Should You Buy Gold or Silver?? Coin Shop Owner's Advice!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think someone was hoping you didn’t realize the real value of it.

fretboard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Wow! I just looked it up on ebay. Every time I tell my wife how much money I could make selling a coin, she says, "Then why don't you sell it!"

daniel a DiBiasio likes this.
  4. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I forgot to tell you... Thanks for your information. Now, I don't feel so bad that I spent that much for the coin.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

First, don’t tell your wife. Lol Second, I’ve spent a lot more than that for a coin or a bill for my collection.

daniel a DiBiasio likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You got some really sweet deals and I'm glad you realized it! You bought a 2009 at a phenomenal price, and they're always in demand! Now is a great time to sell but I wouldn't, and if you do don't sell at a coin shop! :D

7. Captain Sully

Captain Sully Active Member

still hedging on Silver at 24-25 Max price. Crypto is coming to America for sure and I think I read the fed is developing its own Crypto Program. Silver hangs in there somewhere for growth potential I believe.
    S

8. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

gee I wonder what a coin shop owner will say...

9. KeyHunter

KeyHunter Supporter! Supporter

I'm up to my whatsis in gold purchases (adding to existing piles) this past 12 months and am going to take a breather. I don't do silver anymore since Spring '21 when I sold my 7 year accumulation of ~700 oz. ...and bought gold with it. I've FINALLY started to pay attention to Cryptos and doing research to dip my toe into blockchain technology innovators, heavy users and influencers now available on a couple ETFs. Since EVERYTHING crypto and digital is/will be built on a blockchain foundation for global commerce I've decided this is the less risky and volatile route (vs the currency itself). The US and other countries are developing their own digital currencies; China was the first outta the gate with their "public test" digital yuan/renminbi and banning Bitcoin nationwide. China has intimated that other nation digital currency systems MUST be compatible to theirs (but they might make some concessions and meet halfway tech-wise)...since China rules-the-world fuels my belief that conventional Bitcoin etc NOW have no long term future and new specific currency products will evolve based on the global finance system and demands of Great Reset criteria.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

so you own like ten whole ounces of gold.

11. KeyHunter

"(adding to existing piles)"...
    10 NEW (silver-financed) 2021 ounces in addition to the previous 70 oz. = 80 ounces of gold.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  12. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Why do you act like that ? NICE STASH KEYHUTER THATS GREAT!!

13. KeyHunter

Thanks Slack. Silver and gold go together like peas and carrots but with different uses and financial behaviors. Forced to be frugal I have dollar cost average silver purchases since 2005. I don't look at individual metals as a means to themselves but as tools to preserve wealth through exposure to BOTH. Advice from the founder (RIP) of my LCS..."accumulate big piles of silver and convert some to small piles of gold". That way you have exposure and reap the benefits of BOTH metals. The gold/silver ratio at the time was favorable to sell (a contrarian attitude since most silver fans hold forever or sell at a loss). I faced the wrath of silver stackers but, knowing the silver 100+ year performance trends realized that the chances of it staying around/over $30 oz were SLIM so I chose to sell high. At that time silver buying hype on the 'net was obscene, EVERYONE is buying silver (everyone always jumps on the train when an investment is running high which led to high premiums) I did the opposite: sell high. Silver today is ~$22/oz range and slowly trending down...I'll dip my toes in again when it reaches a floor but at present (and understanding the different market manipulations to keep prices down on both metals) my meager cash allocation all goes to gold instead of splitting it between the two.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    Garlicus likes this.
  14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Lets not kid ourselves, unless your LCS is a good friend to you and you buy from
    them often thats one thing but if your in a unfamiliar shop there going to steer
    you to what makes them money !

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

A RN and a dishwasher are both people. They both face the same grocery prices, rent prices, gas prices. Yes, the RN ought to be rewarded for dedicating time and attention to education, and for the importance of the work they do -- more, I'd say, than the hospital CEO who's bringing down many hundreds of dollars an hour.

But the market is driven by market forces, and right now those market forces include very few people willing to wash dishes for $10 or $15 an hour. And the dishes do still have to be washed.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Lets be real though no one is hand washing dishes. All this is doing is speeding up the implementation of more automated systems just like what happened before where all of a sudden you can now do automated ordering to reduce the number of employees. Right now yes the employees have the upper hand, but it wont be that long until systems are implemented that reduce the number necessary just like has happened every time

17. Cinco71

Cinco71 Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you keep out the undocumented. Those are the ones who primarily did those jobs for a lot less pay than what Americans were willing to take. Shut those immigrants out, and suddenly you have lots of unfilled jobs that others aren't desperate yet enough to sign-up for.

18. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

sure and we'll have flying cars and jetpacks too.

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Have you ever seen a commercial kitchen?
    Well, a little bit, but I think that's speeding up more due to computer "wages" (amount of money to buy and run a given amount of computing power) dropping by half year after year after year. When I was in grad school, "voice to text transcription" was still right up there with flying cars and fusion power. The difference is, the "ten years in the future" for voice recognition actually came. And we've thundered right on past it, to the point where pocket-sided quad-rotor robots are now cheap enough to be stocking stuffers, and self-driving cars are visible in our future-looking high beams.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes and worked in them in college, have you? The vast majority have commercial grade dish washers

The cost of running a computer is much cheaper than paying someone 20 or 30 dollars and hour all day long if you can replace it with an electric bill. The computing power cost isn't the main driver, the wages and benefits of unskilled labor for what was supposed to be entry level jobs is what is driving it. These jobs getting these wages now spiking prices will get replaced and it wont be all that long. They were supposed to just be entry level jobs for teens and younger people that either move up or move on, not wage to raise a family on

21. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

robots can't clean a restaurant, and it's hard work. I know I wouldn't

Draft saved Draft deleted