should I sell my 1 gram gold bar and buy some alittle more weighty?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by AlexN2coins2004, Dec 11, 2009.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

I got a 1 gram gold bar such as the one in the picture. (same kind of card and bar on it)

I got it a few months ago for $35.03 including shipping and I see the same type of bar going for about $50 or more in some cases then add shipping to that!

I know this is kinda small potatoes compared to just about anything else on here but would I be better off upgrading by selling it and then buying a fractional from apmex with the money and other money I have?

I just would rather have my money in the best investment even if some of it makes me have to work a bit. :D

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Saor Alba

Saor Alba Senior Member

Anyone who buys it is going to pay quite a bit less than spot. I would keep it as a novelty - which is all anything usually under 10 grammes are generally considered to be novelties.

I buy 2.5 and 5 gramme bars to give as gifts in E. Europe but I would never buy them as an investment. The markups are just too high on them.

4. WearyTraveler

WearyTraveler Junior Member

If you buy a larger bar (or anything - for that matter) from APMEX, their shipping is going to eat up half of the money you get from your 1 gram bar. It's simply not worth it for a smaller transaction.

If you're looking to upgrade, I suggest looking to buy / sell in a forum (CT or elsewhere) or that auction site... DYODD!

At least that way you'll get a fair deal on shipping that won't eat away at any money you net from the sale.

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I would just hold onto your gram and watch gold prices.
    I bought a 5 gram Johnson/Mattey bar a couple years ago for $115.
    That could possibly sell today for $185 to $200. However my position is long so I am not selling.

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I agree. The people buying the undersized bars are probably going to be disappointed if they are buying for investment purposes.

7. Hudson James

Hudson James Junior Member

Thats cute. I've never seen a bar that small before.

8. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

I got it as my 1st gold piece I wanted to be able to know exactly what the stuff looks like other then it's a gold color or yellow. :D As I have been out panning for the stuff and having it in a ziplock bag right there for me to see and compare. It's worked great for me as I have found 42.8349 grams of the good stuff in the raw state. I took that 42.8349 grams to an assayer and they said I found the mother lode it being 23 karat. :D Of course I didn't just keep the good stuff I found out in the field the other gold of less karats I sold most of and used that money to buy more Gold in coinage form.

Now that I actually have Gold that is nice to look at and don't really need this bar as my eyes are pretty tuned to keep on the look out for the ruff stuff. I feel that I might be better off selling it assuming it's not best to keep it in an investment. and just upgrade to something that will actuallly appreciate in value. I only say this because in my limited experience in this hobby I haven't really heard of gold bars going up in value unless the price goes up. If I am wrong on this I would really like to know why.

As for upgrading I would not just go out and only buy 1 coin from say apmex and pay out $20 shipping for said coin. I would instead just wait for a dip and wait for myself to have the money to make a decent size order. Thus keeping the shipping cost per coin/bullion low. Of course if anyone on Cointalk would like to trade for it for say some ASE's or Gold Coinage I am not against that either.

Draft saved Draft deleted