Silver Eagle pricing. I don't understand.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ldhair, Sep 28, 2022.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Is the Proletariat Meeting over, yet? Hot Dogs for sale in the lobby.....

Mr. Flute likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Bread and circuses. Amiright?

;)

charley likes this.
  4. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Don't forget to pick up your hammer and sickle on the way out. Sorry there was no bread for the hot dog....

slackaction1 likes this.
  5. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I respectfully disagree with what is believed unappreciative respect for the efforts of those who have helped others, including you and I.

What I do for others generally has a net negative return, but one positive incident is a mental reward.

I, a ghetto resident who graduated with a ME at 17, was hired by a middle-man from my home because of some new test scores.

I was provided with rides to/from a job as the lone design person, without any applications.

I decided that my attitude may help other associates, also gang-members.

I joined "big-brother", "Junior-Achievement", etc. (other groups), where we developed products, started businesses, and taught less fortunate individuals how to advance in a Democracy.

I believe with a positive attitude, and proper objective team, we all can become middle-people where/when a service is needed.

JMHO

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

You guys do know you can skip the Silver Eagles, which are the worst possible deal in silver right now, and buy 1 Kilo silver bars for $4.50 or so above spot per ounce instead of $19 above spot for Eagles. Still not a great deal compared to premiums back then, but you'll be saving about $14.50 USD on each ounce you buy by sticking to bars.

371187_1.jpg

If/when premiums eventually collapse, and I'm sure they will at some point, you'll be a lot better off and stand a better chance for profit with your Kilo silver bars vs your grossly overpriced Silver Eagles.

History suggests the premiums will collapse and you'll be left holding the bag. Don't be a bag holder. I repeat, don't be a bag holder.

Why_are_Silver_Eagle_Coins_so_expensive_SD_Bullion.png

Despite what you may have heard out there, bag holding is not cool, not when you are the one left holding the bag. No one likes a bag holder.

bag-holding-so.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I wish some of the folks here could stay on topic. Why do you trash others threads?

Jeffjay likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If you can't stay on topic, Stay out of my threads. Start your own thread with your fake legal crap.

imrich, masterswimmer and Jeffjay like this.
  9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

American Silver Eagles :wideyed:
    Such high demand and premium that they are worth their weight in Gold. :woot:
    upload_2022-10-8_20-32-29.png

slackaction1 likes this.
  10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

They are probably at peak premium right now. If I had a couple of hundred, I'd sell some now before the premiums start their inevitable collapse like they did after 2008, and buy up some low premium gold coins like either 1 ounce Kangaroos or Britannias, or some vintage sovereigns.

11. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I apologize for any irritation, and possibly getting "off topic" .
    I'll answer your topic question, to which I'm certain you know the answer!

There isn't any math in establishing a desired commodity selling price, as it fluctuates dependent upon many variables.

If you want the price that Apmex advertises, just list as they do, and see the results.

It may be as theirs', possibly without a sale! LOL

You have the choice to list your sales price, as all others do.

The price will constantly vary dependent upon many factors, and your interest to sell!

I have listings many places, at differing prices for the same commodities, before I find an agreeable buyer/seller price.

Sorry about any irritation!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  12. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

11,700 not to bad, but not for you middlemen who purchased ASE'S for allot less like someone said 7 dollars apiece back in the Middleman days. A 2016 un touch!! gets the juices flowing.. MIDDLEMAN BOX
    [​IMG]
    US Mint Monster Box - Empty

As low as: $14.95

13. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Ya, a lot of these premium/price point pains would be solved if we were all simply allowed to purchase bullion directly from the mints. I understand why the mints wouldn't want to be processing/shipping one or two ounces at a time, but why do they not just implement some minimum purchase requirements?

If a person wants to buy something like a monster box (500 ounces) or more at a time, then why should they have to pay some other person thousands of dollars extra? How hard would it be for the mint to throw different addresses onto those packages and save us all a lot of money?

14. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

The question remains after 3 years....why are the premiums so large and so persistent....without a rise in the underlying price of silver ?

Has anybody seen any articles with quotes from experts and dealers who deal directly with the U.S. Mint ?

15. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY. ALWAYS!

As long as buyers are willing to pay these ridiculous premiums there's no reason for the dealers/sellers to lower the premiums.

Collectively, as a group, we need to reject the premiums as they are by ceasing to purchase silver bullion. When the dealers see their inventories stagnate maybe then they'll get the picture and return to some normalcy.

16. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

But then why doesn't the price of silver RISE if there is all this demand ?
    Agreed...assuming there are silver subsitutes. Which there are, but folks like the liquidity and marketability of ASEs.

17. masterswimmer

From previous posts of yours I know you know the answer. The spot price of silver is all due to the paper trading. Physical silver trading has little effect on the spot price.

All I can tell you is I have, as well as an extremely large number of stackers I know, completely stopped stacking any silver since 2020 when the spot price dropped to $12/oz and the physical price remained at $16/oz. Since then, the premiums have increased even more.

I've got more than enough silver to never buy another ounce and still be satisfied. When spot drops to about $16-$17/oz AND premiums return to $.79-$1.49/oz I'll start stacking again. If it never happens in my lifetime, C’est la vie. I will survive, happy.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There seems to be an underlying assumption that the price of "collectible" or "stackable" silver should closely track the price of industrial or commercial silver. It's been that way AT TIMES in the past, but it's clearly not a universal principle.

Again, as @masterswimmer and others have said, dealers will charge what the market will bear -- and I have the impression that, for all the suffering that recent economic disruptions have caused, there are still plenty of people with more than enough money to support the current premiums.

imrich likes this.
  19. masterswimmer

Make no mistake about having enough money to support the current premiums. I'm weeeell within those price points. My decision to completely stop buying Ag at current premiums is not financial but totally in protest.

I know the dealers were making a good living when premiums were $.79-$1.49/oz or they wouldn't have remained in business selling at those premiums. The fact that they refused to sell at those premiums when spot hit $12/oz 2-1/2 years ago was an indicator they had inventory sitting in their safes they were unwilling to sell. I get it. They didn't want to, nor would I expect them to, sell at a loss. However, when spot soared to $30/oz they didn't resume their prior premium upcharge. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. If those dealers were to go out of business I'd have no sympathy for them. At this stage of the game what they're doing with premiums is nothing short of price gouging. Just because they can.

Marsden and Clawcoins like this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Because people are still buying them. Why lower the premiums if theyre still selling

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, I knew what you meant, and I hope you know what I mean.

There are people who have enough money, or lack enough judgement, that they're happy to write a check for two monster boxes when that amount should buy three. I don't know whether they're in the "buy a new yacht because you're bored with the old one" class, or the "buy NOW from Coin TV because they'll be sold out soon!!!" class.

Marsden likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted