Show us your interesting but ugly coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Born ugly, but illustrate the shoddy workmanship of the Rome mint under Gallienus, which we old-timers here at CT joke is due to "Kevin in quality control."

They are interesting because they illustrate the technical aspects of coin production, from the sprue removed from the cast flans to the size of the reverse dies relative to the coins. I purchased them not in spite of how poorly they were manufactured, but BECAUSE of how poorly they were manufactured.

Gallienus PAX off center.jpg
    Gallienus PAX flan chip.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Here is a truly ugly, but interesting coin, I just bought. The coin is a quarter-siliqua of the Gothic kingdom. The coin was minted shortly after the death of Theoderic the Great on 30.08.526. Theoderic had appointed his grandson Athalaric as his successor. Athalaric was only 10 years old at the time. For the Gothic nobles a king had to be battle proven and could thus not be a child. Hence, the very first issue of coins for Athalaric were minted without the title REX (or more commonly RIX) for king. So while Gothic coins are generally quite scarce, this one is particularly rare, but unfortunately very ugly.

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 19.45.46.png

4. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

upload_2021-3-2_19-18-2.png
    Athens New Style Tetradrachm c145/4 BC
    Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
    16.70 gm 34.8mm Thompson issue 20
    Thompson catalogue : Obs 160 : Rev NEW
    Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
    Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora on which
    month mark Γ : LF control mark ΣΦΑΙ
    2 magistrates : ΠΑΔΩ ΛΥΣΙΑ
    RF symbol :Forepart of Bridled Horse
    All within a surrounding olive wreath

Worn, battered double struck. Bought for less than £100 on ebay in 2013 in the good ol' days. From the same hoard as the Apollo I showed yesterday,both were covered with a black-blue patina -then I cleaned it!
    This is one of 2 NewStyles that have a partial monogram ΠΑΔΩ, the other is on Palm behind Owl. It has a 4 lettered 2nd control ΣΦΑΙ.

5. Zebucatt

Zebucatt Well-Known Member

First I want to thank you guys for having me. New to posting so bare with me. So. I have a couple ughs I would like to share. The first is also the very first coin I ever bought and much to my wife's dismay started the sickness. Lol anyway,

Issue of Caligula in honor of Nero and Drusus
    40-41ad 28mm, 11.8g Brass dupondius PicsArt_03-02-03.14.23.jpg PicsArt_03-02-03.13.22.jpg
    Obv: NERO ET DRVSVS CAESARES
    Nero and Drusus on Horseback galloping
    Rev: C CEASAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG PM TR P IIII P P
    around large SC. RIC 49 BMCRE 70
    Its rough but I will always love it.

Second is:
    Julia Domna Brass dupondius 25mm, 11.8g 198ad
    Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA
    Rev: HILARITAS SC
    Hilarious standing left, holding long palm and cornucopia. RIC 877 BMCRE 312 CSS 315
    This one i have no words for. Lol I love it like the first girl who breaks your heart. Lol. PicsArt_03-02-03.07.31.jpg PicsArt_03-02-03.08.18.jpg

Alegandron, ambr0zie, DonnaML and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted