Should there be a separate forum for bullion?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Peter T Davis, Apr 19, 2006.

?

Should we have a bullion section?

1. Yes, set it up

59 vote(s)
    57.3%
  2. No, it's not needed

25 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. Doesn't matter

19 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. rick

rick Coin Collector

I don't think the occassional bullion related thread is too distracting for the most part (except one - but it's more of a small annoyance). I agree that the subject of bullion prices and numismatics are, somewhat, loosely connected in general.

I guess I don't find these threads any more of a problem than the countless repeat topics based on common questions.

On the other hand, if you do create another forum, I don't see what it would hurt either. I think people would be just as happy to check the activity there if they are interested in the subject.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

I don't think a bullion forum is necessary, myself. Maybe a medal coin forum, though...

;)

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

pilot maybe?

5. CoinDude08

CoinDude08 New Member

^ I agree totally, if you dont like bullion, dont go to the bullion forum, if you do like bullion, go to it and read/post about what you want regarding bullion. I personally have gotten interested in bullion latley with the silver and gold increases so a place to discuss all of that wouldnt be too bad in my opinion.

6. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

ROTFL very nice!:hammer:

7. Fishman1113

Fishman1113 New Member

I agree with Moen. But I would also like to see a seperate forum for bullion.

Brent

8. ussaty

ussaty Senior Member

If you need a separate page for bullion then you should also break everything else up as well. One page for Morgan Dollars, one page for Franklin halves, one page for 1909s vdb pennies...so on and so forth. I enjoy seeing a number of different discussions on the same forums without having to sort through all the topics.

Who knows, someone might see a discussion about something they previously knew nothing about and now their interest is piqued, whereas they might not have run across the subject had they had to click onthe specific chat page to read about it.

Personally I know nothing about world coins, and I don't intend to visit that portion of the board. Although if I ran across a topic on world coins in another board I might read about it.

I think the whole Idea is to educate the people that use this site, so lets not make it so difficult to get the information out!

9. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

I like that Ideas as I collect Bullion Bars and rounds too...

I have about 10 different 10 oz Bars, most of them I have a 1oz Bar to match and some a 1 oz round to match too...

Then I have about 40 different 1 oz ""Art Bars" and about 15 different 1 oz "Art Rounds"....

I've always got my eye open for some I don't have...

10. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

So as it sits with 63 people voting the score is:

Yes, set it up 38 - 60.32%
    No, it's not needed 16 - 25.40%
    Doesn't matter 9 - 14.29%

How many does it take either way to decide???

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just one - the guy who owns the place ;)

12. Old Silver

Old Silver New Member

Sounds like many are tired of hearing all the bullion clatter, so maybe a separate forum IS needed. So Peter get ready. If this is the trend then we will soon need a grading forum, roll-searching forum, found in circulation forum, cent - dollar forums, etc.. Before it's over you may have the longest coin forum in history.:D

13. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

Not really sure if its worth it in the long run. The reason we have seen so much talk on bullion is a direct result of the recent run up and volitality in the metals market. (Although I must admit, I'm guilty of a few posts, I'm not sure how much use a dedicated bullion forum would hold its own beyond the current interest

14. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[QUOTE='Ol Silver]if this is the trend then we will soon need a grading forum, roll-searching forum, found in circulation forum, cent - dollar forums, etc.[/QUOTE]I totally disagree.
    • Grading is clearly coin-related, affecting US collectors to a greater degree than World collectors - at least in the MS/PF grades - but still affecting us all to some extent.
    • Found in circulation can only apply to coins, as exonumia - including bullion rounds - doesn't routinely circulate.
    • Cents, dollars, yen, stotinki, pence, rubles, annas, reales, baht, etc., etc., etc., are all coin denominations.
    The listed topics all share a characteristic that prattle about bullion lacks - being discussions of things that are "collectible" first, and "investible" only secondarily. Bullion is "investible" first, second and always.

I can read all I want to about investing in Bullion in just about any investment forum I choose to participate in, and that's where the subject belongs. I voted for a bullion forum only after a great deal of soul searching, because pragmatically I believe that if there is a bullion/investment forum, those interested in posting the hour-by-hour (or even minute-by-minute) fluctuations in silver/gold/platinum prices are likely to go there; but it has been demonstrated that they are not willing to go to the GD forum, which IMHO is the only place in CoinTalk where the subject belongs. :headbang:

Anyhow, that's my 2 centesimi/pfennig/pice/sen/kopeks/salung worth.:rolleyes:

15. TOLS196024

TOLS196024 New Member

Although I am personally very interested in bullion, I have to say that there is no need for a seperate bullion forum. While there have been several informative and helpful threads about silver in the US forum, most of them are simply an unnecessary daily spot price update. I enjoy discussing the PM market, but that can be done quite easily in the general discussion forum, and I just can't see the need of creating a whole new forum for this subject. Although, I must admit that I do like the idea of putting the Kitco ticker on the main page....

Well, those are my thoughts and they're worth every cent you paid me for 'em :)

16. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Why create another forum and take up more bandwidth when those who dont want to read about bullion can just skip the topic? no one is forced to read what they dont want, or perhaps that is too dificult LOL

De Orc :kewl:

17. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

Take up more Bandwidth????

It might take up a few more "k" in storage space, but its not going to eat up bandwidth...

Thats the worst reason yet to oppose this... You might as well just of said, because I don't like the idea. It would have been more accurate...

18. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Yes, bandwidth is not an issue with this.

19. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

smullen Ok so I am not a computer genius like you (Bandwidth Kiobites all the same to me) but it still takes up room for no good reason, and also my reasons dont have to meet with your aproval so kindly dont be so rude in future. I dont believe that I said I did not like the idea what I inferd was that it is allready caterd for adequatly.

De Orc :computer:

20. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

I'm sorry if you took it as rude, it wasn't ment to put you down or be an attack...

Its just my opinion and it stands...

I think you origianl comment:

Could be considered just as rude.... Not a big deal...

Back to my point and to further what I was saying...

Not only would it not take up additional bandwidth, but the addition of a new forum would not take up much space either... Just the Space of a few charectors...

This website/Forum is really just a big database (most likely SQL or something simmilar) and adding a new subtopic area is just one line of text...

Taking up less space then this message...

Then all the messages about Bullion or whatever the new topic created would be, would be grouped under that title...

So I think my original comment was correct... Maybe my wording did not meet your approval, but I'm not sure it needs to...

You just don't like the idea, which is cool, you have your right to that... But your were not real strong...

End the end, I don't think my opinion or yours by itself really means much...

I think it comes down to the vote of the people as a whole and if TPTB feel like taking 2 minutes out of their day and clicking a few buttons and typing the Title of the new Subforum...

21. airedale

airedale New Member

I like it. Breaks the monotony of recent roll searches and grade this or that.

Draft saved Draft deleted