Silver American Eagles Less than Rounds!!!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Must admit I didn't read your initial posting, so forgive me if I say something that was covered there, but there is one more possibility, 90% silver. By that I mean pre-1965 dimes, quarters, halves and even some dollars. These sell at a lower premium than any of what you have mentioned and, if you buy in bulk, there is a possibility of finding something of numismatic value, not to mention that old coins are "cool".

Gilbert, Garlicus and Bman33 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

And if you EVER find EVEN ONE article involving silver or gold, and it DOESN'T have an identifiable bias, you're not looking hard enough. Most, the VAST majority, of the articles are just thinly veiled marketing hype.

Keep asking yourself one question over and over - if my fiat currency is so doomed, and only precious metals are worth anything, why is this company writing the article so willing to give me the good stuff and take the bad stuff off my hands?

Could it be they see me as an easy mark based on mistrusting the current government? Do you really think the relatively high number of fraud indictments in metals business is mere happenstance?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    josh's coins and Bman33 like this.
  4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information.

Awesome information! I didn't think about that at all (Why do these companies want my fiat currency?). You just saved me a ton of time and money. I am not one who puts a lot into end of civilization scenarios.

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

The author gives the example of trading silver for items you might need, such as a gallon of gas or canned food. In this case pre-1965 US 90% coins would be the obvious choice because of size and recognition factor. A pre-1965 silver dime could quite possibly be better in a barter situation than silver eagles or generic rounds. Think about it. What percentage of the population could recognize a silver eagle, or for that matter, a generic round? As for bars, I remember back in the late 1970's a local coin shop displaying a 100 ounce bar that the owner had unwisely purchased. He drilled the bar as an afterthought and tested the winding, finding that the bar was silver plated. But if I had to choose between silver eagles and generic rounds, my choice would be eagles, regardless of the premium difference between the two.

Bman33 likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

All of that presupposes an economic collapse less likely than hitting Powerball.

Bman33 likes this.
  7. Gilbert

You have got to be one of the smartest people here Kurt. I'm surprised Janet hasn't offered you a job. :rolleyes:

Bman33 likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

What makes you think she hasn't?

Bman33 likes this.
  9. Gilbert

Wild guess.;)

Bman33 likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

I feel I am fully qualified to be the "keep the Barbarians at bay" security guard out front. :hilarious: But in all seriousness, I have never understood this Federal Reserve skeptic meme that has infected this country. I find it baffling.

Bman33 likes this.
  11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have decided to not buy bullion for awhile based off of what I learned in this thread. Thank you all. I am interested in the 90% stuff right now. I have been doing some coin role hunting and so far nothing. I will keep trying.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

But you could always cut those ASE's into halves, quarters and pieces of eight...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bman33 likes this.
  13. Gilbert

How true!

Bman33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted