Silver Eagles, are they coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by bhp3rd, Jan 24, 2009.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think they just ammended the 1985 gold bullion legislation to include other precious metals, but I could be wrong.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Heck, do you remember my story I posted on here this past summer where I went to an ice cream store and used an old $20 bill to pay? The teenage girl wouldn't accept it because she thought it was fake money. Fortunately, there was someone working with her who was a bit older and recognized it as an "old" $20 bill. :eek::smile

I know what you are saying Doug and you are probably right, but how many times do we here stories like this with people trying to pay with Kennedy halves, Sacs and Prez dollars. I bet if you tried to use an IKE dollar today, you would get a lot of crazy looks since most teenage kids probably have never seen one of those and probably wouldn't accept it. I remember one incident where we were eating at a Mexican restaurant and a friend of mine tried to pay part of the bill with some SBA's and they wouldn't accept them.

Anyway, thought I would throw in more than my two cents worth.

BTW, it would be sacrilegious if I were to spend a ASE! I will just take your word for it. :hail:

4. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

:bigeyes::eek:

5. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

This whole discussion reminds me of the time the guy took a $7 bill into a bank and asked for change - the teller gave him a $3 and a $4 bill.

6. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

While we're at it.....is the Trade Dollar a "coin"? It had a face value of one dollar but was never intended to circulate in the US - it was meant to be accepted in the Orient as silver bullion, backed by the US. It was even demonistized at one time. It was worth more than $1 in silver content here in the US. What is the distinction between the Trade Dollar and the Silver Eagle??

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

hahaha finally Joe went a step too far :D

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

well you have been wasting your time send all your coins to me and ill redeem them for face no need to cry over spilt milk :D

yeah send it to me joe ill take it and GD will pay you for it ;)

lol :D

no no go spend it and report back :D we need to have a lil excitement in our lives :D

9. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

One more interesting question....

Who now has a headache?

I

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

the best way to get out of your headache is to redeem your ASE for $1 from spock that will make it obvious to you that you have a coin

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

US Code 31 Sec 5112 (k) The Secretary may mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time.

But it was also give legal tender status here for amounts up to $5. Was it intended to circulate as money? Probably. Maybe not here but it was intended to circulate. It's a coin.

12. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I agree wholeheartedly. Thay are not "real" coins.

Don't believe me? Try and complete a set from circulation. Heck try and START a set from circulation for that matter.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I wouldn't consider that to be a good criteria. Try collecting Morgan dollars from circulation. You can't. Does that mean Morgan dollars aren't coins?

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes but you could at one time. While with ASE's there has never been and never will be a time when you can collect them from circulation. I think it is a valid criteria.

15. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I am sure you are right about the $5 thing, at least until they demonitized them. But as for the "intended to circulate", that gets sticky. I believe that the intention was to have them "ciculate" in the Orient.. and in that regard, the denomination was not necessarily intended to be the draw as I don't think any Asian country had the US dollar as it's standard form of currency. There were British "Trade Dollars", Spanish 8 Reales, and a slew of other large silver coins in various currencies. It was the silver that made them of interest. Furthermore, the Trade Dollar has it's silver content displayed on thr coin, much as the SE does. I would contend that the TD was really meant to trade as bullion, and in that regard it is remarkably similar to today's SE.

As for being able to collect a set of coins from circulation at one time or another being the criteria for designating something a coin, what about proof-only years? Were those not coins also?

Just more food for thought - I am not trying to bait anyone.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But a denomination is not an important factor as to whether or not something is a coin. Our early half dimes, dimes, quarter, quarter eagle, half eagle, and eagles did not have denominations. Denominations didn't start showing up on British coins until the mid 1800's. Many other countries didn't bother to put denominations on their coins either. So whether or not it has a denomination isn't important. What is is whether or not it was intended to circulateas money. Legal tender isn't important. Our early minor coinage had denominations, but were not legal tender, but they were intended to circulate as money and so they were/are coins. Early British minor coinage had neither denominations or legal tender status, and counterfeiting them wasn't even a felony, but they were intened to irculate as money and were/are coins.

17. green18

If the economy tanks any more, and people lose faith in the paper that BPE keeps spitting out, these "coins" may indeed circulate.....

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Well , after the nuclear holocaust, whats left of them might be used to trade for some wheat and a chicken leg..

19. green18

No Ruben, the 2012 Mayan thing....

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

more detail please

21. green18

It's that end of the world as we know it thing...The Mayan calender supposedly ends at 2012....Help, help.

http://www.survive2012.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted