Silver back into coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Digenes, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

Ok this is more than likely a really stupid question, but why couldn't the US start minting its coinage with silver in them again. I understand that the price of silver is high, and that more than likely congress would have to change a few regulations like the standard price that silver is inventoried at, I think it is some stupid prise like 4.00oz. But wouldn't minting our coinage with silver in it again boost the value of our currency at all, or would it just lead to hoarding and melting of coins?

Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

Personally.... I would hoard so much GD change my house would be sinking into the ground. Every paycheck would get cashed in what ever had the best % of silver :mouth:

4. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i don't think the mint will produce silver coins for general circulation. the mint make a lot of money by producing collector's silver coins. like modern commemorative and American eagle.

5. Argento

Argento Perplexed

The problems this creates are too numerous to list. The biggest would be to think of how much money would have to be pulled from circulation. If quarters contain silver then there has to be enough silver to cover every dollar in existence which, of course, there isn't. To do so would cause instant, destabilizing deflation the likes of which would no doubt cause large-scale wars.

And that's just the first problem!

6. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

Look up "Gresham's Law"

As long as the value is "a quarter" as far as the corner store and the vending machine are concerned, people will spend the clad stuff and keep the silver.

7. cphine

cphine Junior Member

Info Sponge,
    You beat me to it!
    I read the question and immediately went to the handy dandy Wikipedia to grab a more "formal" definition of Gresham's law than I could come up with off the top of my head. I come back to post it, and, well, you beat me. :)

I'll post it anyway for community knowledge....

Gresham's law states that any circulating currency consisting of both "good" and "bad" money (both forms required to be accepted at equal value under legal tender law) quickly becomes dominated by the "bad" money. This is because people spending money will hand over the "bad" coins rather than the "good" ones, keeping the "good" ones for themselves. Legal tender laws act as a form of price control. In such a case, the artificially overvalued money is preferred in exchange, because people prefer to save rather than exchange the artificially demoted one (which they actually value higher).
    As far along the fiat money path we are on, it would probably take a complete SHTF situation before we ever revert back to money that's actually worth something...and that's after the worst is over and we're rebuilding.

Or...ohhh!...how about a reverse of the 1933 gold confiscation? Soldiers could come break down our doors searching for copper nickel coins, offering the new silver ones in a face value exchange. :)

8. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

they do mint silver coins at this time gold ones too

9. cphine

cphine Junior Member

Sure, they mint silver and gold coins now, but here's a case in point. When's the last time someone gave you a dollar change as a Silver Eagle? Bad money forces out good...Gresham's Law.
    They put face values on them so they can be considered coins and up the premium price compared to regular bullion rounds. But when even the mint sells their dollar coins for spot plus premium, it can hardly be assumed they are for circulation as face value. :)

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It won't happen, but it could. Google Hugo Salinas Price. He has been pushing for the remonitization of silver in Mexico, and has clearly spelled out how this could be accomplished despite all the naysayers' objections. People have been educated in this country in recent decades to believe that the way things are is the only way they could possibly be. That's why so many folks see things such as the reintroduction of silver coinage as all but impossible. Of course, the folks who teach that this is impossible have another agenda of their own, but that's another story for a different forum.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That part that is impossible would be for the silver dollar to have a dollar's worth of silver in it. But you go right ahead and tell me how it is possible Cloud. You tell me how, when the value of silver changes by the minute, that any given denomination of coin can always have the same dollar amount of silver in it ? Now this isn't an opinion, it a fact - it couldn't. Not unless the value of silver were to remain static.

Now I'll ask you another question, what possible purpose would it serve for our currency to have silver in it ? Would it make it more valuable ? No, again, it couldn't. For the purpose of money, our coins in this instance, is for it to circulate and to be used as money. And if the value of that money ever exceeds it's face value - then it isn't money any more. It becomes bullion and is removed from circulation.

So go ahead, you tell me how it is possible. And don't just say that so and so says it can be done. I have explained to you how it can't be done. Now you tell me how it can be done.

12. Cloudsweeper99

I gave you the lead to the person who has figured this out and explained it in detail. The information is available to anyone who wishes to research it and I'm not going to cut and paste long passages. It resolves all of your issues. Of course, it is simple to deny that something is possible, and I know that no amount of evidence will change your mind. The way things are is the only way they can possibly be, right? People frequently believe things are impossible when what they really mean is that THEY don't know how it could be done. I know that silver and gold will never be used as money. This isnt' the same as denying that they can be used. But I've also noticed that in some threads you say that it is impossible to have silver used as money because there is so little of it, and in other threads you claim that silver prices can't rise a lot because there is so much of it.

13. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

If the US is hit by hyper-inflation as feared by some the coins are fairly safe. The metals used in producing our coinage will increase in value accordingly. Of course you fiat dollars can always be converted to coins. The US five cent coin (nickel) is already a fairly safe store.

14. Cloudsweeper99

Yes, that's a good observation. I've also read that in some countries that experienced hyperinflation and had to knock a couple of zeros off their currency, they didn't bother to revalue and reissue the coinage because it would be too costly for the amounts involved. So coins might turn out to be preferable to paper bills as a store of value for multiple reasons even if they are made from base metals.

15. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

You'll need to provide a link to where he does this. It doesn't happen at any sites on the first two pages of Google hits on his name!

16. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I like the idea of small, high denomination coins with "some" PM content...like $5, $10, and $20 coins. Silver coins are much cleaner (from a "germs" perspective) than paper money.

17. Wheaties fan

Wheaties fan Junior Member

according to the gold commicial i just seen.they said all the silver mined in the last 200 years is gone and the mines have run out..THIS IS FROM TV COMMICIAL NOT ME...

18. Cloudsweeper99

19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I posted some (what I thought were) interesting PM supply/demand charts I found on KITCO.com on this thread...

http://www.cointalk.com/t73119/

It doesn't look like silver mining is slowing down any based on those charts. But...Hey!...they can't say it in TV if it isn't true...right?

20. GDJMSP

No that is not what I say. And if you think it is then you need to read more carefully.

What I have said is that it is impossible for the money of the world to be backed by gold and/or silver because there is not enough gold & silver in existence to back all of the currencies of the world. There is not even enough to back the currency of the USA by itself.

Now, if you still don't understand that, let me put it another way. I'm not going to look up the exact numbers, but use this as an example. Let's say that in all denominations of coins and bills now in circulation that there is a trillion dollars worth. That is one thousand billions. The problem is there is only about a hundred billion in gold & silver.

So how do you back currency with gold & silver when ypou only have a fraction of the amount needed to back that currency ?

Now, as for your other comment regarding the price of silver. What I continue to say is that silver is not going to outpace the price of gold. That both metals will continue to rise and/or fall in concert. In other words, if one goes up, they both go up. If one comes down, they both come down.

You on the other hand are always saying that silver is the preferable metal to invest in because there is so little of it in inventory. And that because there is so little in inventory that silver will increase in value faster than other precious metals.

What I counter that with is that there is plenty of silver out there to be had for the asking. They mine 12 times as much silver as they do gold, and always have. And they can mine more any time they want. There is no shortage of silver as you seem to always imply.

Now those two things are completely and totally different from each other and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. And you know it. 'Course you just don't like to admit that.

21. GDJMSP

Shows you how much you can believe the TV. More than half of all the silver mined throughout all of recorded history has been mined in the past 70 years. And silver production in total amounts per year has never been higher than it is today.

Draft saved Draft deleted