Should You Buy Gold or Silver?? Coin Shop Owner's Advice!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Dec 2, 2021.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, let's not. :banghead:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

Frank Lloyd Wright dropped out of UW-Madison after one year.

Buckminster Fuller got expelled from Harvard. TWICE.

Some people become enormously successful despite their choices. You can make it to the top by a lot of different paths. Drive and talent certainly help, but there are plenty of people with drive and talent living on the streets. Really big success always depends at least a little bit on luck, and so does really big failure.

Even leaving off the extremes, I know there are plenty of people who work a lot harder than me for a fraction of the rewards I get. And I strongly suspect that some of the folks who are pulling down millions don't work as hard as I do.

MIGuy, mynamespat and FryDaddyJr like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Most aren't drop-outs and running a company that employs hundreds of thousands of people and transforms society and business is a bit more relevant than slam-dunking a basketball.

Those guys are building a business and creating wealth. The atheletes are just playing a game.

5. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

bullcrap. they make merchandisers, advertisers, team owners, stadium owners and many more rich. my, don't you look foolish.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Other way around FD.

It's the merchandisers, advertisers, team owners and stadium owners that are making the athletes rich. Without them fronting the money to give the athletes an audience, they've got no market to perform for.

7. -jeffB

I'm probably one of the least sports-following people on here, but professional athletes are entertainers.

The further we move away from a subsistence economy, where most people have to work all their waking hours just to keep from starving or freezing, the more we need things to occupy the rest of their hours. And apparently, for most people, watching sports or listening to pop music is better than (say) learning new things or practicing skills.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. -jeffB

Not sure I can buy this. Merchandisers, advertisers, team owners and stadium owners aren't philanthropists just looking to support hard-working athletes. They're in it for their own benefit, and without the athletes, those benefits go away. It's a symbiosis, even if one side or another wants to view it as parasitism.

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

You're overlooking the fact that, if there's reason enough to pass over a particular athlete . . . be it attitude, pay, consistency of play, public persona, other . . . they will just go further down their list of available athletes and give the job to the next preferred candidate, just like a manufacturer selecting from a pool of job applicants.

Again . . . without the ability to connect one's talent with the spending audience the athlete will not make that kind of money.

ldhair likes this.
  10. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I can only speak from my experience as a college graduated engineer in 1958. An associate of the teen age as mine with a union electrician father received a job paying a greater wage than mine.

My Social Services City Manager daughter with her MBA, after 25 years employment earns less than that same peer of mine would make today.

I question your stated FACTS?, and can publish documented sources for my facts, CAN YOU?

Regardless, we all can probably publish believed inequities, but I don't know of any country having greater "opportunities" than ours.

We Are Blessed!

JMHO

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The atheletes are creating wealth and countless jobs as from from their agents, to their trainers, coaches, front offices, everyone employed by the organization, everyone employed at the stadium, tv crews etc. You can argue about how the NBA has gone to crap since its just threepointers and no one cares anymore especially being a mouth piece for China, but you cant deny that they're creating wealth

Etcherman and FryDaddyJr like this.
  12. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

edit: repetitive deleted

I'm not sure if you have me mixed up with another poster from above, or what facts you want me to provide. It is the creators of those companies themselves who dropped out of college and proceeded to earn billions of dollars: Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Taylor, and Larry Ellison respectively.

I am not personally of the opinion that a college degree is a a requirement for greatness, nor is it a condemnation to failure to not obtain one. It can be a useful tool which helps open doors in life.

I was simply not certain why Goldfinger decided to attack basketball players since some of them can succeed without an extended education (besides the fact that many professional athletes do get their degrees before going pro). I can only imagine there is a bit of hidden bias lying latent. There are plenty of examples of people from all walks of life, in a variety of professions, who are extremely successful without completing college. There are plenty of people with college degrees who fail for whatever reasons be it.

Becoming a professional athlete not only takes a tremendous amount of natural talent, it requires more dedication than the average person is willing to commit. I really don't see much difference between them and business founders. They all have made tremendous sacrifices directing all their energy towards one specific goal which may never come to fruition. For every top level professional athlete there are dozens of modestly paid professionals, and far more who never get to the big game at all.

MIGuy and Cinco71 like this.
  13. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Well Done! Very Clever! I stand corrected, and agree with all that you've stated, but I believe generally they were the employers, without them the company would have been less notable.

Please continue your excellent objective performance. A+ submission!

JMHO

mynamespat likes this.
  14. baseball21

This couldnt be further from the truth. Basketball players can get drafted after 1 year and never have to set foot in a classroom if you know you're getting drafted. NFL players can at three years and the ones that go pro almost never actually get their degrees unless they want to later on. Almost no one in the NFL or NBA has a degree unless its honorary. Those two sports have atrocious graduating rates in college

Baseball and hockey are a bit different. Hockey you can get as you can get drafted early and play in college instead of riding buses in the minors and baseball if you go to a college other than a JUCO you have to stay for 3 years and some will finish up their degree in the off season being so close.

The notion though that many get their degree first just simply isn't true though. If you're getting your degree first it's because you werent drafted or were drafted so low you wanted the extra year to try and move up in the draft.

Now that college athletes can be paid with the NIL that might change though. There's no reason to leave college if you're making more money there then you would in the draft. That said it doesnt mean they'd actually be going to class. Tutors employed by the athletic department do the vast majority of the work for football and basketball players and get fired if the talent doesnt stay eligible

15. mynamespat

According to some quick google-fu approximately 50% of NFL players and 20% of NBA players hold college degrees. Baseball is actually the most abysmal with only ~5%.

edit: and that was according to a 2009 study, so things are of course liable to change.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    MIGuy likes this.
  16. baseball21

Those numbers are inaccurate. First the statement was that they get their bedgrees BEFORE going pro. Honorary degrees for the NFL and NBA mean nothing when you get it later on. Those two are also the sports where tutors do the work. Are there guys there with legitimate degrees sure, are they anywhere close to the reported number absolutely not. Anyone that played D1 sports knows exactly what is going on, they arent there for college they're there to go pro and the guys that will be pros are only doing their own work if they want too. You could really even break it down further with the absurdity of the majors that those "degrees" are in.

As far as baseball goes, its by far and away the most international worldwide US sport (second overall to soccer) with players from over 50 different countries so of course they aren't going to have degrees. The statement was for US born players only

The point was which you were way off base in is that no pros aren't getting degrees before going pro and certainly arent getting meaningful ones. The guys getting degrees first are fringe players

17. mynamespat

I believe those numbers were based on active professional players in their respective sports at the time of the study. It isn't including the Jordans and Shaqs who get degrees after retirement; it doesn't include honorary degrees. I'll trust the numbers over your feels.

MIGuy and -jeffB like this.
  18. baseball21

Sorry for trying to have a real discussion with you.
    Lemme guess that 2011 "article"

My bad for engaging

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  19. mynamespat

It's ok. My bad if I came off a little short.

so.... Should I buy gold or silver? ;P

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Silver seems low to me at $22.

21. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

WELL SIMPLE MINDED... ITS COMMON KNOWLEDGE IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK

Draft saved Draft deleted