Silver Eagle Reeded Edges...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by killswitch95, Jan 10, 2020.

1. killswitch95

killswitch95 Member

Hi,

I know ASE's are supposed to have a reeded edge, but is it common for that edge to be somewhat sharp? I bought two from APMEX and the edge of one just seemed rough around the literal angle edge of the coin (From Obverse to Edge or Reverse to Edge, that 90 degree angle) and I was wondering if a 'Rougher than usual' edge can be expected sometimes...

It is a 2012 ASE if that means anything...

I'd post a picture but my phone can't take a picture of that magnification and clearly at the same time...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. It's called finning. Don't cut yourself. It can be sharp.

4. killswitch95

killswitch95 Member

Ah, okay... I've never experienced a coin with that before so I was wondering what it was (Particularly if APMEX sold me a fake because I didn't think the mint would let that slide)...

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You can be confident in your Apmex purchase. They are a first class outfit. I purchase a lot of ASE’s from Apmex and it is not uncommon to see the sharp finned edges on them.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I want to be sure that I understand what you are trying to describe. The link below is a brief description of "Finning".

http://www.error-ref.com/finning/

As explained, it is a "leakage" of coin metal at the juncture where the die and the retaining collar meet. Most often, it is the result of excess striking pressure, but it can also occur if the collar is not seated properly.

However, to be sure that I fully understand what you are asking, is it possible that you mean that the reeds, themselves, feel sharp when you run your finger across them? I ask this because I've often found that the reeds feel sharp to me when I am searching bags or rolls of uncirculated coins that I've purchased from the Mint. ~ Chris

7. killswitch95

killswitch95 Member

No no, not the Reeds, I only have 7 ASE's so far but I've noticed that their reeding isn't so much 'sharp' but crisp, well defined, and strong... As is this particular one as well.

No what I noticed was a distinct edge of metal right where the reeding and obverse (Or reverse can't remember exactly and I'm not holding it right now) meet that is much sharper than normal. And after looking at the link provided and looking at other pictures on other coins yes, what I have is Finning...

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks! ~ Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted