Silver eagle's OR Morgan dollar's ???

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Doug1974, Feb 1, 2015.

1. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

The U.S. Treasury did not document which coins were melted during the Pittman Act. So ~260 million silver dollars were melted pre-1919. I'd assume that most years and mm were stored close to each other and they just "pulled" bags and bags from the deposits, thus effectively reducing mintage for certain years. I have no proof of this, but it's logical.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Why would people melt down ASEs ? They're worth more as a coin.

4. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

American Silver Eagles
    Canadian Maple Leafs .9999 (that's right (4) 9's
    Mexican Libertads
    Austria Philharmonics

Get these and you will do FINE in the future!!!! JMHO. Thank you and enjoy your upcoming weekend.

5. ASE2015

ASE2015 New Member

Not really. Couldn't you just sell online, like ebay and pass the premium onto the next buyer?

6. GoldFinger1969

I don't know if I or anybody gave you a direct response.....but....there really IS NOT an answer to your question.

All you can get are different opinions, one or some of which might make sense. As an investment professional, I/we know nothing of your financial circumstances, risk tolerance levels, and specific reasons for preferring one over the other.

ASE's track bullion very closely. MSDs can also track silver fairly closely, but also incorporate HUGE premiums for numismatic value. I presume that is what you are talking about, rather than common MSDs in very low grades.

In short....we need more information and even then might not be able to give you a 'right' answer. There may not even BE a right answer.

7. GoldFinger1969

Gold is the international currency metal, not silver.

Millions of Saints across the world, have never heard of similar numbers or $$$ of MSDs overseas. Monetarily, easier to get a large $$$ sum via gold coins.

8. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Silver is also a monetary metal :)

9. GoldFinger1969

Gold is what the IMF, ECB, Central Banks, etc. all focus on.

I think William Jennings Bryan is dead. :D

The Morgan is an attractive coin, but the Saint Gaudens DE has global appeal. Might be the most beautiful coin ever made. The Morgan's obverse is just Liberty's face....the Saint's has Liberty, rays of sunlight, the Capitol, the rock, lots of other items.

10. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I personally like morgan dollars the best. More history than ASE. Buy a coin that you would like to look at, not one you think may or may not be worth more.

Draft saved Draft deleted