Silly or smart to store bullion in Air Tites?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Jan 28, 2017.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Do you feel it is an unnecessary added expense to store your Silver Maple Leafs in Air Tites, or do you think it's a wise minimal investment to preserve their slight premium?

Cost per airtite: 50-60 cents
    Premium over spot paid per Maple Leaf: $1.75-$2.10
    Future premium gained in reselling Maple Leaf: $0-?

This is a tough decision, because on the one hand they are JUST bullion coins. On the other hand, they are the most gorgeous bullion coin produced, and they command a slight premium. And, they unfortunately have a tendency to milk spot, but an airtite can decrease these odds. Plus, with Air Tites, you can fondle your precious as often as you like without the risk of finger prints or hand oils messing with your bullion's beauty.

Do you think this is a smart or silly use of money to buy air tites for bullion coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Your coins, your decision. I would say that you do not want them in an environment that will seriously damage the surfaces. I put my rounds in air-tites but that's just what I choose to do. PVC free plastic tubes sealed, 2x2's, stacked in a dry, temperature controlled space, air-tites are all good options in my opinion.

upload_2017-1-28_10-13-40.png

4. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I place all my bullion coins in Air-Tites

stoster38 likes this.
  5. myownprivy

Does anyone know of a cheaper, bulk way to purchase airtites?

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

7. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

In quantities of 50 I just saw them as cheep as .34 cents on ebay with free shipping.

8. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

I use them, for now, not because I care about the air getting to them, all that's gonna do is tone it ;) silver is silver and if they are not for a collection or have some sort of numismatic value, but simply a bullion investment to sell later then I say its a waste of money, but I use them because I'm OCD and a neat freak and I like uniformity. But once I get enough coins im switching to tubes anyway.

9. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Active Member

I use vinyl coin flips and tape them shut seems to work. Don't look the best but it's cheap

10. myownprivy

I just put a bunch of my bullion Silver Maples into Air Tites. Oooooh, they're so pretty. I am definitely moving forward with this plan.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

You can get tubes to store the airtite coin too. I got one for 20 ASE's that I had in airtites. Got them from Provident.

12. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I also put all of my bullion in Air-Tites, except for those that arrive in sealed mint packages. They seem safe and snug in those little things, though apparently their name isn't exactly accurate - I've heard that they're not actually completely air tight, but I'd be curious if others have heard differently.

I buy mine from Wizard Coin supply, which seems cheaper than other distributors (at least the ones I've found).

This is probably no longer a concern, but years ago I spoke with Air-Tite on the phone (I was submitting an order before internet ordering became ubiquitous) and they told me that at one time the middle ring was not made of a completely inert material, but that it was since fixed. Seeing that this happened well over 20 years ago, I'm thinking that any Air-Tites now on the market no longer carry any risk. In any case, this is why I always make sure to buy brand new Air-Tites, at least for the ones with the center ring.

13. myownprivy

To your last point, that's an interesting concern. It's very easy to find used air tites at coin shops for 10 cents or a 25 cents, but I always skip them due to being scratched up or scuffy.

14. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I use air-tites on my bullion. I usually buy from JPs Corner. If you buy them in bulk you can get a decent price.

15. myownprivy

Well, just discovered that every one of my 2015 Silver Maple Leafs have already started milk spotting. Perhaps putting my 2016s and 2017s in airtites right now will prevent them from doing the same.

I need to remind myself it's just bullion.

16. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I know how you feel. Even though it's just bullion I hate seeing milk spots too!! [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

because of the milk spotting on Maples I go with Rounds which cost less and ASE's which are not known for milk spotting.

18. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I found a 14 I did not know I had in a airtite when I cleaned the big safe it looked as good as the day I got it.

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Unless you are buying them for numismatic reasons then it seems silly to me. An ounce of silver is an ounce of silver, whether tarnished or not, and will sell that way as bullion. On the other hand, if you want sell them at a premium as a numismatic item then by all means put them in Airtites. That only seems reasonable for proofs or other special issues.

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I store my AGEs in Air Tites. I don't have them for numismatic reasons, but it doesn't hurt to keep them out of the elements.

21. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

I use air-tites and tube-tites, because I like to keep nice things looking nice. Although most of my government coins are in tubes from the mint, and I don't bother taking those out. Toning isn't an issue for most folks, but scratches can bring down your premium in some cases. I have circulated 90% US silver that isn't capsuled if I want to handle some coins.

With Royal Canadian Mint coins it's a particularly good idea to either never open the tube or else to capsule them as soon as you do, since they are notorious for milk spots which only appear when exposed to humidity.

grace1760 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted