Show off some bullion !!!!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Chiefbullsit, May 24, 2009.

1. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I decided to get another 1 ounce pamp gold bar (impulse buy). I will get some updated photos of my hord when the wife isnt looking!! (I WANT TO LIVE)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Here's my silver, not including my coinage

[​IMG]

4. rmorello

rmorello New Member

Prooflike 2009 Saint Gaudens

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I have misplaced this post. I was a coin collector as a youth, returned to the ranks of coin collecting by the appearance of some of my favorite designs being used on coins like the Gold Buffalos, Walking Liberty Silver Eagles and of course the Saint Guadens.
    I always dreamed of having a Saint Gaudens High-Relief but couldn't afford an original, so the new Saint Gaudens High-Relief $20 gold eagle was a decent compromise. I bought one immediately and got in on the Early Release slabs. Then when the proof-like specimens were discovered I had to have one. And then another.
    Bob

Attached Files:

5. rodzm

rodzm Ag Addict

Just a closeup of some of my stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Those big silver bars are delicious!

7. rodzm

rodzm Ag Addict

Yes they are, especially the poured loaves. I actually got them ay a good price. I think I paid $150 each.

8. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Every year I get 2 AME proof l was lucky last year and go to PR-70's

:hail:1 more thing the 2009-W Buffalo will only be a proof that what Coin World has reported

Attached Files:

10. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

NICE COIN! I wish I could find one of those graded by PCGS at a 70! I would buy in a heartbeat. For some reason PCGS doesn't seem to grade those in 70s I wish I knew why?

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

It help keep up there Image of the hardest TPG out!

Last 3-4 year there is a few MS-70 & only a hand full of PR-70

12. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

British sovereign...

[​IMG]

13. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I started out going for a full set of these, but they are starting to really eat into my coin budget!!! Still like them though and I guess I see them as more than just bullion in the long run give the very low mintages on the last few releases.

[​IMG]

14. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

NICE COLLECTION! I bet it will be hard for you to sell those when the time comes

15. chridular

chridular Member

This is a nice looking coin! I know absolutely nothing about the British Sovereign, but want to learn more and hopefully make a few purchases. :D

16. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

This is how I explain it. Say a person buys 10oz in gold in coins now at @ $950.00 in Fed Reserve Notes…10 x 950 = $9500.00 and this person stores them in a home safe. And another person deposits $9500.00 in FRN’s into a savings account at his local bank. Both are expecting to hold these long term. Let’s say for the sake of argument that both persons are homeowners who bought their homes at the same time at about the same price with the same money down with a fixed mortgage rate at 6% and both hold relatively safe jobs with about the same pay…let’s say $50,000.00 per year. Both have about the same bills to pay each month. Let’s say that after 10 years gold is at $3000.00 per ounce value in FRN’s and the savings account holder receives 1% per year interest in his savings account. The person who bought gold would have an investment worth $30,000.00 while the savings account holder would have an investment worth $10493.76. Now let’s say that at this time both persons lost their jobs an needed their investments to live on until they found employment again. Which persons investment situation would you rather be in? Both are valued in FRN’s but the gold investors situation is far preferable to the savings account holder. You could even recalculate this scenario using gold price statistics from the last ten years and stock market averages for the last ten years and the older of gold comes out ahead. Gold is a storage of VALUE! While FRN’s will reflect a diminishment of value through inflation the value of gold will rise to reflect it’s value against inflation. This is why you receive interest or dividends when holding investments in paper long term…you have to have some reason or reward (or bribe some would say) to park your investment without it losing it’s value. Gold pays no interest or dividends because it owes nothing. It is a safe store of VALUE against fiat currencies!!

17. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Thanks Yankee. Acutally, I think this part of my collection will by far be the easiest to sell, I just may have to take a loss on it if I need to sell quickly.

Since I purchased the 22 coins at Mint issue prices I have about $11,500 into them, give or take a couple hundred. I know that I could have them sold today at 97% of spot at my local B&M if I sold them for melt, so that would get me just under $10,000. I couldn't do that with most of the rest of my collection if I had to do so.

Also, I know that I can get better than melt on many of them (especially the 2008s) since they were sold by the Mint at much higher premiums (around $600 per coin) and there aren't as many around as there are of the 2007 spouse coins.

But you may be right, long term this series might be one of those that trades for near melt like many of the other modern gold commemoratives. However, several of the coins already have mintages less than 10,000 and a few are under 5,000. All modern gold commemoratives with mintages that low trade at premiums to melt prices.

I started with this series since I wanted to buy gold anyway. Thought this would be more fun than just collecting the boring gold Eagles that everyone has. Like I said, my downside will always be limited to the price of gold but I think this series has much more upside potential than other forms of U.S. bullion. Nevertheless, I'm probably going to be selling them off soon (except for my extra Liberty designs) in order to buy some real coins :p Just too expensive of a set to keep up with now that the Mint premiums are fixed at around 35% over spot or so.

18. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Low mintage numbers on collecting type coins are something to look at when buying. I just got a 2006W half ounce eagle PCGS graded 69 for a good price. The 2006 has a very low mintage number for a eagle. I got the slabbed coin for melt cost so I am sure down the road I will at least get my money back. I cant get the PCGS population numbers on this coin without paying for them but with the mintage numbers so low on this coin I am pretty sure they are low too.

19. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Must have lots of fingerprints! :D
    BIG BAR...

20. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I agree with you when it comes to these being worth more then bullion in the long run :)
    Low mintages, low survival rate on some of them.
    Just truly amazing coins IMO

21. krispy

krispy krispy

LOL! Totally!

Draft saved Draft deleted