Silver eagle's OR Morgan dollar's ???

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Doug1974, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Hello coin/bullion collectors . I am have mixed feeling's on what is a better long term investment American Silver Eagle's or Morgan dollar's ???

Please give me your feedback on this matter as I am in need of TRUE & HONEST help !

Thank you ALL at CoinTalk.
    Doug ( Kent wa. )

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Morgans are a crap shoot. ASE's are good to hold if you can get them close to 'spot'.

krispy, Seattlite86 and Doug1974 like this.
  4. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Please do not hold this against me but what is ASE's ?

I have spent my life collecting US paper money & error's so I am new to coin's !

5. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

If silver goes down, neither. If silver goes up, both. ASE's are American silver Eagles.

Doug1974 likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

American Silver Eagles.......

7. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Is that true for common's only ?

8. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

I have very recently bought the complete silver eagle collection 1986-2015 30 coin's in a dansco folder for $800 all uncirculated eagle's .

And I have about a 3rd of the proof silver eagle's .

I will want to trade or sell them at some point NOT NOW so I will do not want to take a loss !

Did I make a bad buy ? :nailbiting:
    Doug ( Kent Wa.)

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You need for silver to get back to about $26 per ounce to break even.

10. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Mix your investment with both. I have Eagles and Dollars. Short term, Dollars are bad and you'll probably lose money but I'm only 22. Long term I see premiums going up even if silver stays down.

Not necessarily if some of the Eagles have low mintage. Here's assuming his 30 Eagles include every year since 1986 uncirculated. For 1995 and 1996 my local coin shop charges $35 - $40 UNC while I can buy common ones for around $20/$21. Eagles are different from Rounds, they hold premiums over spot even for common dates.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

12. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

I took a picture of 1 page !

13. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

That's good. If that's every year then $800 doesn't sound bad. They look beautiful by the way!

Doug1974 likes this.
  14. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think if you try selling a set like this you will agree with me.

16. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

It wouldn't be right after buying them though. Unless I'm a business I wouldn't do this.

17. krispy

krispy krispy

Eagles (ASE) are dollars, too. ;) Unless you mean $10 pre-1933 gold eagles, or the ongoing series of American Gold Eagles (AGE) in varying denominations ($5, $10, $25, $50)...:D

Doug1974 and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  18. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

You are so right !

19. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

I wish I had gold!! Morgan's, ASE's, and Rounds are what I got. :jimlad:

Doug1974 likes this.
  20. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

I started with what you are looking for !

21. krispy

krispy krispy

Keep saving up and instead of buying silver little by little, you will be able to buy gold instead. You can easily amass the equivalent in silver over a period of time, and yet if you held off buying silver and bought a piece of gold, you'd have that bulk of silver's value in a compact and pretty little piece of gold instead. Besides, it will be much easier to carry on the run or hide away when the zombie apocalypse hits the fan. ;)

You might say you haven't the money and can't wait to buy gold while prices are good for silver, but you can do it if you make it your goal and take your time to acquire some. If you have a lot of silver, you can also trade it in with a dealer for the equivalent in gold. Watch the spot prices to monitor changes in the silver:gold ratio, and when it is more in your favor, try to find a dealer who is willing to trade with you to help you acquire some gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted