seems PMs are in something of a no-man's-land where it's impossible to even guess what the next sustained price trend will go.

Sort of like the stock and bond markets.

bdunnse likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

BUY, BUY, BUY!!!!!

9. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Well my bullion dealer is E.F. Hutton's cousin's brother's barber... And he says...

Oh wait, I'll be right back. :writer:

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Me ;)

bdunnse likes this.
  11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'm not too concerned if I pay 10% over melt, it will probably be melt sooner or later, and since I buy mostly useable silver like bowls and vases, I can call that extra the use value.

I have people who run silver past me before taking it to the bullion dealers, for that extra amount I will pay for nice pieces.

I have saved some good stuff, including many coins, from the melting pot.

Garlicus likes this.
  12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Down to $19.03 as I type. I've been buying a lot at the $19.43-$19.75 range. Lame. If it falls below $18.50 I start losing money.

13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Wierd market right now . . . I sold tons of gold on the website and via email this past week (okay, lots of gold . . . not tons), and didn't sell a single gold piece at the show today.

By the way . . . I don't consider $19 silver getting crushed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  14. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Sorry, it's my fault. I finally bought some silver the other day, so of course it went down, lol.

The best option for you to not lose money is to sell before it hits that $18.50 mark (says Capt. Obvious). Personally, I would like it to dip down to where it was in April/May, so I can get a monster box below $10k, now that I have the cash freed up. Should have bought it when silver was just below $9k for a brief period :banghead:
    Either way, I'm good. Probably sitting on half a year's take home at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

A lot of dealers are charging under spot now for buy back because they have plenty of silver in stock and looks like it's going down.

16. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

$ 18.84 as we speak

17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I bought at the $19-$20 range. If it gets back down to $16 then I will consider purchasing again. Thanks to my purchase off the Govmint site for ASE's and some 10oz coin roll hunting my average is lower at $18.50 per ounce.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Lon Haul. Didn't he pitch middle relief for the Phillies in the late 60's? Wait, that guy's name was Houl. Different guy.

Meanwhile, silver's looking a little shaky again today (until it doesn't). I'm not sure why it ever broke above $20 in the first place. Dead cat bounce?

19. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Do dogs bounce?

20. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Everything bounces if you throw it down hard enough...

Calling silver a "dog" when in the last year it's up this far is kinda bitter. Maybe you were one of those "waiting" for $8 silver? :watching:

I realized a healthy profit this summer by getting rid of about 15 pounds of misc junk and scrap sterling I collected last year, and I'm now holding the higher end stuff and coinage, and buying very selectively when opportunities come up.

On the other side of things, I stayed out of the market all summer expecting a big correction - that hasn't happened yet (I still think stocks are being manipulated for the election so everything "appears fine"). Tech companies are laying off in droves, and the correction is coming.

I didn't time the stock market very well - but I haven't lost anything either.

slackaction1 and Danjohnson like this.
  21. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

I don't use silver or gold as income streams. I consider them a long term (decade or two) savings/store of wealth so price isn't a huge concern to me but value is.

With current levels of debt and future obligations, the value of a certain "something" is sure to fall but I'm convinced it won't be PM's. Not unless the world suffers a massive population decline or new, massive sources of PM's are discovered and brought to market.

"Price is set at the margin" and under the current paradigm, one entity has access to infinite money. This entity has the power to set the "price" of every market (temporarily) but not the value (infinitely).

Draft saved Draft deleted