silver bullion investing

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by silver art bars, May 1, 2004.

1. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39486&item=3910507390&rd=1

Check that one out........barely over spot........

Ebay is a funny place...
    I have listed items and put a buy it now price that no one would touch and then they proceed to bid it much higher than the price they could have gotten it for to begin with.

If someones playing bidding wars, dont get involved ......another deal will come along.....
    And dont plan on buying at spot........its not going to happen........if you can get anything at spot plus 10% youre doing great.......

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silver art bars

silver art bars New Member

thank you so much

4. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

Another little item Id like to throw in is......dont stick to just one metal either.....
    I buy whichever is heading down in price the most.

All 3 of the big metals have taken a few hits in the last couple weeks.
    Silver has dropped around 25% of where i was a few weeks ago... Platinum approx 20% and Gold mebe 10 - 12 %......

But they started lower than they are now.......silver was about $4.50 or so a while back and Platinum around $600..........

If platinum production is increased, the price will drop. If demand goes up as is predicted in a few of the reports I have read and production isnt matching it at some point the price may follow the same path as a couple other metals have done in the past and go thru the roof till some sort of equilibrium comes about again.

Ive also been reading that more silver basically exists on paper than does in metal.........which may have helped the latest price jump before it fell.........
    If the demand goes up for silver and the demand cannot be met, you may well be sitting on makin some hefty profits sooner than you would think............OR .........mebe not........... GOD I love this stuff :-D........better than a night out at the horse races :-D

5. silver art bars

So I could sell this to Kito at spot/2-fees? I want to invest in silver to start with. I really want to buy silver but I am afraid that it will go down. What do you recomend to do with $300? Should I spend half at spot price 6.01 and if it goes down again spend the rest or what? I have check around town and there are no deales so I would buy from NWT Mint. I would buy under 50 oz so the fee is .7 per oz.
    thanks

6. silver art bars

Also on Ebay there are never good deals on 10 oz silver and the 100oz silver allways go way over spot.
    thanks

7. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

hey again.........

first off this is the wrong way to look at metals..

"I really want to buy silver but I am afraid that it will go down"

Never fear the price dropping......when it does....spend and buy even more...

One thing i can promise you is after you buy at some point the metal will be lower than when you buy...........if youre looking to make a quick buck hoping the price will go up at some given point after you buy, then metals is not the best place to be...

all youre looking for is to buy as close to spot at possible.......and no one is going to give silver to you at that price......
    Look for Spot +10% or so........thats a great price for those of us not spending 100k at a time....

if the price now is $6........then try to get it at no more than $6.60 an oz or so.....

I really dont know what more to add to all this.

say you buy 100 oz now at $6.
    Then the price drops next month to $5. dont panic, buy another 100 oz.
    Then lets say the market really dumps and goes to $4oz......
    Startin to flip about it right?......wrong......this time buy 200+ oz if you can get the cash...

If buy some act of God it went close to $3oz Id sell my home and put every dime of it into it...but thats just me....

heres whats gonna happen........at some point the price is going to hit $6 again and all that silver you paid $4 is now worth more than you paid.....
    As you said......ebay folks are always going OVER spot right.......so now you got a crap load of silver worth at least what you paid for it and mebe even make you a buck.

The only way you can lose is by buying those crappy 1oz pieces......avoid them........dont even look at them........theyre nothing but a novelty item as far as silver goes.

How much and how often can you invest?

If its $300 a month or so then Id buy whatever you can with that amount each month.

when I wouldnt buy silver is if the price goes back up over $8..........Id look at some nice stocks or something

8. silver art bars

What is the min. amount of $ you would spend a month on silver? Do you recomend buying silver 50 oz a time? Do you ever get good deales on Ebay?
    thanks

9. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

As long as youre only paying about 10% over spot ......any amount is fine......NO 1 ozers :-D

50 to 100 oz BAR at a time is good.

I get great deals on Ebay..........but then........I never sleep :-D

10. jimmy_goodfella

jimmy_goodfella New Member

trust me silver has reached its bottom

if it drops anymore than 10 cents as it stands now in the next 3 months
    i owe you a shiny new eagle.

i Think your maybe better off buying into a pool account a kitco or something, or perhps your intention is to sell these art bars at online auctions perhaps?.

And people shouldnt knock that if you have a bit of flair for selling and a good camera you can make more off a 1 oz silver art bar than you can off a kugger.

Your best bet if this is what your going to do is buy job lots of mixed ones not mint designs like nwt, who by the way are decent in price.But you can pick up mixed 1oz art bars often for little more than spot if your not to fussy about the design and take as served.Lots of dealers sell the remnants off in job lots.10 oz bars are tricky as opposed to 1oz which are just for retail its hard to get a customer to part with 80-90 dollars for what to them is just a little novelty.And you get into more bullion buyers with 10 oz and bullion buyers dont wanna pay anymore than they have too.So i would stick with a mixed bag of 100 1 oz art bars doing it this way you will also often find a customer that buys one will buy a few more too.where as if there all the same you lose out on that repeat buisness.

jimmy

11. jimmy_goodfella

GDJMSP

sorry i forgot to mention.

The purchase of PM has very little to do with the price movements, after all most PM transactions dont even register on the antenna.What cause the movements is the dirivitive markets and manipulation of the price by mostly about 10-12 main floor dealers.A lot of people have said and me included that the reason for this drop in the price of silver was soley because of this.When you have about 10-12 delaers covering about 70% of all contracts the can run it long or short to there benifit.For instance if you want to buy in short then sell say 100 mill of long till the price drops while buying small amounts of short contracts thus deflate the price, then you can wack in with 5 billion and buy a lot of long wallahhh there you have it you took a loss on 100 mill to make prob a profit of 400 mill on yer 5 billion.This is what is happening in the metal markets today.Though there is one thing that realy scares them and thats if stocks realy do start drying up and all the contracts demand physical possetion of there PM.Then they have got big trobles and the price will run to the moon and bankrupt the lot of them.And this dont need a large swing in demand for physical to happen because there dealing contracts daily that are running at about 30 times the actual amount of physical on silver there is in the world.So if say 10% only demanded delivery there looking at a major deficiet.Personaly i see this happening in the not to distant future though the band of thiefs playing this game will probably wriggle there way outta it somehow.

jimmy

12. silver art bars

Great deals on silver? My coin shop said Monday that when the price was 6.01 an oz they would sell me 30 oz of silver at 210. Is that good?
    thanks

13. silver art bars

14. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

the JM and the Engelhard are more widely known and i notice dealers usually do get a little higher priemium on them.....
    BUT its been my experience that when buying them back they dont care if they have the presidential seal on them.......theyre going to pay whatever theyre currently giving for boullion.

Something else I noticed when i sold.
    Allens gave my quite a bit more for my 100 bars than for 10 of my 10 oz bars....
    Not quite sure their thinking in this as the premiums on 10 oz seems to be higher than when i buy 100 oz bars....

Something else......everyone has their own way of doing things.........their own way in looking at the market......their own investing plan.

All wanted to do was give you a jump start and help you avoid some of the pitfalls that I face.

I dont mean to disagree with folks here, but its going to happen, i guess.

With that Id again like to tell you to avoid 1 0zer like the bubonic plague. unless of course youre becoming a dealer and want to sell them at $15 a pop.......

And.....Pool Accounts........again....plague carrier in my opinion........when the crap hits the fan at some point and folks with contracts start cashin in and the world finds out theres way more silver on paper than physical metal.......which is going to be more valuable to you......a contract with kitco or a trunk full of 100 ozers?

This has been my opinion .....
    No animals were harmed in the making of this opinion :-D

15. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

Also.........the 100 ozer for $628...Id buy a truckload of them at that price

16. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Some refiners are able to extract a premium from the marketplace because of their reputation and their product. Basically, the silver content can all be the same, but an Englehard bar will bring more value for the same weight as a bar that doesn't have a specific manufacturer identified.

Cris

17. silver art bars

Is the bullion direct a good website?
    thanks

18. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

now that I cant tell you ..........you may check the BBB or something.

19. jimmy_goodfella

williamtipton i agree on pool accounts for some reson i just dont trust them, im always thinking there gonna skip town or gamble my PM away.Or maybe not even have the darn stuff at all.

siver art bar fella :- its quite simple realy you buy the cheapest silver you can in any form that has the smallest over spot, and the you should expect as a minimum to get back a max of 5% under spot when you sell.

That is the spread just like in any market whenever its shares or gold or bonds or whatever.The idea is to find the smallest spread with the product you feel will increase in value.However i wouldnt sell my gold bars to a dealer like kitco as i could realise more selling on the likes of ebay for it even with the sell costs taken out.infact if you buy right you can eliminate the spread alltogether, try to buy like a dealer like you are buying to sell tomorrow not hold for 2 years.I think thats best advice i can give you.your spread maximum should only be the cost to sell it again for the same price.

Ive been collecting gold sovereigns for few years now and have a sizeable chunk of then now about 400 full and 150 halfves.And i can honestly say i never payed more than 60 pound each for them and there gold content alone is worth 55 pounds.and they sell for a min of 65 now and rising.

Personaly my reason for buying them is they not only have bullion value but collector value too and every now and then you pick up one worth 3 times gold value or so for just bullion if you know what to buy.I never understand people that just buy kuggers or eagles there often missing out on half the potential profit.

20. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

Yeah, we certainly have differnt approaches.....
    I keep my boullion investing and like the coin collecting totally separate.

I started collecting coins bcause i like them......the second i see them as valuable Ill lose interest in collecting altegether and just be seeing the dollar value attached.
    Of course i know the approximate value of my collection so far, but Ive been staying away from any gold coins intentionally so I dont mentally connect them with my boullion.

Silver coins are great cause the silver value in them is so small.......there very little chance that the silver content in the 1600 3 Krueger I recently bought will ever be worth more than what its worth just as a collectable.

Funny things with coins or any collectable, take away the buyers, say due to hard financial times, and the coin becomes virtually worthless...
    I collect coins that are worth very little..........

I mean, the most Ive paid so far was about $15 for a 1693 Saxony 1/12 thaler........so as a collectable its worth 3 times what i paid for it.....

But I dont want to part with my coins in hard times.........Id rather have a truckload of silver and Platinum bars to sell...

21. jimmy_goodfella

williamtipton

yeah i agree i love the sovereigns there such an intresting coin,there mostly little percentage over bullion value lot less tha kuggers or eagles.

and i know i would rather have that history in my hand and with a lower premium on the common dates there so much nicer to have as bullion.

i prefer that 100 year old bullion coin with lower premium than any of the others anyday,this is why its such a great coin to collect it actually lower premium than bars or new gold coins and with that added history i dont believe it can be beat.

I also believe this aint gonna last for ever theve obviously got a lot more room to rise in price than the modern coins.i get all excited when i pull them out and look at them,guess part of that is because ive been poor most of my life too.

Draft saved Draft deleted